baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I think as a film its better than IM1 but RDJ elevates IM more than evans as Cap. That is the difference. Otherwise Cap2 has better supporting cast and I believe better flow. But IM1 1st half is the best thing Marvel has ever done. In fact even if you add Spidey and XMEN, I think its up there with X2. but finale of marvel produced flicks are weak. X2 is much better in that regard.

• Like 1

This movie was overhyped big time. It was ok, i enjoyed first one more. I felt movie had some nice scenes, but found some part boring, not interesting and dragging. I heard the movie supposed to be political thriller with suspense, but it was predictable. It is definitely not the best marvel movie as so many people are claiming.

6/10

Excellent movie!  The acting and characterization are fabulous, and all of the actors deliver fine performances with Evans, SLJ and, of course, Redford leading the pack.  I had a few nitpicks regarding specific parts of certain scenes, but overall this film is technically, thematically and structurally fantastic.  TA2 has an excellent hand-off.

Edited by Ruthie

Can't remember what I rated this initially, but it's now an A and in my top five SH films of all time. I watched it for a third time today and my only real gripe is how his shield deflects at times and absorbs at others.

• Like 2

I love this movie. The action sequences are brilliant. The film is funny when it tries to be. Throughout the film there are such wonderful character moments. I was 100% in to every second of this movie. I'll be honest i almost cried

10/10

The movie started off intruiging and fresh. After about 1h 15m the movie fell into a generic comic book / mindless action flick and everything was getting lost due to trying to hard. I wish they would streamline these movies more, cut the excess 30 minutes of fat and stop setting these movies up for future releases.

C

• Like 1

Just got this on DVD and watched it again. Man, one of the best Superhero films and a great film in general. Action choreography was fantastic (probs best action sequences in a CBM), great performances, story (loved the Hydra twist), humour and had emotion too. Thought the political commentary was slightly subtle, not too forced so that was great. Really looked forward to Cap 3 with the Russo's at the helm. 

A

Edited by Breakspear

hmmm, it's a very focused and intense movie, I liked that very much even if it's not that comic-y. They turned the fun factor down in comparison to practically every other MCU movie, so it's maybe the "Dark Knight" of Marvel comic movies - not a bad thing I think even if, judged purely by the popcorn factor, it could be a bit funnier.

• Like 1

hmmm, it's a very focused and intense movie, I liked that very much even if it's not that comic-y. They turned the fun factor down in comparison to practically every other MCU movie, so it's maybe the "Dark Knight" of Marvel comic movies - not a bad thing I think even if, judged purely by the popcorn factor, it could be a bit funnier.

I don't like it when people call it the "Dark Knight" of the Marvel Studio films since I found it to go back to the first Iron Man's roots. It did have the humour and the huge scale action set pieces (what TDK lacked). 

• Like 1

Glad it lived up to the hype. I liked the slightly darker tone they went for. I thought the action was well shot. And Redford seemed to be having fun playing the villain. Which I don't think he has before.Just a superbly made big budget Hollywood blockbuster. A

• Like 1

Definitely the best solo Marvel movie I've seen. Cap's a very engaging lead, earnest but not annoyingly so, and I appreciated how they had the guts to tell a simple story. You don't see that in many blockbusters these days. It also puts paid to the notion that Marve's remit should only be 'light and colorful' CBMs.

I do think they've missed a trick by pretty much ignoring Cap's reaction to being thrust into the modern world, though. With TA they didn't have time to address it, and by this movie he'd already been around for too long for it be explorable. Not a big deal, but there was probably an interesting movie there that'll now never be.

Edited by Untitled Hatebox Project
  • Like 1

Still a B-

Its pretty lifeless/colorless, not sure how to explain it. There's just a creative stamp missing. Also this movie should be called Captain America: The Baby Face.

The Winter Solider is barley in the movie, they don't even hide the fact its Bucky. Plus the actor is so plan. "But I know him" haha trying to act along side Redford, guy looks so out of place. Keep your mask on next time and your mouth closed.

There are like 3 scenes in here which really don't move the plot forward at all. The film could be trimmed a tad. 

• Like 1

It's a good film but it's a bit of a foster-child in Marvel's universe; it's much more an agency thriller than a superhero tale. And calling it "The Winter Soldier" was not a good idea since said WS was just a pawn in agency politics. Why not give it a good old-fashioned "Cap vs. Shield!!!" title?

They had to call it WS since any title like vs Shield or something to do with Hydra would give away the twist. WS allowed it to pay homage to the story and lead audiences off. 

Yuck, it is even worse than I remember.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier was doomed from the day Hydra was included in the script, their villainous organization has no place in any semi-serious movie like this one, a movie that tries to say something. It's way way too cartoonish, even for the lighthearted film universe that Feige has built so far. In The Fist Avenger, Hydra worked just fine because the setting was WW2, a b&w view of the world was/is much more acceptable than it would be today.

Steven Rogers is a bad character, no two ways about it. There is no conflict, no character development, nothing that might interest us in his journey, to make us care.  Focusing the film on its subtitle character and his interaction with Captain America would be a step in the right direction, but the Winter Soldier has a total of 10 minutes of screen time, half of it is all action. 

On top of that, Marvel Syle of doing things is all over the film:  inappropriate humor,  soulless CGI climax, double standards,  plot twists telegraphed from scene 1, and the refusal to kill anyone important and raise stakes as a consequence, something that this movie desperately needed.

"I'm With You Till' the End of the Line" was one of the rare moments where Marvel wasn't on auto-pilot. 40/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Watched it today for the second time (first time was in theaters). It's more cool than I remembered, but also more flawed. I like the fact that it's more serious than the other entries in the Marvel universe and I appreciate the effort of making something unique. But there are some plot holes and inconsistencies with other movies in the MCU, which wouldn't bother me if everything in the franchise wasn't so connected. Even in the action scenes there are some problems with plausibility. It's an entertaining film, but also forgettable. Definitely nothing extraordinary as fans like to think. It's very flawed and could've used more work on the script and in the creation of the action scenes. 

6/10

• Like 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is a truly incredible piece of blockbuster filmmaking. Serving as a sequel to both The First Avenger and The Avengers, it never feels over-stuffed, perfectly focused on Cap. Yet Black Widow, Falcon, and Nick Fury are all well-utilized too. Evans' performance is once again fantastic, embodying Steve Rogers emotionally and physically. Redford is a highlight as Marvel's best non-Asgardian villain, and Johansson is pretty good as Black Widow yet again. Mackie's a fun addition to the cast too, but the real star of the movie is the action. It's insanely well-choreographed, and although it may not be shot perfectly (damn that pesky PG-13 rating requiring shakey cam!), it's always a thrill to watch. The plot seems more important than it actually is in terms of ramifications for the MCU, but it still is appropriately enthralling. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an excellent superhero action film, and the best Earth-set Marvel Cinematic Universe film yet. A