kayumanggi

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS | 10 NOV 2017 | Fox

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

This isn't Christie it's a damn circus. If David Suchet's Poirot ever met this guy he'd never sanction his buffoonery. In fact he'd probably turn him into dust with just one withering stare.

Cruz, Colman and Pfeiffer do pretty good with what they're given, although the latter gets points taken off for that terrible end credits song. And it's shocking how tolerable, even engaging Josh Gad can be when he's serious and not mugging. Patrick Doyle is here to prove that you can still write an actual score for a movie. But it's all rushed and shouty and overedited with a heaping of really obvious compositing and some woeful CGI. 

:sarah:

55 mill budget according to BOM. 

If that is close to the truth this could make some money..

200 mill WW could happen with China adding a decent amount. We will know more tomorrow but presales are better than i expected

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fmpro said:

55 mill budget according to BOM. 

If that is close to the truth this could make some money..

200 mill WW could happen with China adding a decent amount. We will know more tomorrow but presales are better than i expected

That's a very reasonable budget for the movie. I don't think even conservative dom projection is below 70m dom right now. 3x the prod budget globally seems very safe right now. And could do around 4x on the higher side.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

That's a very reasonable budget for the movie. I don't think even conservative dom projection is below 70m right now. 3x the prod budget globally seems very safe right now. And could do around 4x on the higher side.

I had this around 100(wich i also guess is the real budget before tax)..

• Like 1

Quite good, terrific performances, especially by Branagh and Ridley.  Too much going on and hard to keep track of everything but a good mystery and a very satisfying final 20 minutes.

• Like 8

Some interesting random trivia about the cast collaborations:

Depp and Dafoe worked on Platoon together

Depp and Cruz worked together twice before this in Blow and On Stranger Tides

Depp and Dench also worked on a Pirates film, OST

Depp and Pfeiffer worked on Dark Shadows together

There might be other connections but these are the ones listed on imdb.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Christmas baumer said:

Quite good, terrific performances, especially by Branagh and Ridley.  Too much going on and hard to keep track of everything but a good mystery and a very satisfying final 20 minutes.

How was the Cinematography?

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

How was the Cinematography?

Everything looked great.  The shots of the train going through the mountains was quite breathtaking at times.

I don't agree that the CGI looked bad at all.  In fact, whatever CGI was there seemed to work for me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The avalanche stopping the train looked like some early 2000s shit. 

See, I didn't notice and I don't think anyone else really did.  I think if you go into a film looking for those kinds of flaws then you aren't really invested in the film.  I was invested in the film at that point so I didn't pay attention to how realistic an avalanche looked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomJC said:

As someone who has never seen real snow, I'd have never know what a realistic avalanche looks like, so won't bother me.

As someone who has never seen a real avalanche, it won't bother me either.  Getting worked up over stuff like whether or not every shot looks 100% realistic is silly imo.  I don't go to the movies to have everything look 100% real.  I go to be entertained.  I guess some people complained about how the shark looked in JAWS in 1975 so I guess there are just some people that will complain about that stuff.