Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

11 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

It seems to me that the late night shows and YouTube videos are coming out way too late for this. Like right at release. Isn’t that process started a couple of weeks before 

well....WB used to do a rush and massive promo a week before released like aquaman

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

He obviously meant participation, that is the only thing mentioned in the rest of the comment. And the cast of Shazam does look significantly cheaper than usual (e.g. Aquaman or MoS).

Well in recent years, superhero movies in the $100M range (Deadpools, Venom, Logan) have been very profitable, only beaten in profits by the very top of the MCU after 20+ movies.

yes..it's participation....of course promo will be a huge ..it's WB and a movie like a star is born splash 100M++ for promo even tho the production budget only 30M...:hahaha:

The movie is really good, very funny and good introduction for the characters, kids are great, also good villain, and of course Levy made Shazam his own.

I'm glad my screening was in English, bc i don't want to imagine the jokes dubbed to spanish, i'm sure this lost its touch and of course this will hurt the movie performance.

I'm a super Marvel fan and i LOVE DC's work with recent movies, WW, Aqm and Shazam are all great imo 💙

Ps the finale is pure gold

• Like 3

A pity such a good movie will not do well at the box office; and its due mainly to bad release date and bad marketing imo.

I already watched this twice and might go for IMAX this weekend. Really enjoyable flick with lots of heart.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

The marketing isn’t bad and the release date isn’t bad. 

The marketing isn't bad, but the release date definitely isn't optimal. Everyone is caught up in the Endgame frenzy right now, which takes attention away from Shazam, which he would've otherwise gotten in another slot.

• Like 1

I don't know if it was the marketing or the release date but something feels off about a CBM with 94% on RT barely cracking $50M OW in this day and age. Also Im not hating on the film. I know that regardless of what it does it'll be a success because of the budget but I think it's fair for folks to ask what could have been. Who knows maybe this will surprise this weekend but from a tracking stand point, I am actually kinda bummed that it is tracking so low (domestically). And I dont know if it was the marketing (we did only get ONE trailer from summer until 2019) or if the release date killed it (people hyped about End Game and still watching Captain Marvel). 

I still think this movie could have been something special at the box office ala a mini Deadpool if given a better release date and/or marketing campaign. *It still could be but it is looking less likely as each day passes* 

Also who knows maybe the GA just isn't here for this character so regardless of release date or marketing, it would have done the same but again my feelings about this have more to do with the fact that its a very well received CBM and it sucks that its box office results may not reflect that given how well CBM have been doing lately. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There should’ve been a trailer in time for Aquaman, but I don’t know if that could’ve worked since the newest trailer didn’t generate any buzz, barely trended at all. It was nonexistent. The peak of this film’s marketing was in Comic-Con.

• Like 2