grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

Welp, those are some poor numbers

1). Taken 3 (Fox), 3,594 theaters /$14.7M Fri. / 3-Day: $38.6M /Total cume: $38.6M/ Wk 1
*includes $1.6M Thursday sneak previews

2.) Selma (Par), 2,179 theaters (+2,157) / $3.8M Fri. (1,595%)/ 3-Day: $11.75M(+1,758%)/Total cume: $14M / Wk 3

3). Unbroken (UNI), 3,301 theaters (+111) / $2.495M Fri. (-66%)/ 3-Day: $8.23M(-55%)/Total cume: $101.6M / Wk 3

4). The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies (WB), 3,402 theaters (-473)/$2.38M (-71%)Fri./ 3-Day: $8.61M (-60%) /Total cume: $235.7M/ Wk 4

5). Into The Woods (DIS), 2,833 theaters (+295) / $2.36M Fri. (-68%)/ 3-Day:$8.68M (-54%)/Total cume:$103.8M / Wk 3

6.) The Imitation Game (TWC), 1,566 theaters (+812) / $2.025M Fri.(-31%) / 3-Day: $7.04M (-9%)/Total cume: $40.3M / Wk 7

7.) The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death (Relativity), 2,602 theaters  / $1.782M Fri.  (-77%)/ 3-Day:$5.4M (-64%)/ Total cume: $22.9M / Wk 2

8). Night At The Museum: Secret Of The Tomb (FOX), 3,371 theaters (-431) / $1.59M Fri. (-73%) / 3-Day: $7.33M(-49%)/Total cume: $100.2 / Wk 4

9). Annie (Sony), 2,856 theaters (-310) / $1.02M Fri. (-78%)/ 3-Day: $4.34M (-61%)/ Total cume: $78.8M / Wk 4

10). The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (LGF),2,063 theaters (-442) / $1M Fri. (-66%)/ 3-Day:$3.78M (-50%)/Total cume: $329.6M/ Wk 8

• Like 1

If T3 follows T2 it would do about 15 today and about 9.5 on sunday. If it follows that pattern Sunday estimates will put it at 40 and actuals will be about 39.5.

• Like 1

If Hobbit drops 60% like Deadline is reporting for it's early weekend estimates, that is not good at all. Doubt it will pass DoS if it follows that route.

BotFA has the same numbers as AUJ on the same Friday, though AUJ had a week of extra release.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

Selma number is bad.  An OW of only 12 million?  It will finish somewhere in the 60s, with probably 10 million overseas.  White people in America show up in large numbers to see Unbroken, Lincoln, American Sniper, or a hundred other stories revolving around White heroes. They will go see The Help when 60% of the story is about a White person.  They will go see The Butler when the commercials advertise the White presidents as half of the film.  But a movie where 90% of the speaking parts are Black people?  Ehhh...good luck.

• Like 1

Selma number is bad.  An OW of only 12 million?  It will finish somewhere in the 60s, with probably 10 million overseas.  White people in America show up in large numbers to see Unbroken, Lincoln, American Sniper, or a hundred other stories revolving around White heroes. They will go see The Help when 60% of the story is about a White person.  They will go see The Butler when the commercials advertise the White presidents as half of the film.  But a movie where 90% of the speaking parts are Black people?  Ehhh...good luck.

Usually I have a problem with you analysis of the public and although I disagree vehemently with what you are saying here, I know what you are trying to say but I think you are wrong.  The problem (always easy to say once the numbers come out but in this case I think I'm right) is that the marketing for this was weak and the cast for it was wrong.  The poster has the back of a black man's head with the word SELMA across it.  WTF is that?  Not everyone knows what Selma means.  And where is the cast being promoted?  Thew trailer has some cool Public Enemy sounding stuff in it but there is no mention of the cast.  I don't care who you have in it, even if the studio thinks they are C listers, you have to at least tell us that Tom Wilkinson, Giovanni Ribbisi, Oscar winner Cuba Good Jr and so on.  The trailer is very ambiguous in many ways and imo, this is one of the reasons it limited it's audience.

• Like 6

If you want to compare Selma to the Butler, almost every shot in the trailer showed a recognizable face.  Opraj, Forrest, Cusack, William, Fonda, Rickman and on and on.  Gooding Jr and Winfrey were shown maybe once in the Selma trailer.

• Like 1

Big drops next weekend, too?

Several new releases taking screens and maybe some Oscar fare getting more space.

I would like to see Boyhood get some more cash.

Boyhood has been out now for months. You can pick up a burned copy from anywhere.  Boyhood's run is done.

• Like 1

I follow some obscure things. Boyhood is on the edge of the domestic top 100. It will get passed by Selma and American Sniper.

Don't indie-type Oscar nominees get late boosts? I was thinking of The Artist or stuff like that.

But what kind of boost?  It's making $40K a weekend now.  It's been out since July.  It's not going to expand to 400 theaters or something.  

You could say the same for black people though. A very highly regarded film about one of the most important black leaders in recent history and it's going to make less than a mid-tier Madea movie.

• Like 1