CJohn

Maze Runner: The Death Cure | Jan 26 2018 | Final Trailer on Page 18

4 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

God knows that I hate the Divergent franchise, but the only reason why the drop was so brutal, was because they added 3D for Insurgent, and then removed it, If Maze Runner had made the same thing, it would drop so hard as Allegiant.

And let’s wait till we know the budget before calling that it will be pure profit for Fox, from what we know, this movie had several problems that could has increased the budget, plus, if it goes below $200m WW, this could be another Alien: Covenant situation, IMO.

Maze Runner 2 already had 3D overseas. Besides, even if it cost 100M, I am sure the profits of the other two movies covered it. It will also do well enough OS. Divergent was never popular OS in the first place. This is a guaranteed hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Maze Runner 2 already had 3D overseas. Besides, even if it cost 100M, I am sure the profits of the other two movies covered it. It will also do well enough OS. Divergent was never popular OS in the first place. This is a guaranteed hit.

I’m talking about domestically, where Allegiant suffered because of the lack of 3D.

If it has the same kind of drop as Allegiant OS, it’s going to make $157m, considering the long abstinence -fatal for this kind of movie-, and the saturation of YA movies, I wouldn’t be surprised if it drops even harder, especially considering that it never exploded in LA, and as almost every franchise is dying in Europe. A sub $200m WW total is likely, which would be disastrous if the budget is higher than the second one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I’m talking about domestically, where Allegiant suffered because of the lack of 3D.

If it has the same kind of drop as Allegiant OS, it’s going to make $157m, considering the long abstinence -fatal for this kind of movie-, and the saturation of YA movies, I wouldn’t be surprised if it drops even harder, especially considering that it never exploded in LA, and as almost every franchise is dying in Europe. A sub $200m WW total is likely, which would be disastrous if the budget is higher than the second one. 

I think it is gonna do fine WW so I am just gonna leave this conversation :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Any reason you have such anger towards this film? You also act like Fox is depending on this movie or something 

I just hate the fact that these generic franchises (Divergent & Maze Runner) killed the interest of GA towards Dystopian YA movies, making THG’s movies suffer a lot thanks to this saturation. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I just hate the fact that these generic franchises (Divergent & Maze Runner) killed the interest of GA towards Dystopian YA movies, making THG’s movies suffer a lot thanks to this saturation. 

THG box office suffered thanks to splitting the final movie. They go with a one movie finale, we probably get a 400M or close movie again and a good farewell to the series instead of the petering out it did.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

THG box office suffered thanks to splitting the final movie. They go with a one movie finale, we probably get a 400M or close movie again and a good farewell to the series instead of the petering out it did.

Well I think though that the reception to the final movies wasn't close to the reception of the first two and arguably so.

But you are right that the division of the last movie hurt it's chances.

The first movies were largely embraced by the GA. Many hadn't even read the books. The fanbase itself could sustain, more or less, the numbers the last two pulled.

And well, I believe that the books (Maze Runner) are actually far more intresting as a piece of fiction compared to hunger games. They arr far from inferior.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

15 hours ago, grim22 said:

Sure, I’m not claiming that these franchises were the only reason why THG died, but they’re one of the main reasons for sure.

I still remember back in 2012, most of people saying that one of the main reasons why THG broke out, was because it had a fresh plot, and had this uniqueness. Back in 2015, the consensus was that the GP: “Couldn’t even see any difference between these franchises because they all looked like the same.”

MJ1/2 would still have dropped, but it wouldn’t be so hard if it wasn’t for these franchises spreading tiredness on the genre. 

This was a successful mini franchise in the Resident Evil vein but much much better in terms of quality. 

I hope they don't start doing prequels and shit though...end it here. Find something else and replicate the formula of making 25-35M first movie, then if success 55+M budget..so on and so forth.

I think the Percy Jackson movies under Wes Ball could have been more successful. Those same movies could have been delivered on a 50M budget easily under him.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

This was a successful mini franchise in the Resident Evil vein but much much better in terms of quality. 

I hope they don't start doing prequels and shit though...end it here. Find something else and replicate the formula of making 25-35M first movie, then if success 55+M budget..so on and so forth.

I think the Percy Jackson movies under Wes Ball could have been more successful. Those same movies could have been delivered on a 50M budget easily under him.

wouldn't be surprised if Ball and Wyck Godfrey (one of the producers who also produced the Twilight series and The Fault in Our Stars) team up again to adapt another series

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

The Resident Evil increased from one movie to another till the fifth movie, both domestically and WW. This franchise already showed fatigue in the second movie, and the third one may decrease even harder.

I also doubt it would last SIX movies like the RE franchise, since this movie is not even guarantee to generate profits at all. 

• Like 1

If they had made Mockingjay as a single, 2 hour-45 minute film, it could have been an absolutely devastating movie and cause the series to be regarded among the greats of science fiction. MJ1 hurt the series' legacy badly. 

I was never worried about MJ2 as a film, but I knew they had way too little to work from with the first half of the book...and boy, did the film suffer badly for it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The problem is that so many scenes from MJ1 could have been cut and nothing would have changed at all. 

Ironic that MJ1 has one of the most stunning scenes of the series...if not the best.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1