grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

Why was the other Friday #s thread locked? It had real potential

What was that thread about? That user has opened 4 threads including the "Friday numbers" and the other 3 threads are just for singing the praises of Harrison Ford.

• Like 2

It's still amazing to me that Unbroken has become a 100 million dollar plus hit. That, along Maleficent's smashing success has made these past 12 months truly stellar for Jolie's overall clout in Hollywood. Now, if only she made that SALT sequel... :-( Seriously, I am dying to see where the plot was shaping up to go after the open end of the first one...but it seems like she's already moved on...

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

And of course Hobbit has one of the weakest jumps and holds in the top 10

I do hope you did only a very fast glance on the numbers before posting thazt, if it was a longer one, than I start to assume you try to twist numbers as a means to manipulate:

2 new wide releases = no comparison to last week possible= can not ger counted with your wording

So that makes the top 10 to top 8 who are even eglable to your wording

1 title with ~ doubled up theater numbers (Imitation Game)

2 titles with increased theater count (Into the Woods & Unbroken)

1 title with stable theater number (Woman in Black 2)

the other 4 titles all lost theaters

Hobbit 3 is still more in the middle ground of the top 10 than at the end fpr its 'last week' comparison, ot of the non-new/increased group it has even

You seem at least finally understand, that you did compare to the wrong numbers during the last week of trying to spread 'doom' for Hobbit 3. Never gave a reason why you single out that title so much). I still hadn't a chance to watch it (project's last day ist 25 January), so I have no idea if it included anything, that someonemight have found offensive or..., so = no idea why you seemingly try to lessen it's numbers via such strange interpretations..

About the weekend in general, didn't you have bad weather in the US this weekend too? Someone mentioned something like that. We have since a time at first black ice, than lots of snow, than a weather change to spring temperatures that was strong enough some people had puking-headaches and an Orkan and now snow again = recogniseable less people went to the cinemas (at least in my region)

What I think is also interesting are the average numbers for 'your' Hobbit 3 movie:

new releases, newly strongly expanded Oscar contenders or ~ similar special interest movies... one title playing in only 4 theaters ...

A few slightly increased theater counts...  Then Hobbit 3 on the highest place of all the others.

See, it is possible to manipulate with numbers, Hobbit on place one of all movies beside ....

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?view=1day&sortdate=2015-01-09&sort=theateravg&order=DESC&p=.htm

• Like 1

Was hoping for 20+ for "Selma" but the hold-overs and "Taken" seems to steal all the thunder.  I think with awards buzz it should still have some good legs. I've said in the beginning I felt "King" name should of been in the title just for marketing purporses alone.   Some people don't know if it's a King Bio-Pic or just an isolated story.  It seems they tried to do both but the focus was "Selma".  Speilberg still has the rights to King's overall story so I think a full Bio-Pic will be coming out in the future.   Wow @ "Broken", I didn't think it would get anywhere near the total it has.  "Taken 3" once against proves it's critic proof.  Audiences just enjoy Liam and the whole series. 

• Like 1

Who's going to acknowledge the fact that, over the course of three weeks, American Sniper will have made at least $800,000 on average at 4 theaters? That's fucking insane.

American Sniper is going to American Slayage when it goes wide. Will finish over Unbroken for sure.

I was expecting a really weak year for Warners, considering the complete lack of franchises but it just looks better and better. American Sniper is looking to do around 150M, San Andreas will be a big hit WW, same with In the Heart of the Sea, Mad Max and Magic Mike 2, Get Hard will be huge in the US. If they manage to make The Man From U.N.C.L.E. work they are in for some solid earnings.