BadAtGender

Tuesday - IO 8.8, JW 7.4, Ted2 3.8 - Gopher Shoots and Scores!

If the past few years were any indication, early previews will have a relatively high share of numbers for MMXXL and TG tooday. This seems to be the case for a lot of Wednesday openers, as their openings often apply to Discount Tuesday.

I wonder if its because there was no Pixar film last year, and if its going to hurt The Good Dinosaur

If Good Dinosaur truly is Pixar's equivalent of a John Ford film, I think it'll get similar acclaim as IO. 

The lack of family competition other than SW7, Peanuts' tailend run and..... Alvin 4? should get it to $240-270 million. $220-240 million if it doesn't sit that well with GAs.

• Like 1

Plus, it looks set to do $34-37 million this weekend, which would put it well above $250 million DOM by July 9

I'm not sure about that. Using Up's IM from 2009, it needs to stay flat Fri-to-Fri in order to get a drop in the low 30's. And it most likely needs its Thursday to be on par with (or even above) its Tuesday.

My guess is that it drops in the high 30's-low 40's this weekend, and about the same against Minions (due to previous deflated weekend + spillover).

I'm not sure about that. Using Up's IM from 2009, it needs to stay flat Fri-to-Fri in order to get a drop in the low 30's. And it most likely needs its Thursday to be on par with (or even above) its Tuesday.

My guess is that it drops in the high 30's-low 40's this weekend, and about the same against Minions (due to previous deflated weekend + spillover).

Ice Age 3 destroyed Up's legs, though. IO should hold better since Terminator/Magic Mike aren't remotely targeting its demographic.

• Like 1

Even if TG has a fine opening, its legs are likely going to be terrible. It does seem now that it won't be a Tomorrowland-level bomb, though.

Why terrible?

I am not expecting great legs, but WOM is not toxic for TG

Were there previews for TG in Canada at all? I checked the 4 nearest theaters yesterday and none had TG (or Magic Mike either).

With it opening on a Wednesday holiday Cineplex probably didn't want to have showings on Discount Tuesday.