kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Disney has made the best film every year they released a film (except for when Cars released)? Lmao. So why didn't they make the best film this year considering that they have done it almost every year they released a film. 

This isn't ad hominem lol and yes, I have seen the film. It is a 9/10.

Your comment makes no sense. Because this year someone else made a better film. It's not rocket science. Pixar is not the same it's once was. 

7 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Your comment makes no sense. Because this year someone else made a better film. It's not rocket science. Pixar is not the same it's once was. 

Answer my question. I answered yours. Do you really think Disney (not Pixar) made the best movie every year they released a movie since 2002? You really think Brave, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zooptopia were the best films of their respective years? 

EDIT: Lmao, you are the one engaging in ad hominem now. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney has made the best film every year they released a film (except for when Cars released)? Lmao. So why didn't they make the best film this year considering that they have done it almost every year they released a film. 

Doubt you've seen it.  But as that is not proveable either way I'll leave it at that.  What gets me is people like you making emphatic takes and then just slinking away when wrong.  It's easy to antagonize that way...and quite common.  

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

apparently GA from paid previews are blown away.

i think it's gonna have amazing word of mouth, i can't imagine people having much issue with it when they actually see it. getting people into the cinema is gonna be the tricky part, some people just see the style and they're like "absolutely not" is the thing. the preview at the end of venom got a pretty bad reaction when i saw that. I was even trepidatious about the style in the trailers but idk, it's really cool once you get into it and let the whole thing play out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Answer my question. I answered yours. Do you really think Disney (not Pixar) made the best movie every year they released a movie since 2002? You really think Brave, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zooptopia were the best films of their respective years? 

EDIT: Lmao, you are the one engaging in ad hominem now. 

What was the ad hominem in my comment? And I don't need to amswer your question 'cos I typed that whole sentence in my previous comment. You are just going round and round, come to the main point.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think it's gonna have amazing word of mouth, i can't imagine people having much issue with it when they actually see it. getting people into the cinema is gonna be the tricky part, some people just see the style and they're like "absolutely not" is the thing. the preview at the end of venom got a pretty bad reaction when i saw that. I was even trepidatious about the style in the trailers but idk, it's really cool once you get into it and let the whole thing play out.

It costs only 90M so it can afford to go for legs/WOM rather than breakout OW thought that should far exceed the laughable 35M projection that Deadline is still throwing around. :rofl:

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, Premium George said:

What was the ad hominem in my comment? And I don't need to amswer your question 'cos I typed that whole sentence in my previous comment. You are just going round and round, come to the main point.

Just you saying that there is something wrong with people who have "lord" in their username.

Also, I guess you just accepted that Brave was the best-animated film of 2012, and Big Hero 6 was the best-animated film of 2014. Or you are just saying that to make your point (and I believe the latter because they aren't close to the highest rated films of their respective years).

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I’m glad you mentioned this cause this is how I’ve been feeling ever since I saw venom and saw the other preview before WIR last week. I hope I can enjoy it as much as everyone else cause it sounds very good. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

If we are going to use reviews as a metric for best film of each year:

Zootopia wasn't the best animated film of 2016. In fact, it was the lowest rated of the academy award nominees that year.

Big Hero 6 wasn't the best animated film of 2014. Again, lowest rated of the nominees barring Boxtrolls. The Lego Movie wasn't even nominated that year.

Frozen wasn't best animated film of 2013. Ernest and Celestine and The Wind Rises were rated higher.

Brave was the lowest rated of the animated film nominees that year.

That good enough for you to show the Academy's bullshit bias towards Disney films? You are just being naive at this stage. Animated film is a joke for the Academy and is used to market disney films. I mean, guess what channel runs the Oscar every year? ABC. Guess who owns it? Disney. They are the reason there was going to be a Popular Movie award this year. So that more Disney films can get awards. I hope Spider-verse gets the award but I am not naive and know that the Oscars are bullshit.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just you saying that there is something wrong with people who have "lord" in their username.

Also, I guess you just accepted that Brave was the best-animated film of 2012, and Big Hero 6 was the best-animated film of 2014. Or you are just saying that to make your point (and I believe the latter because they aren't close to the highest rated films of their respective years).

That was a reference to my long relationship with lordmandeep on this forum. We get in arguments a lot.

Brave, yes. BH was 2nd. 

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Brave was the best animation of 2012 😉

Saw it this afternoon (UK-Based previews)

Lots and lots of people will absolutely love it and it will make money, but perhaps not the 'breakout' money the biggest fans will say it deserves. The speed and tone of the visuals will put off some of the older crowd (it was bordering on too busy/noisy for me and I'm 36) and indeed some niche others who are visually oversensitive (it feels like you're watching a 3-d movie in 2-d at times) will struggle with it.

Basically it will mop up some casual audience but not loads while getting all the major superhero loving demos, I'd say maybe 110-130 US Domestic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If we are going to use reviews as a metric for best film of each year:

Zootopia wasn't the best animated film of 2016. In fact, it was the lowest rated of the academy award nominees that year.

Big Hero 6 wasn't the best animated film of 2014. Again, lowest rated of the nominees barring Boxtrolls. The Lego Movie wasn't even nominated that year.

Frozen wasn't best animated film of 2013. Ernest and Celestine and The Wind Rises were rated higher.

Brave was the lowest rated of the animated film nominees that year.

That good enough for you to show the Academy's bullshit bias towards Disney films? You are just being naive at this stage. Animated film is a joke for the Academy and is used to market disney films. I mean, guess what channel runs the Oscar every year? ABC. Guess who owns it? Disney. They are the reason there was going to be a Popular Movie award this year. So that more Disney films can get awards. I hope Spider-verse gets the award but I am not naive and know that the Oscars are bullshit.

It's true that oscar have bias, but critical reception doesn't decide the winner. Afterall shape of water won the award last year.

41 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

All I know is that many people considered The LEGO Movie to have been the best animated film of 2014.

Edited by WittyUsername

While this thread is extremely active, I want to put out a prediction at this time.

My prediction pertains to Sony Pictures Animation, specifically but not limited to the in-house animation division, Sony Pictures Imageworks.

I think this film is the start of a major breakthrough for the company in terms of animation. They've definitely shown how willing they are to take risks, and one glance at SPA's incoming releases.

I'll start with the films coming soon from Imageworks. Wish Dragon, a collaboration between Hollywood and Chinese animators (correct me if I'm wrong), will come out next year, and I think it could very well be brilliant. Then there's Lord & Miller's next animated film, The Mitchells vs. The Machines, coming in January 2020; I'm absolutely sure Lord & Miller will be carrying over the new animation style from this Spider-Man film to this original property; I mean, why wouldn't they? The film is about a Transformers-esque uprising of household technology. And after that, there's the 2020 musical Vivo. This is their first musical, let alone original musical (correct me if I'm wrong). And that's gotta be at least a little unique with a title like Vivo.

But the other thing I want to bring to the table is the announced development of the next two Genndy Tartakovsky projects--both of which are animated features. There's Fixed, an R-rated comedy a-la Sausage Party (!!), and then there's Black Knight, which is a 'fantasy adventure' film. Both of which sound like they have quite a bit of potential.

And don't get me started on the potential for licensed-property films. I think they've already been trying to get an animated film for Ghostbusters and more Spider-Verse films off the ground.

So let's look back on the company's history. There first film was Open Season back in 2006. But that's not what they're known for, that's not what defines the studio. Their most beloved works are the mockumentary Surf's UpCloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and the perfectly enjoyable trilogy of Hotel Transylvania films. All of these films display a passion for the art form even if other films are commonly deemed superior.

But do I think, after Spider-Verse (which I haven't seen yet), that Sony Pictures Animation is capable of pulling a bait-and-switch, becoming a risk-taking studio, and releasing those superior-quality films? Absolutely, and not only that, but I think Sony might be on to something in terms of grasping a niche in the realm of animation. Their most acclaimed works--Surf's Up, the first Cloudy, and this Spider-Verse film? They all have a bit of an edge to it. Mitchells vs. Machines sounds like it'll have an edge to it. Fixed will definitely have that edge, as it's rated R, and Black Knight also sounds like something that'd have that edge.

It's like when Mario was designed to be fun, and Sega observed that, and after many years, broke into the fold in a major way by introducing Sonic, who was designed to be cool. And that disparity between fun and cool caused Sonic to be capable of rivaling Mario as a video game mascot for many, many years--and he still does to an extent.

I just felt like sharing this rant with everyone. All in all, because of Spider-Verse, I'm very excited for the future of Sony Pictures Animation, and I'm very excited to see the risks they'll take next.

• Like 3