Films

A Monster Calls | Limited Release: December 23; Wide Release: January 16 (1,500 theaters) | Based on the Book

41 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

It feels like The Iron Giant meets Never Ending Story with Groot as the star.

Never heard of the book before. 

No,no, and no...

A Monster Calls is a Drama about pain and loss.

A very,very,very SAD movie.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

No,no, and no...

A Monster Calls is a Drama about pain and loss.

A very,very,very SAD movie.

Problem is that "Manchester By The Sea" is a movie with almost exactly the same theme,and the acclaim it got sort of made "A Monsters Calls" into a also ran.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Problem is that "Manchester By The Sea" is a movie with almost exactly the same theme,and the acclaim it got sort of made "A Monsters Calls" into a also ran.

I haven't even seen AMC, but I've certainly not heard anyone make this exact argument before. Why would MBTS damage AMC's potential? They target very different audiences and even if they're thematically similar (again, I can't say), they're certainly told from different perspectives using very different storytelling tools and devices.

• Like 6

On 1/5/2017 at 0:07 PM, dudalb said:

Thats a problem considering A Monster Calls was a very good movie and Manchester was a complete pile of shit.

This seemed like a movie that wasn't sure of its target audience. Superficially it looks like a fantasy for kids but the PG-13 rating and the raw, emotional themes on display made it look too intense for them. I can't see a double date going for something like this the way I could MBTS or La La Land.

I haven't read it, but I've seen a huge amount of love for the book (and the author's other works) online, mostly from YA readers. A lot of those people have also said it wasn't what they were expecting at all and that it's kind of difficult to specify the genre, so I guess it makes sense that they've had trouble figuring out the target audience.

Edited by amelin
  • Like 1

Why have I only just heard about / discovered / seen the trailer for this today? Its already been out for a while in some places, had a limited release in others and transitioning into wide release now, yet still not out in Australia for another few months. Dont recall seeing any marketing or whatnot to bring my attention to it earlier. Geez whats going on! Because I just saw the trailer and...

.... It looks fantastic. Amazing trailer!

Inspired and beautiful visuals.

I've since read the book synopsis and a bunch of reviews to ascertain that the subject material (and by extension: issues raised, questions faced, life lessons and realities to be learnt) are anything but easy or child friendly.

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 1

It's a fantastic film but I completely agree with the above sentiments about demographics. Having only seen the trailer and the poster, I went into it thinking it was a kids/family film - it's very much an adult drama. There were quite a few children in my screening and afterwards I heard them say they didn't understand the movie.

• Like 2