grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

Really just horrible for Selma. I LOL'd that BO.com predicted 20m+ OW but now it's looking like even 10 will be a struggle.

Hey, at least it's double Unbroken on RT and audience reviews are far more glowing! 

• Like 7

I think that the GA is not interested in the subject matter. It comes off as a lecture, and a somewhat repetitive one. And Selma is not a biography about MLK but about a single event. A sweeping biographical film about MLK would have been interesting. The Butler did well. 12YAS did as well as expected. 

Unbroken is based on a very popular book and the story has a universal appeal. 

I think Unbroken and American Sniper are no more compelling than the Voting Rights Act being passed in 1965.  There are a zillion war movies about White males exactly like American Sniper or Unbroken, going back 50 years.  Invictus is also way more compelling to me than another movie like Unbroken, but Invictus only made about 45 domestic, even with 2 known stars.  But then again, I'm an elitist snob so don't listen to me.

• Like 1

Yeah at least it will always have Rotten Tomatoes, and the SAG... Err... And the BAFTA... Uh... The PGA? Oh wait no it's ok, it's got the Golden Globe nod. Phew.

The Tourist being nominated over Unbroken...LOL

Solid for Taken 3(since it's the third movie of the series and 2nd film's poor WOM), and blah for Selma I was hoping for 15 million or so opening weekend but it only has a low budget and legs will be good in the next few weeks and end it's run with at least 60 million

• Like 1

I think Unbroken and American Sniper are no more compelling than the Voting Rights Act being passed in 1965.  There are a zillion war movies about White males exactly like American Sniper or Unbroken, going back 50 years.  Invictus is also way more compelling to me than another movie like Unbroken, but Invictus only made about 45 domestic, even with 2 known stars.  But then again, I'm an elitist snob so don't listen to me.

That's kind of racist that your main reasoning for finding a film compelling is the race of the characters.

Maybe just go look for a film with a compelling story, regardless of ethnicity?  :unsure:

Unbroken, American Sniper and Selma all look compelling for different reasons. No reason to tear down the first two efforts just because they star "white males". Selma is not a film that's going to have a $25 million+ OW, especially with 2,175 theaters. Most Oscar contenders consistently make $8-10 million for 5-7 weekends. I expect something similar with Selma. 

$15-18 million OW would have been solid for this, since it seems destined for a 6x-11x multi. Especially with an A+ CinemaScore and a certain, particularly relevant holiday coming up. It could very well almost double its OD for Jan 19. 

$12 million OW could still get it to $72-132 million (low end and high end IMO). I don't see Selma slowing down for a while. The doomsday scenarios for Selma and 2015 in general are pretty amusing though. 

• Like 1