A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

8 minutes ago, JWR said:

Chapek should be fine provided there isn't another major snafu like in March and April.

CHapek has proved a remarkable talent for messng up, though.

And if there is a "Brain Drain" on Disney...talented people deciding they have had enough of Chaperk and heading elsewhere.....it would be a disaster for Disney.

Real showdown will be if Feige and Chapek start feuding.

I can't see how somebody who has made as many enemies at Disney as Chapek has can survive long term.

Board of Directors are notoriously slow to admit they made a mistake in choosing a CEO; which is why Chapek has some support there. But if things go south at Disney,,,and Disney is long overdue for some real turbulence....CHapek will be out.

• Like 1

That’s a jarring headline to read but if it is true that it’s an open secret that he was angling for the job and that he initially threw himself into the mix for the Warner job, Chapek has pretty clear grounds to fire him without ceremony…regardless of what people will say. Walden is more than enough to fill the shoes. 

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

CHapek has proved a remarkable talent for messng up, though.

And if there is a "Brain Drain" on Disney...talented people deciding they have had enough of Chaperk and heading elsewhere.....it would be a disaster for Disney.

Real showdown will be if Feige and Chapek start feuding.

I can't see how somebody who has made as many enemies at Disney as Chapek has can survive long term.

Board of Directors are notoriously slow to admit they made a mistake in choosing a CEO; which is why Chapek has some support there. But if things go south at Disney,,,and Disney is long overdue for some real turbulence....CHapek will be out.

C suite executives have left. Creatives have not. 

13 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

C suite executives have left. Creatives have not. 

But CHapek has already gotten a lot of the creatives mad.

I would bet that Chapek is going to be a disaster for Disney.

For not other reason then he seems to want to surround himself with Yes Men and sycophants, and that is the worst move any Executive can make.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

But CHapek has already gotten a lot of the creatives mad.

I would bet that Chapek is going to be a disaster for Disney.

For not other reason then he seems to want to surround himself with Yes Men and sycophants, and that is the worst move any Executive can make.

I don’t think he should remain CEO. He’s just not the guy. I think the reigns will be handed over sooner or later. Maybe someone like Staggs or Mayer returns, heck even Rice himself, Sarandos. Perhaps even Walden, Daniel, or D’Amarro will get a very quick ascent to the top. 

in fact I actually don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that privately the board has told him he’s not returning. He answers to the the chairman at the end of the day.  I think it’s possible the Board wants Dana Walden as the next CEO and that Rice needed to go for her pathway to be clear. 
Walden and Rice had been together for a very long time. To see that she’s inheriting his position and not leaving with him is surprising to me. I think she’s the best bet for who Chapek is replaced by. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I don’t think he should remain CEO. He’s just not the guy. I think the reigns will be handed over sooner or later. Maybe someone like Staggs or Mayer returns, heck even Rice himself, Sarandos. Perhaps even Walden, Daniel, or D’Amarro will get a very quick ascent to the top. 

CHapek ahs just made too many enemies, and seems to not have the people skills you need in that job. He also does not get that being Disney CEO is different then being the CEO for any other company; you reallly need to project a friendly warm image; the ghost of Uncle Walt is always with you. Even Eisner did that for the first 15 years of his being head of Disney, it is no coindicent when he began to lose that image that he begun his decline and fall as Disney CEO.

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

in fact I actually don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that privately the board has told him he’s not returning. He answers to the the chairman at the end of the day.  I think it’s possible the Board wants Dana Walden as the next CEO and that Rice needed to go for her pathway to be clear. 
Walden and Rice had been together for a very long time. To see that she’s inheriting his position and not leaving with him is surprising to me. I think she’s the best bet for who Chapek is replaced by. 

The problem I have with the succession plan is they had very few options when Iger left, pretty much Chapek or Mayer in the end. No one at Disney and certainly no one outside the company has the right experience to be a great CEO right off the bat in my opinion, we could get another Iger surprise (he did much much better than expected when he first got the job) but that seems unlikely. Problem is no one knows the Parks well enough while having the Hollywood relationship side of things as well, it is either one or the other. I could see a Co-CEO thing happening with a Media/Parks split or make it a prerequisite that Walden or whoever familiarise themselves with the Parks. There really isn't an easy great choice for CEO when the 2 most important aspects of the company are Streaming and Parks, Kareem is probably the person with the most overlap of those 2 segments but he seems like Chapek's closest ally (although that does mirror Iger/Eisner) but again don't know how good Kareem is at playing The Hollywood relationship game. 

Anyway as far as the Rice firing I think it does have to do with them fearing losing Walden, in which case they may have made the right choice (although handled the dismissal poorly) but we will find out for sure in the coming weeks. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 11:44 AM, brothernero said:

Well, if net worths have skyrocketed, then Dems should rout the GOP this fall.

Not when people are dumb to comprehend the concept of networths, how their may have changed, and how they may be responsible for it not growing as much as it should have. The gov's role is to create the conditions, personal responsibility dictates what often happens

I have thought for years, and it only grows - America has a massive intelligence people. The average person is a complete moron. They may be smart in some ways, but with government, they are much more easily swayed by a 30 second sound bite a decades long resume. It is terrible. The average person does not like someone who is clearly effective or competent as much as they like someone who reinforces their own self beliefs, however dumb they may. It's a total mess.

• Like 2

About Disney's (Fox) Searchlight Pictures....

I see some people in HSX are unhappy that Searchlight Pictures become a mostly streaming label.  But Searchlight Pictures's streaming movies actually receive bigger marketing than many theatrical art films.

For example,:

Searchlight Pictures will only release "Good Luck to You, Leo Grande" on Hulu this Friday, while Focus Features will open "Brian and Charles" in theaters. 

But on yesterday,  "Good Luck to You, Leo Grande" TV spot was shown on NBC nationwide, while "Brian and Charles" TV spot was only shown on (very few of) NBC's local affiliates.

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Some closure to the whole Disney/Florida fiasco that killed everyone's brain cells for two weeks

https://deadline.com/2022/06/dinsey-moving-parks-division-jobs-california-florida-1234794243/

Effectively Disney is nixing the move, 2026 is such a long way off that pretty much everyone who might've been affected is safe for now

They're basically waiting until DeSatan is out of office in the event he's re-elected in November (assuming he doesn't tell the state "get lost" in 2024 to go off and pursue his POTUS ambitions).

• Like 1

Non-paywalled version of the story can be read here:

https://news.yahoo.com/abigail-disney-poised-mount-shareholder-171738552.html

So it begins - question mark?

===

Reading through the Yahoo copy, it does seem like this is more an Opening Salvo/Long Shot bid than an immediate sign of impending doom.  Especially since Abigail isn't nearly in the same position, power wise, that Roy was a couple of decades ago.  Near as I can tell at any rate.

Still, these things can snowball if folks aren't too careful.  And "careful" hasn't exactly been a go-to descriptor for Chapek's handling of things of late.

Gosh... not happy with this.. I hope this means Pixar's future films will not go straight to disney plus. Like many of us pixar fans who grew up watching those movies in theaters they should stay in Theaters.. what does Chapek have against pixar?

• Like 1

Chapek has been pretty hands off with Marvel thankfully.

But the guy is going to be pushing Disney+ HARD the next 5 years. Pixar's next movies debuting on Disney+ for sure. Maybe another stupid 30 day theatrical window for Strange World like Encanto had. Only good thing is we might be getting Frozen 3 sooner than later with this guy in charge.

Edited by Mojoguy

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wait but he’s an awful CEO and everyone hates him the Internet  told me!

The internet (or me in this case) also told you "Come at the King, best not miss".

Anyway, as I said a few days ago, these are the opening salvos. It still remains, IMO at least, that Chapek has made folks unhappy with some/many of his decisions.  But not enough people yet.  Perhaps not ever.

As it is though, he's being "saved" by the success of Disney Plus and the parks. Should either of those start to get wobbly (or not meet the ever-shifting targets set by 'the industry'"?  Well, that's when that reservoir of ill-will might start to matter.

• Like 4