Neo

The Official 1B WW Thread

Added more movies in the poll

I get your poll, but why do you put interstellar, big hero 6 and mocking jay in it? We can 100% say that Interstellar won't make it, Big hero 6 needs almost 800 M to get there, so also not gona happen. Then we got mockingjay, because of the DOM dip it needs atleast 650M OS witch is very unlikely, if not to say imposible.

I think Fast 6 was kinda of the ceiling for the franchise. Don 't think Paul's unfortunate demise will boost the ww total that much.

His death alone won't make much of a difference, but because of it, I think Universal wants to push the marketing for this like crazy. So it could make a big difference indirectly.

Edited by acetabulum7

Interstellar 750

Big Hero 6 700

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 800

Exodus Gods and kings 700

Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 1050

Night At The museum: Secret of the tomb 600

Avengers age of ultron 1400

Bond 24 (Spectre) 1100

Star Wars 7 1200

Hunger Games Mockinjay 2 900

Jurassic Park 4 1100

Minions 1000

Cinderella + Frozen Fever 1000

Edited by edroger

LOCK:

Hobbit: Battle of five armies - 1.090B

Avengers: Age of ultron - 1.730B

Star Wars episode 7 - 1.265B

Near lock:

Jurassic World - 1.010B

Bond 24 - 1.005B

I don't think so:

Furious 7 - 975M

Minions - 990M

Hunger games: Mockingjay part 2 - 980M

Edited by Asyulus

I've been picking at something regarding billion dollar films, looking at how they breakdown over their top ten respective markets.

It's a bit messy, but here's a spreadsheet for your enjoyment.

I may need to break it apart and rebuild it. I'd like an easy way to export it for chart purposes, but it doesn't seem possible in the current format, alas.

All data taken from BOM's charts, so there's the grains of salt that apply there. For anything with a re-release, I attempted to add up all releases in a given market to achieve a final number. In very few cases did this adjust the ordering of the top ten markets for a film. (Possibly Titanic? It's been a couple months since I compiled this, so I can't remember, specifically.)

I stopped at the billion dollar mark mostly because the 20th biggest film WW is The Lion King, and BOM doesn't have market breakdowns for it. I may end up adding more films where I can get a breakdown, but it'll probably wait until there's another bona fide billion dollar film before I update the list.

As for future films:

Hobbit 3 might do it. I'm not entirely sold, though. It'll probably depend on China.

Avengers 2 will do it. In fact, it probably stands a good chance to beat 1b OS alone.

SW 8 also does it, but the OS is a question mark, so I don't know how much beyond 1b it gets. Nothing else in 2015 really jumps out as likely.

And I'm not sold on anything in 2016, either, though there are several that could flirt with the mark (BvS, Cap3, Finding Dory, Moana. Though there are a lot of interesting questions about animated films once you start to look at the breakdown. They tend to require at least one non-DOM market to overperform relative to the others. And by that I mean Japan.)

• Like 1