LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

Cooper needs to get himself in a proper blockbuster tentpole type movie now. His draw power is officially huge, and that's mainly from doing the type of films that aren't usually big hits. Imagine if he was in the type that usually are.

I am not even sure most people recognized Cooper in those TV spots.

• Like 2

2014 = such a shit year at the box office that its #1 movie wasn't actually a 2014 movie.

It's great that it is an 2014 movie, because it will kill katniss and the HG. On the other hand I would have loved to see a 400M movie for 2015 before AoU came out.

• Like 2

I have to agree that LS was a better movie, but they are both good films, either could have had this type of run ad I would be pleased. At least it's not Taken 3 making this type of money...

Oh and I'm going a but more conservative, and guessing at about 67M this weekend, and 390DOM total.

I mean it's better than Transformers 10 or The Amazing-er Spider-Man having this kind of box office run for sure, but of all the dramas/biopics/war movies/R films to do this well, it's AS? Really? AS?!? It's just such an anti-climactic choice out of all these kinds of movies to finally have blockbuster success.

• Like 1

Ok, I tried to ignore the crazy talk in the last couple of days, but IF it makes 70M+ this weekend would 400M become a posibility?

$400 million is locked. With $70M+ 2nd weekend, $500 million+ DOM is legtimately in the cards lol. 

It'll get a 30-35% drop next week (event status will minimize SB impact I think), then spend all of February and the first weekend of March getting +5% to -25% drops.

March 13 has a Liam Nesson thriller which will probably mean WB takes some of Sniper's screens away. 

If it can survive Nesson, I think it'll hold well until April 10th... which is just insane. 

I mean it's better than Transformers 10 or The Amazing-er Spider-Man having this kind of box office run for sure, but of all the dramas/biopics/war movies/R films to do this well, it's AS? Really? AS?!? It's just such an anti-climactic choice out of all these kinds of movies to finally have blockbuster success.

Why?

• Like 2

Sniper will end up as 1 of the top 5 highest grossing war movies ever at the U.S. box office, after adjusting for ticket prices.  It is not going to catch up with MASH, Saving Private Ryan, or Bridge on The River Kwai, but it is still massive.  Will definitely get to 325.  Average ticket price today is about $9....I think it was about $4.50 back during the 80s.

• Like 1

$400 million is locked. With $70M+ 2nd weekend, $500 million+ DOM is legtimately in the cards lol. 

It'll get a 30-35% drop next week (event status will minimize SB impact I think), then spend all of February and the first weekend of March getting +5% to -25% drops.

March 13 has a Liam Nesson thriller which will probably mean WB takes some of Sniper's screens away. 

If it can survive Nesson, I think it'll hold well until April 10th... which is just insane. 

AS will lose IMAX in the first weekend of February. IMAX contributed roughly 10% of its gross last weekend.

Sniper will end up as 1 of the top 5 highest grossing war movies ever at the U.S. box office, after adjusting for ticket prices.  It is not going to catch up with MASH, Saving Private Ryan, or Bridge on The River Kwai, but it is still massive.  Will definitely get to 325.  Average ticket price today is about $9....I think it was about $4.50 back during the 80s.

You can't just dollar adjust. What is the infation level of the dollar?

• Like 1

Sniper will end up as 1 of the top 5 highest grossing war movies ever at the U.S. box office, after adjusting for ticket prices. It is not going to catch up with MASH, Saving Private Ryan, or Bridge on The River Kwai, but it is still massive. Will definitely get to 325. Average ticket price today is about $9....I think it was about $4.50 back during the 80s.

325m? It's headed for a +400m DOM now

• Like 2

THR is trying to explain the success of Sniper using the most cliched reason ever

It may be cliched, but that is the sole reason we're seeing these insane numbers. Top theatre engagements came from 9 different states! If you get Middle America and both Coasts you're in for a gigantic film run aka Blindside, which everyone thought would do in the 100mish range. Sound familiar?

• Like 3

It may be cliched, but that is the sole reason we're seeing these insane numbers. Top theatre engagements came from 9 different states! If you get Middle America and both Coasts you're in for a gigantic film run aka Blindside, which everyone thought would do in the 100mish range. Sound familiar?

The big difference being TBS didn't open to massive blockbuster numbers. That's what makes AS so unique and overall confounding.

• Like 1