CJohn

Maze Runner: The Death Cure | Jan 26 2018 | Final Trailer on Page 18

I had forgotten about this film and didn't even know there were 2 Maze Runners. For some reason felt that first one was a bo disappointment but found out today that it was a huge hit.

MZ1

prod budget: 34m

domestic: 102.5m

ww: 348m

MZ2 (change from MZ1 in brackets)

prod budget: 61m (+79.4%)

domestic: 81.7m (-20.3%)

ww: 312.3m (-10.3%)

If the budget shows a big bump like MZ2's showed from MZ1, then MZ3 could have a tough time at the bo.

I think MZ3 could do 250+ ww (60 dom, 190 os) if not more. ~90 prod budget would make it worth it.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

I had forgotten about this film and didn't even know there were 2 Maze Runners. For some reason felt that first one was a bo disappointment but found out today that it was a huge hit.

MZ1

prod budget: 34m  Has to be one of the best looking films per dollar spent out there. 

If the budget shows a big bump like MZ2's showed from MZ1, then MZ3 could have a tough time at the bo.

I think MZ3 could do 250+ ww (60 dom, 190 os) if not more. ~90 prod budget would make it worth it.

So total budget of the two films: 95M

Total WW gross of two films: 660M

So that's an equivalent ratio of a 200M budget film making $1.3B WW, not bad at all really. (I know how flimsy this math is) 

Also by my calculations, for this franchise to end as a flop, this installment needs a budget of about $140M and to make a WW Box office of 17 dollars and 45 cents.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

MZ1

prod budget: 34m

What makes it worth it I think is not just this movie but it will also move sales for the first two when it comes out and having a whole trilogy is good for box set sales and tv airings. Also, while the delay might have pushed the budget up a bit (and lowered some of its box office chances)  I think the director and producer know how to keep it under control 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

What makes it worth it I think is not just this movie but it will also move sales for the first two when it comes out and having a whole trilogy is good for box set sales and tv airings.

Very true, this movie will help the auxiliary revenue of all franchise as it caps a trilogy.

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Also, while the delay might have pushed the budget up a bit (and lowered some of its box office chances)  I think the director and producer know how to keep it under control 

Yeah, if the budget has jumped 50%, from 61 to 92, then the global gross will make that look good. And non-theatrical revenue like you pointed out will be boosted for previous films too.

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of anger about this movie and I'm kind of puzzled.  It's a movie that's ending a trilogy that was supposed to come out last year; the studio and even the actors want it to be over  because of the accident.  They're not expecting anything great.  The budgets made this trilogy a success...not sure what's the problem for some people?

• Thanks 1