BK007

Wed #s (RTH) 22JS 5.7 HTTYD2 4.8 Mal 2.4

Six minutes longer than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Fandango doesn't even have a run time for it yet. 

So it's safe to say it's going to be 120 - 166 minutes long.

• Like 1

So it's 10 minutes longer than the last one. I don't see what the big deal is. 

Well the last one was about 40 minutes too long. Could have trimmed down about 5-10 minutes of the third act and huge chunks of the first and second act.

• Like 2

Do you really think it can make that much? Or are you being sarcastic?

I'm not being sarcastic at all.  I think it will make 30-34.  The Tuesday bump it got with families looks promising.  I also think Maleficent will fall 50% this weekend, which will signal that Dragon is starting to take over the family audience from now on.

• Like 1

I'm not being sarcastic at all.  I think it will make 30-34.  The Tuesday bump it got with families looks promising.  I also think Maleficent will fall 50% this weekend, which will signal that Dragon is starting to take over the family audience from now on.

I find it hard to agree with you but I'll be pleasantly surprised if this beats Think Like a Man Too.
  • Like 1

I hope you're right. But I'm projecting just under $30M this weekend DOM for Dragon 2. It's a shame that such wonderful animated adventure hasn't found much of an audience. Hell, there's barely any reviews for it even in the Review Movie forum here.

• Like 2

Fandango doesn't even have a run time for it yet. 

So it's safe to say it's going to be 120 - 166 minutes long.

We need Sean B and Halba to discuss this. They will get to the truth.

• Like 3

I cannot believe that Boxoffice.com is projecting Dragon 2 to only make 27.5 this upcoming weekend.  Seriously?  Considering the word of mouth and Flixster score, that movie is guaranteed to make 30-35 this weekend.  The weekend title is a toss up between Kevin Hart's comedy and Dragon 2.  What is the reasoning for them to project 27.5 for Dragon?

It is undeniable that Dragon 2 has great reviews and audience reactions, but I don't think it is that much outworldly, exceptionally well-received. The Lego Movie had better ratings on Rotten Tomatoes tho its Flixster score was slightly lower, DOFP and EoT have similar ratings. Another thing is that Dragon's average score on RT is relatively low for its 94% tomatometer score, being only 7.8. Its cinemascore - although I'm not really a huge believer of it - is also an A, not an A+ like Frozen, and even Maleficent got an A. I do think the WOM will help it not plummet for the next few weeks but nothing exceptional will happen.

And even for the WOM effect, I think there's a fine line between "it's great and well-made, I loved it" and "it's not perfect or anything but you should def go see it!" I think 22JS at this point is more of the latter, creating more buzz while Dragon is more like the former. 

Edited by yjs
  • Like 1

I cannot believe that Boxoffice.com is projecting Dragon 2 to only make 27.5 this upcoming weekend.  Seriously?  Considering the word of mouth and Flixster score, that movie is guaranteed to make 30-35 this weekend.  The weekend title is a toss up between Kevin Hart's comedy and Dragon 2.  What is the reasoning for them to project 27.5 for Dragon?

27.5m is reasonable. Thu will be ~4.5m. I can't see much above 28.5m.

8.32(+85%) + 11.23(+35%) + 8.98(-20%) = 28.53m

Those are optimistic bumps (http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=juneanimation12.htm). 28m or below is more likely.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1