Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

More or less, the end results have been positive for studios, so they'll keep working with him assuming their execs don't mind doing so. (And there are definitely people who don't mind working with him). Second unit directors tend to do a lot of big action scenes anyway, aside from the big popular geek action directors, so Liman's hardly alone in that regard.

I know it's second unit directors job to do all the VFX heavy action shots but in this case, Liman was barely supervising the whole thing from the start like he was witnessing the thing as a guest merely contributing instead of helming. As if, when it became clear Liman wouldn't get those sequences done on schedule (studio being tight and a tad pressed because McQuarrie was still figuring out the script simultaneously), the studio asked the second unit director to take up duties and get the thing done asap letting Liman wandering around with the toys make believe he's in charge of the whole thing since he gets producer credits (meaning he got an ironclad contract on that front so he can't be fired from his movie thus retains director credits).

There's a recurrence in all those behind the scenes tales that Liman acts like a spoiled brat, the production is bleeding money due to his ever-changing mood and overall lunatic decisions (or indecision) the movie get made in spite of him by ghost directors and 2nd units on studio mandates. Play, Rinse, Repeat.

And I'm not sure if studios are that pleased by the end results from his recent track record considering how Liman is a pain in the ass that constantly need to be pampered and watched over by the studio execs mandating a second director to cover up for the shit he pulls off and salvage the mess because he can get things derailed at every corner due to his attitude. At best, they just recoup the investment. Bourne franchise is more associated with Greengrass than his name.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

There's a recurrence in all those behind the scenes tales that Liman acts like a spoiled brat, the production is bleeding money due to his ever-changing mood and overall lunatic decisions (or indecision) the movie get made in spite of him by ghost directors and 2nd units on studio mandates. Play, Rinse, Repeat.

When he starts having a string of unsuccessful movies, they'll pull the plug. I also wouldn't say they're made "in spite of him". But no question, when you complicate the process, the studios only put up with it as long as you're successful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

He's almost as popular as Ant-Man.   Not quite "almost", but he's not lagging too far behind.  

....in popularity....

....to freaking Ant-Man.    

Wolverine Origins in 2009 was probably about the peak of Wolverine's popularity.  He was the driving force behind the first 3 xmen which all increased one to the next, and then origins sold enough tickets to open over $100m at today's prices, nothing to sniff at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I know it's second unit directors job to do all the VFX heavy action shots but in this case, Liman was barely supervising the whole thing from the start like he was witnessing the thing as a guest merely contributing instead of helming. As if, when it became clear Liman wouldn't get those sequences done on schedule (studio being tight and a tad pressed because McQuarrie was still figuring out the script simultaneously), the studio asked the second unit director to take up duties and get the thing done asap letting Liman wandering around with the toys make believe he's in charge of the whole thing since he gets producer credits (meaning he got an ironclad contract on that front so he can't be fired from his movie thus retains director credits).

And I'm not sure if studios are that pleased by the end results from his recent track record considering how Liman is a pain in the ass that constantly need to be pampered and watched over by the studio execs mandating a second director to cover up for the shit he pulls off and salvage the mess because he can get things derailed at every corner due to his attitude. At best, they just recoup the investment. Bourne franchise is more associated with Greengrass than his name.

I didn't know about any of that and I love Edge of Tomorrow. I feel like if he has it in him, and with del Toro's help from back then lying out the film, he'll be fine. I find the concept of a "Dark" Justice League silly, but it does sound cool in Brazilian Portuguese. Hopefully it'll be awesome, and I'm all for bringing Keanu back. 

Tom Cruise, aka the most hard working actor in Hollywood of the last 30years, made another movie with Liman so it can't be that bad, Cruise is VERY demanding.

Not having a third act when you start shooting is more common than you might think.

He does come off as a brat but full of energy in this making of but I am  not sure a 2h making-of can sum up 2 years correctly.

Leonardo DiCaprio has the studios pay for his mother and his Victoria s secret girlfriend of the week all of their planes ticket bills so they can join him on location, beat that Doug !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Tom Cruise, aka the most hard working actor in Hollywood of the last 30years, made another movie with Liman so it can't be that bad, Cruise is VERY demanding.

Not having a third act when you start shooting is more common than you might think.

He does come off as a brat but full of energy in this making of but I am  not sure a 2h making-of can sum up 2 years correctly.

Leonardo DiCaprio has the studios pay for his mother and his Victoria s secret girlfriend of the week all of their planes ticket bills so they can join him on location, beat that Doug !

Liman and Cruise are both producers so Liman can act aloof playing the mad genius on a tentpole and still get studio movies to be made because he always got back up and minions when he fucked up to steer the wheel.

It's telling that even through a promotional tool edited to make everyone look good and friendly to each other, Liman still comes across as a brat living in his entitled bubble. Yeah, all I got from that making-of is that we should thank Simon Crane very much for the watchable end result. (The same Simon Crane that also salvaged Mr and Mrs Smith from Liman's erratic direction).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, lupinw45 said:

DC Fans? You better tell the 90% of the general audience who also bought the tickets. ;)

SLAM DUNK!

That sounds a lot like some Dallas Cowboys fans I know who have to resort to bragging about this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-still-nfls-most-popular-team-despite-being-terrible-at-football/

"We're loyal yo!"    That's why Jerry Jones never changes what he does.   The fans won't stop supporting him.   If that's a "win" it's much different than the "win" in my dictionary. 

16 hours ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

More or less, the end results have been positive for studios, so they'll keep working with him assuming their execs don't mind doing so. (And there are definitely people who don't mind working with him). Second unit directors tend to do a lot of big action scenes anyway, aside from the big popular geek action directors, so Liman's hardly alone in that regard.

People  would be surprised on how many directors get credit for great action scenes when it is the second unit director who actually did the work.

• Like 3

The only thing that interest me in this debate is the obession of the BOT's Mod Team with DCEU movies, they are almost all closeted DC stans.

No need to hide anymore, come out in the open.

We won't judge you.

:)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

That sounds a lot like some Dallas Cowboys fans I know who have to resort to bragging about this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-still-nfls-most-popular-team-despite-being-terrible-at-football/

"We're loyal yo!"    That's why Jerry Jones never changes what he does.   The fans won't stop supporting him.   If that's a "win" it's much different than the "win" in my dictionary. 

It's so condescending of you to assume that people don't actually enjoy the DCU movies only because you and critics in general don't. That attitude is around here a lot, it's really weird, it's almost like people shouldn't have different tastes or something.

I love the MCU, God only knows how much fun their movies give me. Hell, I even really like Thor TDW! And still, I really enjoyed all the DCU offerings so far as well. Is it so hard to grasp such possibility?

my favorite franchise is X-Men though :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The only thing that interest me in this debate is the obession of the BOT's Mod Team with DCEU movies, they are almost all closeted DC stans.

No need to hide anymore, come out in the open.

We won't judge you.

:)

It probably has something to do with age. Those 30+ year-old types actually grew up in an era which included a DC renaissance in comics (which the DC movie universe borrows heavily from) and only had DC movies  at the theaters. They also do not seem to be as in love with Pixar as the younger crowd. I guess the relative senior citizens are all bro-dude-macho-men that are not in touch with their inner unicorn-lover, but will not admit their bias due to being shredded to bits by the second-coming of boy-band-war zealotry.

I know it's basically a forum joke meme at this point, but really, the staff has zero rooting interest in pushing one franchise over another. We can't even agree with ourselves about what the franchise order would be.

(At least, I hope that was a joke. :lol: If not, let's nip that in the bud right now). 

• Like 1