CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Entourage - 5.6M (Includes 2M Previews) SA 3.8, MMFR 1.4, PP2/TL 1.3 (rth)

Remember how much Shyamalan's crap Avatar adaptation made? GoT with Benioff and Weiss at the helm and a bigger budget would at least give the Hobbit films a run for their WW movie.

Yeeaaah a Game of Thrones movie ain't making a billion...

Remember how much Shyamalan's crap Avatar adaptation made? GoT with Benioff and Weiss at the helm and a bigger budget would at least give the Hobbit films a run for their WW movie.

If any episode director from the GoT show should direct a GoT movie it should be Neil Marshall.

• Like 2

Very true.  I have a buddy who's a venture capitalist.  One of the companies his firm invested in does automated journalism-type stuff (not sure if its the same one, I didn't read the whole article).  Their big score was with Yahoo, in that if you do one of their fantasy sports leagues, you can pay extra and they'll generate fake news reports about all the games during the week for the fantasy league.  And in fact you can tweak it a bit with your preferances, making the news reports more or less funny, or sarcastic, or irreverent or whatever. They're the ones providing it, and its actually pretty cool.

Edited by Wrath

I think Entourage is a bit surprising.  No one, or not many have it in the top 12 for the summer game.  But it will make about 28-35 for the 5 day day and that could lead to a 80-90 finish.  That won't make top 12 but its probably more than a lot of us thought.

• Like 1

Wouldn't a GOT movie have to be rated R? That would limit its potential grosses.

No. Matrix Reloaded made 742m WW and Passion Of Christ made 611m WW and those where rated R.

Any appealing movie can break BO records regardless of the ratings.

Edited by Boxx93

I think Entourage is a bit surprising.  No one, or not many have it in the top 12 for the summer game.  But it will make about 28-35 for the 5 day day and that could lead to a 80-90 finish.  That won't make top 12 but its probably more than a lot of us thought.

28-35m, coming from a 3,5m wednesday? Yeah, pretty much not.

I don't really get why they made an Entourage movie to be honest, or didn't send it to HBO instead of theaters. Even at the peak of its popularity, the show was never even close to as big or engrained in pop culture as Sex and the City, and the general consensus is that the show went really downhill in its final seasons (I, for one, watched the show for five seasons and then abandoned it completely). Not to mention Sex and the City had some starpower in the form of SJP, who enjoyed a couple of solid performers during those intervening years. Whatever was holding the Entourage movie back, it sure wasn't trying to make sure everyone's schedules were cleared.

That said, a projected $45M total isn't terrible given its incredibly niche nature and probably relatively miniscule budget.

• Like 1

Do you honestly think this would finish at 80-90m? 

I think it's frontloaded as hell. The multiplier is going to be super weak IMHO.

Do you honestly think this would finish at 80-90m? 

I think it's frontloaded as hell. The multiplier is going to be super weak IMHO.

Eh, I dunno.  As bad as Entourage is supposed to be, it cannot possibly be as bad as Sex and the City 2 and that still managed a ~3x mult. Its legs could well be weak, but I don't think we can just assume that.

Edit - If Entourage does 18m over the 3 day, it'll probably end up at least at 55m and possibly 60m. Which, in defense of Baumer's point, is probably still stronger than most folks expected.  I'm pretty sure it got more votes for "Lowest 5" than "Top 12" in the BSG.

Edited by Wrath

Eh, I dunno.  As bad as Entourage is supposed to be, it cannot possibly be as bad as Sex and the City 2 and that still managed a ~3x mult.

That opened on a Thursday, where it made $14M. Its total was $95M, so its legs were really quite pitiful.