grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

We probably don't have enough data to say this yet but I honestly feel like this movie would've grossed more than WW84 worldwide (which if I had to guess would've grossed $600 mil at best) and would've been WB's biggest film of 2020.

I think it would of been close for sure, I definitely didn’t think the trailer would get the reactions it got yesterday. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed the KOTM trailers more as 2-minute videos, but I think this trailer does a better job advertising "why should you go see this movie"? The KOTM trailers leaned hard into the "mass extinction/Titans" part of the backstory which only the core fans really care about. This one really emphasizes the fight scenes. 

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What I'm really hoping for is that a good chunk of the action is presented from ground level, not just the CGI aerial shots.

One of my favorite aspects of Godzilla 2014 (which I consider far better than most give it credit for) was that the action was primarily presented through the eyes of the humans on the ground, until the end clash. It helped sell the scale of what we were witnessing. I have yet to see KOTM, but my impressions from the trailers were that the action would have very little human POV. That's the same impression I get from this trailer. I just re-watched the main trailer for the first Pacific Rim. Full of ground-level shots. That's what really sells the action.

Also, the more I watch this trailer, the more I dislike it. As far as these MonsterVerse trailers go, it's the laziest in execution. Both trailers for Godzilla were masterclasses in building suspense and dread (credit goes to Alexandre Desplat's music and Bryan Cranston's acting). Kong's trailers had that rocking 70s war film vibe and a lot of charismatic actors having fun. KOTM leaned hard into the operatic vibe, and while the quality of the cinematography is up for debate, its nonetheless memorable.

This trailer for GvK is just lazily edited, without any memorable acting, cinematography, or music. It's just bland.

Completely agree about the ground level human perspective stuff. When you first see Godzilla’s gigantic foot in that airport scene it really brings it home just how big he is.

Its a big part of why Pacific Rim worked so well, even during the fight scenes you were seeing things from the human perspectives on the ground and also in the Jaeger cockpit. The original Pacific Rim was absolutely incredible in IMAX3D, to date it’s one of my favourite IMAX experiences, the sound and the visuals were just stunning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If you include WB India (where this trailer seems to be doing really well for some reason), it has already passed 1.2 million likes.

Telugu Twitter started the team kong vs team godzilla as trolling among the local stars fanbases, which gave the film indirect hype.

Edited by jatvision
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Considering what everything we've seen so far based on its performance and WoM, $600 mil seems pretty reasonable.

no 

I think worst case scenario domestic would've been like 330M, so you're telling me like 270M OS lol

Edited by Ethan Hunt