grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

40 minutes ago, joselowe said:

The “go woke go broke” crowd literally goes from Barbie to TLM every other day! Aren’t they tired yet?

The fun thing is everything you see until now of this movie is just what Barbie is since the 1959.

An adult woman who makes jobs, has her own house and car and just a boyfriend. Barbie was very innovative and feminist since the start.

Before her dolls where just babies and girls have to be "their mothers" and take care of them.

With Barbie you have an adult woman, her friends, her pool and you make a party. And she can be a doctor and an astronaut. 

First Barbie astronaut was made in 1965, 4 years before 1969!.

Nothing in this movie at the moment seems particolary woke or different from what barbie brand always has been.

I mean even the first black barbie in the dolls market was made in 1968 (!) so they can't even complain with their "they are cancelling us, the black barbies are here".

What in the last decades seems surpassed and most discussed in the barbie brand is how Barbie beauty is very "victoria's secret", so Mattel has changed a lot of things in ther body rapresentation.

But even in that, they really focused on Margot Robbie who looks like that and seems the barbie at the centre of the story. They didn't risk the backlash with a "fat barbie" or "a different looking barbie" etc.. (probably the film will be about these issues too but right now is just not there).

So i don't really know what they want...but well i'm sure these persons 25 years ago would be there to talk about how shrek is woke,  pirates of the carribean is woke or even Harry Potter. So they just have a business and money to make with these videos, that's the thing. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Barbiebros and Kensisters, we absolutely cannot stop winning! Oppenheimer got R rating to have an excuse when Barbie OW triples its OW. As if sex scene is pivotal for a movie about an atomic bomb. Must have been added in reshoots. Kenergy is real. 

• Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

This is their day job, they're not ever going to stop because they need that ad money, there's no point in giving them attention.

I’m almost jealous of what an easy way to make a living these guys found for themselves. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 11:34 AM, Maggie said:

27M views and most importantly, 441k likes. This is about to explode at the BO. 100M OW incoming

FOr me, if this happens, it's a case of Home Town (Sacramento) Girl Makes GOod.

10 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Thor: Ragnarok got more trailer likes than Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Trailer views and likes don't mean anything.

SW have historical data of low trailer views in it´s first days for some reason so...

And while of course it´s stupid to think huge likes and engagement necessarily means huge box office, it´s a strong indication of hype, especially for a movie that while based on IP, is not really in a stablished franchise or something

Edited by ThomasNicole

8 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Thor: Ragnarok got more trailer likes than Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Trailer views and likes don't mean anything.

1) this is not a "geek movie". Its audience its not necessarily an online audience. The fact is so viral even when its core audience is not 100% an internet audience makes more proof of how big can be, and not only its core knows about the movie (the little mermaid trailer made half of barvie views).

2) it's not a saga so even if barbie is well know such numbers are more impressive and imo more a proof of actual interest than casual people watching a marvel trailer or a star wars trailer. 

19 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Question… wasn’t Detective Pikatchu super viral with every promotional thing that was released before its premiere and eventually it sort of disappointed?

Key difference being no one's going around making barbie>endgame, barbie>tlk and whatnot clubs. And DP numbers for Barbie would already be pretty good to be honest. People saying this will do well aren't, for the most part, predicting it to be like a 1b+ film or anything.

Edited by JustLurking

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Question… wasn’t Detective Pikatchu super viral with every promotional thing that was released before its premiere and eventually it sort of disappointed?

no.

Barbie is viral everywhere, pokemon weren't. 

I think there was a natural curiosity with it being the first live action Pokemon thing which led to big numbers, but ultimately it wasn't the movie the fans wanted. feels like a different situation.

And yes, if this movie ends up "just" doing Detective Pikachu numbers that would still be pretty good. I'm expecting more though.

4 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

The way I see it is people kinda went nuts only to see the Pokemons in live-action but no real interest in the movie. Fans knew about Detective Pikachu but for GA it was all about Ash, Mitsy, Brock and Pikachu which wasn't the case.

Barbie on the other hand actually looks what people reminds of Barbie and trailers have done a pretty job telling what this is going to be with audiences seemingly endorsing that self-discovery story.

Maybe there's a barrier I don't know about but I can't get what people refer to when they say "I don't know who the audience for this is" because at least in Latam people have been quite open accepting this fares a more adult approach which is nurturing hype; audiences who grew up with Barbie's home video movies now can relate to this.

Only thing it needs is just being an actual relatable story.

• Like 1