kayumanggi

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS | 10 NOV 2017 | Fox

Just seen this. It does bring some brand new twists to the original story, but obviously if you know the solution the mystery isn't really there.

It was a very solid adaptation though (including a sneaky sequel bait line), though I think my Poirot will always be David Suchet.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Yeah this is getting mixed reviews. A bit disappointment, but hopefully I enjoy it nonetheless. 

I'm looking forward to it because of the cast, I've not seen the Albert Finney Murder on the Orient Express, only the David Suchet version which was very good. 

I imagine if this does well, they'll do Death on the Nile next.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm looking forward to it because of the cast, I've not seen the Albert Finney Murder on the Orient Express, only the David Suchet version which was very good. 

I imagine if this does well, they'll do Death on the Nile next.

I've seen the 1974 version. It's very good. Personally I'd like to see them adapt Dead Man's Folly next, but any adaptation will do, if the film is successful enough to warrant a follow-up.

9 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I've seen the 1974 version. It's very good. Personally I'd like to see them adapt Dead Man's Folly next, but any adaptation will do, if the film is successful enough to warrant a follow-up.

I think Nile is the most logical because it's set in a foreign location much like Murder. 

I've read some of the reviews;

Consensus seems to be it is pretty good,but the 1974 film and the David Suchet TV miniseries were better .

Everybody loved Michelle Pffeifer,though. She seems a shoo in for a Supporting Actress nom,and probably the favorite to win.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

Once again, I predicted the outcome a few weeks ago. Mixed reviews and a big boxoffice disappointment. Sigh. 

Fox is not having a good year as far as tent poles go barring Wolverine. 

It's also fighting the memories of two previous (one  a movie and the other A TV) well received versions of the Christie novel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I've read some of the reviews;

Consensus seems to be it is pretty good,but the 1974 film and the David Suchet TV miniseries were better .

Everybody loved Michelle Pffeifer,though. She seems a shoo in for a Supporting Actress nom,and probably the favorite to win.

1. Wrong movie

2. If only

tumblr_oudftmQdpM1qgfbkmo3_500.gif10-janney.w710.h473.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I say stop re-adapting Christie and start re-adapting Sayers, Tey and Collins. :rock:

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I want all the Lord Peter Wimsey, though my favorite is The Nine Tailors.

"The Nine Tailors" is the best thing Sayers ever wrote.

I am a huge Peter Wimsey fan.

I would also like "The Unpleasetness at the Bellona Club" filmed, both because it is one of Sayers best mysteries, and because on of it's main themes..veterans from a  war having a hard time adjusting,is revelent again.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Nile is the most logical because it's set in a foreign location much like Murder. 

Nile would be a great choice to do another adaptation of too. It's such a "neat story", and it could look gorgeous with the right cinematographer. 

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I say stop re-adapting Christie and start re-adapting Sayers, Tey and Collins. :rock:

A Lord Peter Wimsey movie could be pretty good.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

When we were kids, we used to mock the Masterpiece Theater version by calling him "Peter Wimp-sey".

Masterpiece seems to co-produce most of the big British period dramas like Poldark, Downton Abbey and Victoria as well as things like Sherlock and Endeavour. Did they ever show the David Suchet Poirot?