grim22

Weekend #s: Neeson 40.4M, Selma 11.2, ITW 9.75, Hobbit 9.4, Unbroken 8.3. All #s pg 15. Happy now Kayu?

If it only opens at 15 this weekend, it isn't going to finish at 100 domestic. Even with the Oscar nominations coming Thursday and the strong hold next weekend. If it opens at only 15 it will top out at 75.

Considered its locked for an increase over the 3 day next week (MLK day and more theaters and Oscar buzz), how is $75 million the maximum amount it can earn?

Considered its locked for an increase over the 3 day next week (MLK day and more theaters and Oscar buzz), how is $75 million the maximum amount it can earn?

considering it has missed nominations for all major guilds you never know what kind of nominations its gonna do with academy. I am not convinced about another major expansion either considering how mediocre its PTA will be this week. I am not convinced its gonna increase next week. Not impossible but not probable either.

• Like 1

January cold weather and snow this month.  Not guaranteed that it will increase next weekend.  Wedding Ringer with Kevin Hart comes out soon and steals a little of the audience.  American Sniper steals a little of the historical drama/biographical audience.

I see nothing overly wrong with the Selma number? As sensational as the reviews are, the buzz felt pretty muted (most likely due to the lack of awards attention so far) and there are no box office draws in the cast. Word-of-mouth should pretty great so hush, naysayers.

• Like 6

I see nothing overly wrong with the Selma number? As sensational as the reviews are, the buzz felt pretty muted (most likely due to the lack of awards attention so far) and there are no box office draws in the cast. Word-of-mouth should pretty great so hush, naysayers.

I actually agree with most of this.

It's going to fail to outgross the first two though, so each Taken film has made less than the next. I hope to god they don't make a fourth.

Well Taken 2 made 6 million less then one domestically. But made 150 million more worldwide. Taken 3 will make 90-100 domestically still and likely make more then the first Taken's 226 million worldwide total. The fact that these movies are so cheap to produce, makes it hard for them not to do more sequels. Taken 2 cost  45 million with Neeson getting 15 million of that and it made 376 million worldwide. While Taken 3 cost 48 million with Neeson getting 20 million of that and it will likely make 250-300 million worldwide. So if they come up with a half way decent idea, pay Neeson 25 million and keep the budget slightly over 50 million. Well there will likely be a Taken 4 at some point.

Edited by gb0708