A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

The dissolution of Reedy Creek would be a total whatever...if it weren't for the fact that the real losers in all of this are Central Florida taxpayers who are about to see their taxes rise by 20% and inherit about a billion worth of debt. Not one but two counties will have to pay the price for a wannabe dictator's childish vendetta against any person or business who dare speaks against him (hardly the only awful, bigoted thing he's been doing lately, this just happens to be the one that's received the most national attention). All of this would make for incredible satire if it weren't horrifyingly real.

Here's the thing though - the dissolution isn't in effect till June 2023, that is not until after the midterms and after another legislative session when they can reverse it as well.

DeSantis is pretty much doing it to boost himself prior to the midterms, he doesn't care if the downballot people lose as long as he gets to show off. He gets to say he stripped "woke" Disney of it's privileges without ever needing to act on it or see the backlash this session at all.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Disney forces theaters to book marvel/sw films in their biggest theater for 3+week even if empty while take +10% more than competitors, not nice

They make deals. Theaters either agree or not. And they will never pass on the biggest franchise. 

So, keep crying. 

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Here's the thing though - the dissolution isn't in effect till June 2023, that is not until after the midterms and after another legislative session when they can reverse it as well.

DeSantis is pretty much doing it to boost himself prior to the midterms, he doesn't care if the downballot people lose as long as he gets to show off. He gets to say he stripped "woke" Disney of it's privileges without ever needing to act on it or see the backlash this session at all.

Oh, there's no doubt that this feud with Disney is all for show and that his unthinking followers are eating it up anyway. The fact that he's also been going after math books, the new congressional maps that limit the visibility of black voters, etc., along with this feud at the same time isn't a coincidence. It's so that stories like his delay of the release of records that may or may not tie him to the Gaetz saga get buried among the noise.

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

I see you are trying to say Disney should have not taken a stand about basic human rights because you don't agree with that political point. Why don't you go full mask off and say that LGBTQ+ individuals are not deserving of respect and rights instead of dancing around the point.

This is purely about politics and that is all. The bill does not say anything that deprives anyone of basic human rights. Any statement otherwise is gaslighting, like calling the bill the “don’t say gay” bill when the word “gay” does not appear in the bill.

I personally give respect to everyone, except some of the trolls here (not talking about you), so I am not going to attack people because you asked me to. That does not mean that I am going to pretend that this bill is something that it is not or that Disney should not have waded into the waters of a political debate about child education. Unless Disney wants to re-brand itself, which it does not.

Edit: I want to add that no argument is taking place. I am merely expressing my opinion. I once got into a back and forth with a poster named The Chad who was like threatening me physically (like most internet tough guys) and DeeCee came along to give me 2 warning points. I asked why since I did not resort to profanity or threats of violence, and the other guy did. I was told that the reason was that an argument took place. So I am making it clear that I am not arguing. 

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Now that they aren’t getting Florida special privileges I’m afraid theaters will have to give 70% to compensate :Venom:

Yeah starting with Eternals 2 and the Rian Johnson/Jenkins Star Wars films (That may or may not exist) :redcapes:

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, Hades said:

Yeah starting with Eternals 2 and the Rian Johnson/Jenkins Star Wars films (That may or may not exist) :redcapes:

I’m thinking more “starting with the first of 4 450M+ grossers this year”

Not to be blunt but why the fuck are people acting like Chapek and co. have a responsibility to anyone other than their stakeholders, i.e. their shareholders and employees? No question it was a serious financial fuck up to pick a fight with the state government and now their shareholders will pay. The twitterverse doesn't rule the world, even if it seems to rule some websites on the internet, and any late teens/early 20s somethings here who have been fooled into thinking it does will be in for a rude awakening as they get older. 

Disney's role in supporting human rights to make their parks, resorts, cruise lines, etc extremely friendly to them. It is feature them prominently in their content. It is to use their platform as a content creator to promote equality and fairness for everyone.

Disney's role should never have been to start corporate vs. government fights that they will likely lose at great expense. What a beyond stupid mistake. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Not to be blunt but why the fuck are people acting like Chapek and co. have a responsibility to anyone other than their stakeholders, i.e. their shareholders and employees? No question it was a serious financial fuck up to pick a fight with the state government and now their shareholders will pay. The twitterverse doesn't rule the world, even if it seems to rule some websites on the internet, and any late teens/early 20s somethings here who have been fooled into thinking it does will be in for a rude awakening as they get older. 

Disney's role in supporting human rights to make their parks, resorts, cruise lines, etc extremely friendly to them. It is feature them prominently in their content. It is to use their platform as a content creator to promote equality and fairness for everyone.

Disney's role should never have been to start corporate vs. government fights that they will likely lose at great expense. What a beyond stupid mistake. 

I mostly agree, but their own employees were publicly against the bill, not just the Cast Members being paid peanuts, but creatives, white collar workers, people who are less easily replaced. Disney isn't our friend, they don't have representation for our benefit, but theirs, but there was dissent within the company about it too.

They probably had some town hall meeting that amounted to "I'm glad we're having this conversation. It's time." during the lunch hour.

The optics were terrible, shilling cheap Pride merch while supporting these politicians with funds, but I do understand that they pay so the government will do what they want.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

This is the very definition of a self-inflicted wound. It all could have been avoided if Disney did not over-react from calls to get involved from people who did not have Disney’s best interests in mind. I am sure the people at Universal feel the same way as Disney does about the law. yet no one put any pressure on Universal to say a word, and they sure have not volunteered to join Disney either.

If Disney had just remained quiet for an extra week, this whole thing would have blown over, and people would have moved on.

This. All of this is on Chapek and the more it spirals out of control, the worse it looks for his chances at getting renewed. Hell, I bet even Chapek himself is beginning to regret taking this job.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 12:00 AM, Walt Disney said:

This is the very definition of a self-inflicted wound. It all could have been avoided if Disney did not over-react from calls to get involved from people who did not have Disney’s best interests in mind. I am sure the people at Universal feel the same way as Disney does about the law. yet no one put any pressure on Universal to say a word, and they sure have not volunteered to join Disney either.

If Disney had just remained quiet for an extra week, this whole thing would have blown over, and people would have moved on.

This guy gets it.

The people tubthumping the hardest for Disney to make a hard stance about the Dont Say Gay issue are now dead silent, or have moved on to some other shit. Few take corporate activism seriously and a quick "We value all LGBT people blah blah blah" statement FROM THE START would've been fine.

Chapek's first dumb statement could've been remedied. The second statement is what killed them. I dont know if its just a cultural difference between the UK and the US but a private mega corporation announcing intention to repeal a law enacted by elected officials, which also has next to 0 operational implications for that corporation, is insanity. It shouldn't be championed. Its weird and it was over the top.

Also let's admire this insane tweet from one the "Disney Say Gay" people that still actually cares

"MaKe diSneY WOrld InDoOrS". 

• Like 7

DeSatan unsurprisingly signed the bill that would revoke Disney's tax exempt privileges (though given that it won't go into effect until June of next year, a lot can happen between now and then), but all of this is hardly the most absurd Disney-in-politics headline of the week. That (dis)honor belongs to:

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

DeSatan unsurprisingly signed the bill that would revoke Disney's tax exempt privileges (though given that it won't go into effect until June of next year, a lot can happen between now and then), but all of this is hardly the most absurd Disney-in-politics headline of the week. That (dis)honor belongs to:

I don't think Disney or their shareholders are doing much laughing with the way their stock has performed the last few days since the DeSantis announcement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brothernero said:

I don't think Disney or their shareholders are doing much laughing with the way their stock has performed the last few days since the DeSantis announcement.

the last few days had to do with Netflix dragging down media stocks, but Disney has been under performing the market for the last 6 months+

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

It would be laughable if there weren't still so many of these doofuses in power positions.  

Edited by Macleod

Ehh, people acting like Disney is getting hurt by this or it was a mistake to speak out. I don't think either statement is true. First off this is 1st Amendment retaliation by DeSantis so that alone should invalidate the bill. Plus, there's other legal challenges besides the obvious 1A protections. Disney will maybe pay some legal fees, but that's about it. I also say maybe to legal fees because they most likely already have lawyers on their payroll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1