kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

One of these years when yall do the "best reviewed video game movie!" bit it'll actually have, yknow, good reviews

gonna take a couple decades of inching up, but we'll get there, I know it. I believe

BareThinIvorybilledwoodpecker-max-1mb.gi

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

5 hours ago, TombRaider said:

so... EVERYONE is gonna bring up tomb raider every time I speak??

Yes because you go on and on about flops because of domestic numbers while ignoring that Tomb Raider is a huge domestic flop. It's numbers are awful. You're like a Pacific Rim fan in 2013. Desperately clinging to okay for the budget international numbers as if they are Transformers level.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • ...wtf 1

41 minutes ago, Cookson said:

This might just squeeze out a sequel.

The problem is that Johnson is booked like crazy the next few years so who knows if he'll be able to squeeze one in anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

It has a shot at $400M. How is that a flop? 

How's it getting to 400m? Anything over a 2.5x multi for its OS OW seems very unlikely for this kind of film, and 90m is about the ceiling DOM given IW in a couple weeks. 350m or so WW seems likely. That would put it in almost the exact same position as Tomb Raider in both its DOM and WW ratio to its budget. Not that I've ever called TR a flop, because I've argued it's probably either broken even or been mildly profitable. But plenty of people have been quick to dismiss it as a bomb and say a sequel isn't happening. So those same people should be staying consistent with what they're saying about Rampage. 

Edited by MovieMan89

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How's it getting to 400m? A 3x multi for its OS OW seems very unlikely for this kind of film,

With germany, poland, japan still to come out in mind, if we compare to other big monster/disaster movies with global opening I think it could happen and I am not sure it require a 3x multi to do it.

Kong Skull island did around a 221.26m global opening for a 566m total, 2.55x global multi.

San Andreas did around 179m global opening for a 473m total, 2.64x

I could imagine somewhat similar to San Andreas here, even with the good word of mouth and being a family movie, you have Infinity War coming up in many markets.

(148.6 + say 10m in market left to open) * 2.65 would go at 420.3

If it does Kong skull island, 404.43m

Tomb Raider did 23.6m domestic + around 100m intl opening weekend's, will probably end up doing a 275m, for a 2.23 multi, that would be a 353m performance for Rampage, but following legs of a giant video game franchise movie when you are not one would not be particularly good.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought this was a step up from San Andreas. My only major gripe was the Malin Akerman villainess subplot. It felt so removed from everything else in the film. Especially her devil's advocate. It just didn't vibe with tone and pacing of the rest of the film. Other than that, a brisk and fun diversion. The Rock and Jeffrey Dean Morgan play off each other very well, and the action sequences are better handled here than they were in San Andreas.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Barnack said:

With germany, poland, japan still to come out in mind, if we compare to other big monster/disaster movies with global opening I think it could happen and I am not sure it require a 3x multi to do it.

Kong Skull island did around a 221.26m global opening for a 566m total, 2.55x global multi.

San Andreas did around 179m global opening for a 473m total, 2.64x

I could imagine somewhat similar to San Andreas here, even with the good word of mouth and being a family movie, you have Infinity War coming up in many markets.

(148.6 + say 10m in market left to open) * 2.65 would go at 420.3

If it does Kong skull island, 404.43m

Tomb Raider did 23.6m domestic + around 100m intl opening weekend's, will probably end up doing a 275m, for a 2.23 multi, that would be a 353m performance for Rampage, but following legs of a giant video game franchise movie when you are not one would not be particularly good.

But IW is about to destroy the world in a couple weeks. Will Rampage's legs really hold up anywhere once it hits? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How's it getting to 400m? Anything over a 2.5x multi for its OS OW seems very unlikely for this kind of film, and 90m is about the ceiling DOM given IW in a couple weeks. 350m or so WW seems likely. That would put it in almost the exact same position as Tomb Raider in both its DOM and WW ratio to its budget. Not that I've ever called TR a flop, because I've argued it's probably either broken even or been mildly profitable. But plenty of people have been quick to dismiss it as a bomb and say a sequel isn't happening. So those same people should be staying consistent with what they're saying about Rampage. 

400m ww is within reach.

90 dom + 135 china + 175 os-china

what are you predicting os-china?

it had a 59 os-china ow. 59*2.55 = 150.5 + japan (10) + germany (10) = 170.5 + poland (?)

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

400m ww is within reach.

90 dom + 135 china + 175 os-china

what are you predicting os-china?

it had a 59 os-china ow. 59*2.55 = 150.5 + japan (10) + germany (10) = 170.5 + poland (?)

Those legs seem generous to me given IW's imminence. PRU will only get like a 2.1x os-china OW. TR's would be like 2.3x if you add its first batch of OS openings to its main one the next weekend.