grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Yeah the film got off on the wrong foot marketing wise with the Genie look and the first couple of trailers and since has been trying to recover. Also hard not to underestimate the role Emma Watson played in the success of BatB. While I never expected it to hit BatB heights it should have been an easy win for Disney when in fact it's fate is still uncertain.

I also think that despite everything else BatB was able to successfully for people adapt the look of the animated film very faithfully to live action. While Aladdin people were not sold on it faithfully adapting the visual look of the animated film to live action via the trailers which is a huge problem since that's one of the main appeals of a live action remake in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Mulder said:

A much less appealing product and Disney remake fatigue.

Particulary the less appealing product. Aladdin just looks ,well, pretty bad.

I don't care how popular the souce material, if it's badly made, it can fail. I suspect that Alladin will have a pretty big Opening Weekend, but if it's as weak as the trailers indicate, it will have weak legs.

Marketing can buy you a big Opening Weekend;but it can't guarantee legs.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Particulary the less appealing product. Aladdin just looks ,well, pretty bad.

I don't care how popular the souce material, if it's badly made, it can fail. I suspect that Alladin will have a pretty big Opening Weekend, but if it's as weak as the trailers indicate, it will have weak legs.

Marketing can buy you a big Opening Weekend;but it can't guarantee legs.

You need to decide its either good marketing or bad... your silly dilemma transcends these last few pages into something as mainstream as online box office forum xD TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Royce said:

Why is everyone in this thread literally ppl who hate disney live action films?

Can y'all gtfo and go to the franchise war thread or something?

Sick of seeing your toxicity

6 hours ago, Deja23 said:

If this was the Shazam! thread and someone kept shitting on BvS or JL or the Endgame thread, but all the complaints were about Ultron, it’d be annoying too and people would be called trolls for stirring the pot. But because it’s a live action remake, all bets are off and it’s okay.

Not saying people can’t state their opinion or criticize the movies, but doing so repeatedly when the same opinion has been thoroughly emphasized for the past 2 years is lame. Post about Aladdin and compare to BatB ‘17 if you want, then move on.

Everyone keeps complaining about Lordmandeep and his TLJ hate, which got old fast, but they don’t realize they do the same thing to certain movies.

Moderation

Please note that unless there is a report the only way Mods know if there is a problem in a thread is if we read the thread.

Reports = A problem with a post/thread.

There hasn't been a single report from this thread for several days.

No Reports = Everyone is happy with the thread.  There are no problems.

Please do not go back and report any previous posts in this thread as clearly everyone has been OK with them.

Also, the only reason we became aware of any issue is not because a problematic post was reported but because somebody else let us know about the above posts.  

Regards

BOT Staff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Alli said:

The animated one made 217M in 1992. Huge numbers. BATB made 218M  in 1991.  So about the same.

Aladdin is a huge brand. The live action should have done numbers comparable to BATB2017. Alas, won't happen, but it will not bomb with Under 200M. No way...i can't see it. Why would it/ what changed so much from 2017 when Beauty was released.

actually BATB made 145m in its original run. That extra money is from re releases. So Aladdin was far more successful than BATB when it came out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

A much less appealing product and Disney remake fatigue.

Not to mention putting it in the middle of Endgame and TS4.

Disney+ could’ve lived w/o Aladdin for a year and had Disney had this for 2020 it would’ve dominated. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not to mention putting it in the middle of Endgame and TS4.

Disney+ could’ve lived w/o Aladdin for a year and had Disney had this for 2020 it would’ve dominated. 

True, 2020 is gonna suck so bad but some films will dominate because of the crappy year. Heck we'll probably see a global decline.

Some veiled reviews out there:

(RT approved critic when she posts something on The Verge)

Down that timeline:

(from CNET.  No idea if he posts reviews or not)

===

Disney MIGHT have really shot themselves in the foot here with such a late embargo if the reviews really are better than expected*.

* YMMV when it comes to 'expected'.

Wouldn't be the first time a studio has done this; won't be the last.

(Which is why, BTW, one shouldn't consider a late embargo to be the end-all, be-all of discussion when it comes to a film's quality - not saying one can't be suspicious, just don't take it as the final word)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

True, 2020 is gonna suck so bad but some films will dominate because of the crappy year. Heck we'll probably see a global decline.

I'm hoping that smaller and original films that would normally not be in the spotlight are able to slip through the cracks because of the small amount of undeniable blockbusters. Like Artemis Fowl. If 2020 is a weak year, then that movie has a better chance.

But I agree that they should have saved Aladdin for 2020. It should still be a sizeable success anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Honestly if Aladdin pulls off a CR and ends up in the 70s that'd be the biggest Disney review embargo disaster in a while.

I personally think a late embargo wouldn't have necessarily been a big deal (though, should have been Tue or so) if it wasn't for the... apprehension over the movie in some quarters.  Even a Fri or Sat lift could have helped the buzz at the late stage if it comes in where you're hypothesizing. 

If it does come in the 70s or so, that really will be a pretty big misfire on Disney's part simply in the "read the room" category.  

Have to wait and see though, I suppose.  Personally I do hope it is reviewed well, if only for the folks who have been looking forward to this. 

• Like 3