grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

do we have little kids age 6 growling "the diamond in the rough"...

i remember it something like to trick you out of empowerment, like if you were adopted, you then wouldn't want to say anything because then diamonds were bad (gagg).  I think it was his teeth too with the smile that was scary

Spoiler

young-lost-confused-man-blindfolded-neck

Spoiler

lol at Mal and Cob characters as ostriches with their heads stuck in the sand.  addictions and stubbornness.  complete denial, haha.   It is like a doctor waits for their character patient to overcome the addiction for 2-3 years, and if their patient was on camera just lounging the entire time and cleaning with no development

(End of Days - Gabriel Byrne as Satan visits a patient in the hospital contained in a plastic bubble, and he lights up a cigarette, inhales, leans over to the patient and unwraps the plastic and blows the smoke into the container.)

Inception was made to keep people lasting and give them a strong backbone

Edited by Slave Animal Rights
  • Knock It Off 1

59 minutes ago, Slave Animal Rights said:

do we have little kids age 6 growling "the diamond in the rough"...

i remember it something like to trick you out of empowerment, like if you were adopted, you then wouldn't want to say anything because then diamonds were bad (gagg).  I think it was his teeth too with the smile that was scary

Nothing flies over my head.. my hands are too fast and i would catch it.... but here we are xD

Edit: my bad.. this is about aladdin being an orphan and having "scary white teeth"...gotcha xD

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Resolution
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think the quality of the original and the live action are about the same. 

Edit: Original seemed to run more smoothly and seemed to blend easier. 

Live Action gave Jasmine more to do and a greater purpose, while also having adding songs like Speechless.

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 2

The movie is going to end up only $30 million less than my original prediction from a year ago. And my prediction was based off of a OW prediction of $130 million (3-day). No way would I ever have imagined a multiplier of over 3X in its 5th week for a total of around 3.6-3.7X, let alone with all of the competition.

Edited by jedijake

Someone commented on the weekend thread on this, but I thought I'd post it here, how many weeks do people think this movie will stay in the top 10? I think it will stay for the month of July. August gets tricky, as there's a lot of smaller wide releases. 

From what I checked, the last Mayan release film to stay top 10 for at least 10 weeks was The Avengers. May is probably the hardest month to release a film and have that type of longevity due to the volume of big budget films that get released. 

If it keeps its drops at 25-30% though, I don't see why it can't. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Someone commented on the weekend thread on this, but I thought I'd post it here, how many weeks do people think this movie will stay in the top 10? I think it will stay for the month of July. August gets tricky, as there's a lot of smaller wide releases. 

From what I checked, the last Mayan release film to stay top 10 for at least 10 weeks was The Avengers. May is probably the hardest month to release a film and have that type of longevity due to the volume of big budget films that get released. 

Hmm, the 11th weekend following:

IO 1.55M

Maleficent .85

TJB .975

IM1  .92

gotg1 1.4M

Last summer you needed over 4.5 to make top 10 on that weekend, so that seems right out. On 10th weekend top 10 took 2.3, that’s possible but dicey. 

14 hours ago, AndyChrono said:

I'm hoping Aladdin can get a Labor Day Expansion with a sing-along version for the push towards 1 billion. I remember back in the day, Frozen got a sing-along version. Perhaps with international versions as well.

I can see Aladdin definitely getting an expansion. TS4 for sure will, but with Aladdin's consistent success, I can see it getting one too.

6 hours ago, vafrow said:

Most movies have short enough legs that the release month doesn't matter much though Christmas releases might stay in for a week more than average movies do.

Avengers was in the top 10 for nine weeks (in its 10th week it was at #12).

The last May release to stay in the top 10 for 10 weeks was Shrek 2 in 2004 (might have missed one)

Spoiler

To be fair though after 2000 most movies nowadays drop out early, My Big Fat Greek Wedding was in the top 10 for 19 weeks, Frozen and Chicago for 16, A Beautiful Mind and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for 15, Avatar was for 14 weeks, Black Panther, Zootopia, Traffic and La La Land for 13 weeks are the ones that stayed in the top 10 for more than 3 months)

So either the releases are old (2000-2002 A Beautiful Mind, Chicago. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (which in general had a weird run and is a total exception) and Crouching Tigger, Hidden Dragon)

or they had great word of mouth and I think that it's a combination of more than one factor as frontloaded movies like Superhero movies tend to be released in May while movies with long legs get released in November and December (animation etc. which only makes the difference bigger).

What I mean Superheros have short legs no matter where they get released and animation (ignoring this year) have long legs no matter when they get released.

Also:

I am not certain if it will be able to stay in the top 10 for 10 weeks, it's possible but I think that TLK will take away too much of its audience and on the 2nd weekend of that (Aladdin's 10th) it won't help so Aladdin will drop out of the Top 10.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Hmm, the 11th weekend following:

IO 1.55M

Maleficent .85

TJB .975

IM1  .92

gotg1 1.4M

Last summer you needed over 4.5 to make top 10 on that weekend, so that seems right out. On 10th weekend top 10 took 2.3, that’s possible but dicey. 

The bar to make the top 10 will probably not be that high near the end of July. TS4 is the only June release that will still be in the top 10. 

By tje end of the month, the big releases will all stay ahead of it (TS4, S:FFH, TLK, OUATIH), but outside of that, there isn't much that willingness be around unless they happen to resonate and have decent legs (Annabelle, Stuber, Crawl, Midsommar). From the latter group, I think by the end of the month, potentially Midsommar and Stuber may still he outperforming Aladdin. There seems too be very few limited releases on the radar that can break out and get into the top 10 this year. Last year had a bunch of those that don't seem to be around this year. I think Movie Pass being around helped bump up something smaller films. 

After having some fun with the "adjuster" function on BOM, I have realised that, among Memorial Day weekend openers, Aladdin's run is closest to those of... the first two Mission: Impossible films. I know, I know, different genres and different times, but, leaving aside the first two days of the M: I films (they both opened on a Wednesday), I think the comparison is worth posting:

Weekends:

Aladdin                       M: I (adjusted)                  M: I II (adjusted)

1 (3 days)        $91,500,929                $92,621,200                      $96,695,000   
1 (4 days)        $116,805,962              $115,808,300                    $118,377,400   
2                     $42,840,544                $44,090,600                      $45,160,400   
3                     $24,680,968                $29,888,300                      $28,804,200
4                     $17,309,154                $17,549,200                      $18,992,900   
5                     $13,244,015                $13,134,900                      $12,684,900

Full weeks:

Aladdin                       M: I (adjusted)                  M: I II (adjusted)

1                    $142,697,174               $137,454,500                   $138,244,200
2                    $65,188,752                 $62,451,200                     $62,072,800   
3                    $38,848,388                 $41,335,000                     $40,757,100   
4                    $28,575,814                 $27,216,300                     $26,883,100   
5                    $21,207,818                 $19,654,100                     $18,175,600   

After the end of week 5, M: I added another $44M (adjusted). If Aladdin follows it, its final gross will be $340M.

After the end of week 5, M: I II added another $39M (adjusted). If Aladdin follows it, its final gross will be $335M.

As for family films released in late May (but not on Memorial Day weekend), the non-adjusted runs of Shrek and Up (starting from weekend 2) are worth noting:

Weekends:

Aladdin                     Shrek                                 Up
2                     $42,840,544                $42,481,425                      $44,138,266   
3                     $24,680,968                $28,172,869                      $30,762,280   
4                     $17,309,154                $16,520,052                      $23,492,677   
5                     $13,244,015                $13,181,576                      $13,061,737

Full weeks:

Aladdin                       Shrek                                 Up

2                    $65,188,752                 $63,650,772                     $63,591,274   
3                    $38,848,388                 $39,360,824                     $46,112,546   
4                    $28,575,814                 $24,797,052                     $34,396,562   
5                    $21,207,818                 $20,479,858                     $21,122,488   

After the end of week 5, Shrek added another $63M (!). However, it dropped only 21.1% in weekend 6, 25.9% in weekend 7 and 22.1% in weekend 8. The likelihood of Aladdin's mirroring its late run is probably very, very low, but, if it does, its final gross will be $359M.

After the end of week 5, Up added another $35M. It was hit hard by Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs in weekend 6, dropping over 50%. Aladdin is likely to hold better (especially this weekend, as it faces no direct competition), but, if it follows Up, its final gross will be $331M.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A-and it's once again Aladdin's summer, as YET another would-be-usurper's lofty expectations get dragged through the mud.

TS4's domestic total finishing UNDER Aladdin's?? (Not to mention OS where Pixar is confirmed non-entity, and Aladdin totally rocks!) Who would have thought this??!!

There is clearly NO stopping of the Arabian Behemoth!

Stay tuned as next week another of Disney's own heavy hitters* get sent to do the job which Pixar failed... :)

* focking Marvel

Edited by shayhiri

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

A-and it's once again Aladdin's summer, as YET another would-be-usurper's lofty expectations get dragged through the mud.

TS4's domestic total finishing UNDER Aladdin's?? (Not to mention OS where Pixar is confirmed non-entity, and Aladdin totally rocks!) Who would have thought this??!!

There is clearly NO stopping of the Arabian Behemoth!

Stay tuned as next week another of Disney's own heavy hitters* get sent to do the job which Pixar failed... :)

* focking Marvel

tenor.gif

Edited by Spidey Freak