Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

You know what sucks about some predictions on here. If the movie is tracking at sat 40-50M, that AUTOMATICALLY means that it is going sub 40 (that is, if you have a pre-conceived notion that you will hate the film) and so now of course the movie is obviously going to have a x2 multiplier. 

Thats how how a weekend tracking at 40-50M equals a 80-90M Dom total.

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Well, Prometheus and Alien Covenat are just a tad more ambitious than

Cool dude-bro scientist makes potato fields with shit and comes back safe fom Mars with 70's funk tunes.

Which to me says a lot regarding where Ridley Scott is at as a filmmaker and storyteller.

While I get your point, I can't agree at all. Prometheus was miles more ambitious than this movie, despite it's flaws, Lindelof's screenplay tried to be something way bigger than another slasher like this one, Prometheus used only the essence of the franchise as base to tell something new and fresh, actually, the first two acts of Prometheus are nothing similar to previous Alien's movies, focusing a lot more in the sci-fi aspect, than in the construction of a Horror atmosphere, unlike we see here, that since the first frame is a cheap and inefficient copy of an old formula. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Real problem with Prometheus is that the plot became totally laughable in the last third of the film with so many WTF moments.

A character getting up and running around in movie action hero form just minutes having major surgery performed on her was incredibly silly;still amazed that Scott thought he could get away with that.

There are times in Covenant where someones been ripped to shreds in the worst way and everyone kind of continues as if someones just gone home early drunk lol. Like, theres never time for the characters or you as a viewer to really soak in what the fucks just happened.

Edited by Vogue
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Vogue said:

There are times in Covenant where someones been ripped to shreds in the worst way and everyone kind of continues as if someones just gone home early drunk lol. Like, theres never time for the characters or you as a viewer to really soak in what the fucks just happened.

This was exactly how I felt about Prometheus, and is one of the biggest things (along with the completely idiotic behavior of the characters) that took me out of movie. It felt like when shit started hitting the fan and the crew starts dropping like flies they're like "Oh, well whatever. This plot needs to keep moving, we better not distract the audience by giving performances that will suggest we're all being killed." Compare it to the original Alien where you totally believe the peril the crew is in.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

According to RT, after 80 reviews if it is steady at 75 or more:

Rotten Tomatoes awards the Certified Fresh™ accolade to films and TV programs that have a steady Tomatometer® of 75% or higher after a set amount of reviews (80 for films in wide release, 40 for films in limited release, 20 for TV shows), including 5 reviews from Top Critics. A film remains Certified Fresh unless its Tomatometer falls below 70%.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

For a movie to be certified fresh it should be 75% and above correct? Why did Alien: Covenant receive a certified fresh if it was at exactly 75% with many more reviews to come? Isn't that jumping the gun? 

For a wide release to get Certified Fresh it needs to be at 75% with 80 reviews. A:C got to 80 with 75%, so they Certified it. Once it's got that it's got it, even if the score dips below 75%.

LtBLMh1.png

Edited by aabattery
barnack is too fast

• Community Manager

Rewatched the first Alien movie. They really don't make science fiction films like that anymore. Many science fiction films focus on the special effects and/or the themes. But man, part of what I like about Alien is how it feels like these are people who work for a company and such. It makes the universe feel real rather than just an excuse to have an alien figure kill a bunch of people.

Plus the android twist and when Ash attacks Ripley? I think that scene is my favorite.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Real problem with Prometheus is that the plot became totally laughable in the last third of the film with so many WTF moments.

A character getting up and running around in movie action hero form just minutes having major surgery performed on her was incredibly silly;still amazed that Scott thought he could get away with that.

That wasnt really a problem but more a nitpick because you aren't smart enough to find something real to complain about. Its the future, they had medicine to help with the pain, that seemed obvious.

13 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think reviews and WOTM will be important for this film. No doubt "Prometheus" really disappointed a lot of people, and they are waiting to be assured this will return to the classic "Alien" style.

Again i dont think people care about Alien at all. Prometheus did well because it looked original and could clearly be taken as something different to Alien. Peolle didnt want more of the actual alien, they just wanted a better film made with what was shown. This will be proven when this new alien movie which has tried convincing viewers its going back to ita roots ends up bringing in far less interest than prometheus 5 years back.

Basically ridleys mistake was focusing too much on the actual alien in this one rather than sticking to his guns and continuing with a good prometheus story

Kong: Skull Island vs. Alien: Convenant on RT:

Average score: 6.5 - 6.4

Sounds about what I predicted after the first reviews! Happy it got certified fresh and super excited to revisit Alien and Aliens this week before seeing this. It's been a while since I've watched them or Prometheus. 

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Kong: Skull Island vs. Alien: Convenant on RT:

Average score: 6.5 - 6.4

Sounds about what I predicted after the first reviews! Happy it got certified fresh and super excited to revisit Alien and Aliens this week before seeing this. It's been a while since I've watched them or Prometheus. 

On Metacritic, A:C vs GotG2: 65 to 67.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

On Metacritic, A:C vs GotG2: 65 to 67.

We're already starting off better then last summer. Most expected King Arthur and Snatched to bomb with critics so those don't really count. If POTC and Wonder Woman also receive good reviews, we should be in a good place.

I don't get the harsh response to AC that some are posting here. AC is an efficient movie with some new clever ideas. It's not a copy of previous entries. And it delivers new knowledge to the alien species.

While more original/ambitious, Prometheus was disappointing with, at times, awful script, and weak or underused characters.

On 16/05/2017 at 8:41 AM, Water Bottle said:

Rewatched the first Alien movie. They really don't make science fiction films like that anymore. Many science fiction films focus on the special effects and/or the themes. But man, part of what I like about Alien is how it feels like these are people who work for a company and such. It makes the universe feel real rather than just an excuse to have an alien figure kill a bunch of people.

Yeah, it's often forgotten just how naturalistic the dialogue in Alien was for such a big movie. It's almost like watching a documentary at times — which of course makes it scarier when the shit hits the fan.

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, it's often forgotten just how naturalistic the dialogue in Alien was for such a big movie. It's almost like watching a documentary at times — which of course makes it scarier when the shit hits the fan.

The most effective moment in the entire movie for me when I rewatched it the other day was Veronica Cartwright shrieking "You BITCH!" at Weaver and just straight-up attacking her. I remembered all the scares but not that, and it's such an authentically ugly, recognizable human moment that you basically never see in big movies anymore.