A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

. Without Walt Disney World, why would anyone be motivated to vacation in this state?

I don't disagree with anything else you've said, but as someone who used to live in the Panhandle, plenty of people visit there mainly because it's cheap and by a beach. Culture? Ha.

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I don't disagree with anything else you've said, but as someone who used to live in the Panhandle, plenty of people visit there mainly because it's cheap and by a beach. Culture? Ha.

I mean, yeah. Our beautiful beaches away from the more swampy parts are pretty much the only other thing our state has going for it. :lol:

Edited by filmlover

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mean, yeah. Our beautiful beaches away from the more swampy parts are pretty much the only other thing our state has going for it. :lol:

Florida's problem is they think that they still have monopoly on being a winter resort for people on the East coast. With the advent of inexpnesive jet travel in the early 70's, , that is no longer the case. I think Disney coming there sort of shielded them from what would have been q massive loss of toruist dollars by giving them something other then the climate to attract people. Now Florida seems on the verge of throwing that way because a few Hillibillies and Relgious nutjobs seem to have taken control of the Florida GOP.

Guaranteed, any other companies thinking about building a resort in Florida are going to think twice after this.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Florida's problem is they think that they still have monopoly on being a winter resort for people on the East coast. With the advent of inexpnesive jet travel in the early 70's, , that is no longer the case. I think Disney coming there sort of shielded them from what would have been q massive loss of toruist dollars by giving them something other then the climate to attract people. Now Florida seems on the verge of throwing that way because a few Hillibillies and Relgious nutjobs seem to have taken control of the Florida GOP.

Guaranteed, any other companies thinking about building a resort in Florida are going to think twice after this.

I don't think Disney even considers Ron "berating teenagers on camera over face masks" DeSantis that big of a problem in the long run for them because even if he's re-elected, they would only have to put up with him for another four more years (and will still be here once he's out, it's not like they can pick up Disney World and leave), if even that, depending on how big the domino effect from the scandals some of his closest allies are facing ends up being. The biggest change in all of this is arguably that they'll be much more selective about which politicians will be getting money from them going forward.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Disney even considers Ron "berating teenagers on camera over face masks" DeSantis that big of a problem in the long run for them because even if he's re-elected, they would only have to put up with him for another four more years (and will still be here once he's out, it's not like they can pick up Disney World and leave), if even that, depending on how big the domino effect from the scandals some of his closest allies are facing ends up being. The biggest change in all of this is arguably that they'll be much more selective about which politicians will be getting money from them going forward.

Oh, if Gaetz gets indicted, De Santis's whole "Protect the Children" posturing is going to look silly.

On 4/19/2022 at 9:46 PM, dudalb said:

If the rednecks in Florida are willing to hurt their economy just to "Own the libs" they are stupidier then even I thought.

They will not hurt their economy. They will merely put Universal and any future competitors on an even playing field with Disney. Disney will lose the advantage that allowed them to open Disney-MGM Studios before Universal could open their first theme park. 

If you think Disney can afford to move Walt Disney World to another state, then you are over-estimating the company’s financial might. They cannot afford to move.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

I'm sorry but all of this over Don't Say Gay is kinda dumb. But I guess it's all about proving a point and winning the "culture war" 🙄

And De Santis wanting to live in the White House Heaven Help us if he does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cookieleeann said:

I'm sorry but all of this over Don't Say Gay is kinda dumb. But I guess it's all about proving a point and winning the "culture war" 🙄

The patent dishonesty of calling this the "Don't Say Gay" bill when that wasn't the name is kind of what started the entire battle.   I hope DeSantis doesn't chicken out and let Disney "negotiate" some settlement since, iirc, this won't go into effect until next year.

This is the very definition of a self-inflicted wound. It all could have been avoided if Disney did not over-react from calls to get involved from people who did not have Disney’s best interests in mind. I am sure the people at Universal feel the same way as Disney does about the law. yet no one put any pressure on Universal to say a word, and they sure have not volunteered to join Disney either.

If Disney had just remained quiet for an extra week, this whole thing would have blown over, and people would have moved on.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

This is the very definition of a self-inflicted wound. It all could have been avoided if Disney did not over-react from calls to get involved from people who did not have Disney’s best interests in mind. I am sure the people at Universal feel the same way as Disney does about the law. yet no one put any pressure on Universal to say a word, and they sure have not volunteered to join Disney either.

If Disney had just remained quiet for an extra week, this whole thing would have blown over, and people would have moved on.

I see you are trying to say Disney should have not taken a stand about basic human rights because you don't agree with that political point. Why don't you go full mask off and say that LGBTQ+ individuals are not deserving of respect and rights instead of dancing around the point.

21 minutes ago, brothernero said:

The patent dishonesty of calling this the "Don't Say Gay" bill when that wasn't the name is kind of what started the entire battle.   I hope DeSantis doesn't chicken out and let Disney "negotiate" some settlement since, iirc, this won't go into effect until next year.

It is "don;t say gay" though, and that is AMAZING branding because it triggers snowflakes like you into pulling out the pedo and groomer accusations. I am done with your hatemongering on this board anyway and I think we are better off without you getting freaked out over pronouns

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The dissolution of Reedy Creek would be a total whatever...if it weren't for the fact that the real losers in all of this are Central Florida taxpayers who are about to see their taxes rise by 20% and inherit about a billion worth of debt. Not one but two counties will have to pay the price for a wannabe dictator's childish vendetta against any person or business who dare speaks against him (hardly the only awful, bigoted thing he's been doing lately, this just happens to be the one that's received the most national attention). All of this would make for incredible satire if it weren't horrifyingly real.

• Like 4