Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Fucking impressive. What the hell, at the beginning of the year I thought this'd flop. It looked so dumb.

I'm pretty sure I made similar comments. I stand corrected Mr Gunn.

Wow i was a bit skeptical on GOTG box office chances. But this is amazing. Seeing fantastic reviews and great marketing all round. I think this is definitive proof that the Marvel brand is recognizable now. A bunch of nobodies in a movie that no one knew shit all about. Crazy. Well done Marvel, well deserved.

• Like 2

I wonder what Sony is thinking right now considering the declining performance of Spidey and the apparent huge overperformance of Guardians.

"Sinister Six will be our Guardians, guys. Right? Right, guys?"

• Like 18

I want to see other movies beside marvel movies. Would not be great if boyhood could break. I want to live in original movie universe.

GOTG is as original as you can get while being based on a source material but most of the great Hollywood films were based on something else. Jurassic Park, The Shining, Forrest Gump. Are they any less great because someone  came up with the idea in a different medium?

• Like 8

I want to see other movies beside marvel movies. Would not be great if boyhood could break. I want to live in original movie universe.

The last Marvel movie was released 5 months ago - there have been plenty of other movies to watch since then.   Blockbusters have ruled the summer since Jaws - it's not a new thing and it's not because of Marvel that Boyhood isn't making $300m. 

If it makes you feel better a decade plus ago Marvel as a  company was pulling in less than Boyhood and having to sell off their assets - right down to their file cabinets because they were bankrupt.  It's actually been a remarkable rise from the ashes for the company - and it's been done though making quality films from a product they've produced for decades and love.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 9

Love that number.....but thinking about a $100m ow I think is a bit premature at this point. 80m+ definitely seems real though.

How? It had the highest previews, and all the others got so close, in the mid 90s.

• Like 1