grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

#BillyMagnussenWuzRobbed

But sounds like a very fun role for Gosling, who already proved in The Nice Guys that he's great at comedy. Congrats to Hollywood for succeeding in finding a way to somehow generate actual intrigue in a Barbie movie lol.

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Does this have a release date?

It's supposed to begin shooting in early 2022 so it's likely that they're aiming for Summer 2023. Maybe in late July/early August so it can develop staying power through the fall.

Should be another hit for Greta Gerwig

WB's 2023:

Wonka (March)

Shazam (June)

Furiosa (June)

Coyote vs Acme (July)-- is this happening? Same weekend as Nolan's new film

Color Purple (Dec)

Some of these can totally move around. Sounds like a fun summer comedy but WB giving this their prime Oct release would be even more promising

But

4 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

gosling is cute but hes no ken. long face, long nose, close together small eyes...

I assume they wanted a name because Henry Cavill, Matt Bomer, Josh Hartnett, Josh Duhamel all still exist, work regularly, and basically look like human versions of the toy doll. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

For me he's not a Ken because he's not generic looking. But whatever, he's close enough and he'd knock it out of the park in the acting department.

Gosling has never been as big of a thing as people thought he would become post NOTEBOOK. In 2023, many women will be into Barbie than Ken in the Barbie movie and that isn't good for financials. The person who gets the role doesn't need to be famous so much as they need to be traditionally pretty. 

288504-120215-ryan-gosling.jpg

vs.

2048x2730-henry-cavill-43-jpg-3efbd12a.jMatt-Bomer-450x600_0.jpg

3g76HuJQa2vp6DXIWYQLBXDQNvybJ3YLWtyOk3AW

83e1f6b1967b846cb159aa9c570c3da7.jpg

11 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

You guys are way too obsessive on who should play Ken in a goddamn Barbie movie lmao

Unless this movie will be very different than expected, the beauty of the 2 leads is going to be a massive selling point for this concept. Robbie has a "made in a lab" bone structure. Gosling? Studio needs to cast someone prettier and play the media angle. Pay for a big name (Hemsworth, Cavill), elevate a younger, less known face (Jacob Elordi?), make it a comeback film (Josh Hartnett, Josh Duhamel)...need to do something to get buzz.

There need to be women saying "I will see that movie just to look at ____________". Nobody is going to say about Gosling. 

Edited by excel1

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

There need to be women saying "I will see that movie just to look at ____________". Nobody is going to say about Gosling. 

Are you f'in serious???  😂  You must not have talked to many straight women lately... This will play juuuuuuuust fiiiiiiine.  

Edited by Macleod

16 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Are you f'in serious???  😂  You must not have talked to many straight women lately... This will play juuuuuuuust fiiiiiiine.  

I know many straight women who love the guy including my wife, and they're all over 30 and won't be seeing this movie either way. How many 18-20 year girls are out there oogling Ryan Gosling? Zero. If you're going to go with an older, more established actor, they need to 100% look the part in the eyes of the younger crowd.

This is just reality and I am sure many producers know this. Gosling isn't a box office draw to begin with, and his sex appeal is basically limited to women who remember The Notebook back in 2004. His fanbase aged out in the early 2010s - shortly after his peak in 2011's Crazy Stupid Love -  and it frankly shows on his box office record aside from La La Land. First Man, Gangster Squad, The Nice Guys - he isn't a draw. 

It is a straight up financial decision. You need a male version of Margot Robbie and he certainly isn't that. If you're going to go older, more established route, they need to look the part. They'll get more buzz out of dolling up Josh Hartnett or Ashton Kutcher and making it their comeback movie than casting Ryan Gosling.

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1