grim22

Jungle Cruise | July 30 2021 | Disney | Theaters and Premier Access

11 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Didn't Maleficent 2 flop anyways?

It made nearly $500M worldwide so it likely made some profit for the studio but that was a steep drop from the $750M+ global total of the first and guaranteed Disney wouldn't pursue a #3.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel this is kind of premature. The situation for theaters has looked a lot better the past couple of months and things have been steadily getting back to something resembling normalcy. The Rock and Blunt probably could have led this to be pretty successful assuming the quality is decent. 

I just wonder how Disney's day and date streaming is going to effect the box office for their films. WB's releases have put up solid number despite the hybrid release, but a lot less people own HBO Max than Disney Plus. Raya has been holding up well but didn't touch Godzilla vs Kong.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I can't help but feel this is kind of premature. The situation for theaters has looked a lot better the past couple of months and things have been steadily getting back to something resembling normalcy. The Rock and Blunt probably could have led this to be pretty successful assuming the quality is decent. 

I just wonder how Disney's day and date streaming is going to effect the box office for their films. WB's releases have put up solid number despite the hybrid release, but a lot less people own HBO Max than Disney Plus. Raya has been holding up well but didn't touch Godzilla vs Kong.

All the D+ hybrid releases in recent months have likely been in the deal-making stages for a while tbh. They clearly don't want to sit on these finished movies that would've been out a year ago and would be well into their pay TV runs by now any longer (that goes for all studios, really).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

All the D+ hybrid releases in recent months have likely been in the deal-making stages for a while tbh. They clearly don't want to sit on these finished movies that would've been out a year ago and would be well into their pay TV runs by now any longer (that goes for all studios, really).

True. Post-theatrical negotiations were in place for a lot of these releases long before Covid ever hit, so it definitely does make sense from that standpoint to just get stuff out in whatever way you can.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

All the D+ hybrid releases in recent months have likely been in the deal-making stages for a while tbh

52 minutes ago, Mango said:

True. Post-theatrical negotiations were in place for a lot of these releases long before Covid ever hit,

Are they not quite Disney exclusive heavy in most market ? Regardless usually post-theatrical deal are made with theatrical performance in mind, i.e. playing the movie on your streaming or tv platform will cost you x% of the your market theartical or a ramp of the domestic market, if the movie did x or y it became the type of movie that cost 17 millions instead of 12, that why studio push for 100 or 200m domestic and not other round number usually, those 2 being important historical landmark for post-theatrical contract.

I could imagine most of those contract got voided in the covid theatrical market and renegotiated, theatrical performance not being a good predictor of the demand for a movie anymore.

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This one makes sense tho considering that it's going for POTC vibes. 

tbh this, Mulan, and Cruella all earning PG-13 ratings when they're probably no more violent than the Maleficents, which somehow managed to get away with PGs (especially the second one, which had a Game of Thrones-esque death count as hundreds of mythical creatures died on screen via genocide), goes to show that "realistic/real world" violence is taken a lot more seriously than "100% fairy tale violence" is.

I just saw De Palma's Mission to Mars and I can't be the only one who thinks that is the best Disney theme park movie right? Don't know if this movie will be anywhere close to as good, but at least they have the shoddy VFX work in common (although the shoddy VFX kinda works in Mission to Mara's favour).

Edited by lorddemaxus

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I just saw De Palma's Mission to Mars and I can't be the only one who thinks that is the best Disney theme park movie right? Don't know if this movie will be anywhere close to as good, but at least they have the shoddy VFX work in common (although the shoddy VFX kinda works in Mission to Mara's favour).

Oh my friend.

• Astonished 1

On 5/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, filmlover said:

It made nearly $500M worldwide so it likely made some profit for the studio but that was a steep drop from the $750M+ global total of the first and guaranteed Disney wouldn't pursue a #3.

I remember Bruckheimer getting angry when someone called Pirates 5 a flop, and rightly so, $795m on a $230 million budget made it more profitable than the fourth one, something like a $150-200 million profit.

Tron Legacy made a healthy profit as well, I believe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

That movie was trash lol. I saw it in theaters when it came out and vividly remember Tim Robbins' death scene eliciting chuckles from the audience.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:04 PM, filmlover said:

Yes the $ did drop from Mal 1 for Mal 2, but that was more due to exchange rates. The admissions were quite normal drop from 1st one. 

In Europe's Big 5 (UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain), Mal 1 had grossed $104M while Mal 2 was just $78M (25% drop). In term of admits though, Mal 2 was 9.8M while Mal 1 was 10.5M, just 6% drop.

Similarly in LATAM. Mexico lc$ gross drop of Mal2 was 16% of Mal1 but in USD 45%.