Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

3 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Yeah, there is a decline in the amount of movies the big studios are putting out. I was more referring to what you mentioned in your first point about 10,000 movies a year being made. Disney will have more power over exhibition, but if less movies are made by big studios, that opens the door for small movies. The movie theaters have to play some movie in their theaters. They won't leave screens blank. 

The problem is that smaller movies usually don’t make as much bigger movies, and Disney almost exclusively releases big movies. 

21 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

However, if a person just hates Disney, and wants Fox there to beat Disney at the box office, that person is hugely hurt by this deal. That's one less studio making tentpoles that could attempt to cut Disney down to size.

These people don't exist. Normal people don't cheerlead certain big corporations over others, the deal is terrible for a multitude of reasons but no-one is bemoaning it because they're "Fox fanboys".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I need a short bio on Disney.

How did they become so big ?

Did it all start with Katzenberg and the Big 3, Beauty, Aladdin, Lion King ?

I know they were already pretty big at that time but it seems to me that after these 3 films they started to become this unstopable force ... to get where they are now.

When did they start to buy a tv network , etc?

Edited by The Futurist

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean there is over 10,000 movies a year made according to imdb,

ww I guess without looking it up

That another big theme, big budgets have to fight more and more against local movies. The ones with the biggest chances to get accepted into a foreign market are usually bringing with them something established, like a franchise, a director, actors... something ppl will recognise.

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The problem is that smaller movies usually don’t make as much bigger movies, and Disney almost exclusively releases big movies. 

The real small movies try to get seen in an 'ocean' of too many other real small movies

Locally interesting movies might get a chance for a release in a local cinema

The problem is also:

what stories get told. We have a lot of TV stations, we have the Internet, games, sport, those strange contender shows (don't know the name, like dancing, singing... trying to get contracts).... less scripted in general

People change their viewing habits

= in the sum the most stories got already told in a way the most of the GA wont need feel a need to watch a new version.

GA goes never (huge majority of the population =0 ) to I think 4 times a year into a cinema.

They want to watch usually something, that is better experienced in a cinema than at home.

Most of the movies do not need to be seen on the big screen per story, style of filming,....

What will GA pick?

Either children's movies. And the 'live-action' versions of those. Something with music as a strong factor

To a lesser degree nowadays: girls night out movies

Or:

Something with vast landscapes, speedy racing cars or..., impressive visualisation if the forces of nature, certain biopics, certain periods...

also action, explosions, something still suited to watch as a family.

Space / deep sea / desert, fantasy, Sci-Fi action-comedies,... offer that often.

= usually expensive in budget

42 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I didn’t care about Fox as a studio, but they were still a major part of the film industry, and with them being absorbed into Disney, Disney has now secured an even bigger stronghold on the market share than they already had before. No matter how you slice it, that isn’t good for competition. 

This is exactly like the Uber vs taxi company debate. The only answer is to offer a better product. That's how you keep competition strong. The only reason Disney is in this position now is they were savvy with their Lucasfilm and Marvel acquisitions. Some will complain that Disney only makes franchise movies. From a creative standpoint, sure, you can criticize them (and justly so). From a business standpoint, they're geniuses and deserve the massive stature they're gaining. Again, they EARNED the right to gobble up the competition like they are now. They offered products that the masses wanted and the box office proves that. You can't ask a company like Disney to stop so that the kids can catch up. 

If someone wants to vent their anger at or blame someone, do so at the consumers who are paying lots of money for what Disney offers. The consumers set the market.

I absolutely HATE clickbait journalism, most vlogging and tabloids. HATE IT! Yet at the end of the day the only reason it's possible is because the market is their for it. I still hold people in the business accountable for lack of journalistic integrity, but mainly I lament the fact that there is in fact a market for this stuff. It's the people.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

This is exactly like the Uber vs taxi company debate. The only answer is to offer a better product.

If one has to buy 6 figures permits the other $0, full of rules to follow and not the others, not taxed the same ways there is more to it than offering a better product or not.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hades said:

Those Fascist at Disney....  Can't wait for Netflix to bury their streaming service .....:sweat: 

I don't think that's gonna happen. Disney- will have a very appealing catalogue of movies and tv shows, and they will use their popular IP to lure fans into checking the original stuff.

I don't think Netflix will bury Disney-, but I believe it will remain the top streaming platform.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

If one has to buy 6 figures permits the other $0, full of rules to follow and not the others, not taxed the same ways there is more to it than offering a better product or not.

Admittedly not the greatest example. But the point stands.

A Movie like the Favorite has no-very liitle creativity whatsoever.

Castles and queens dresses, whoo ! ooh never seen that. 

NEVER EVER !!!

Novelty factor : O-Nada-Rien-Ziltch

The fact this movie was described as the epitome of great filmmaking in 2018 is depressing.

Cinephiles don't like to see new things, they have their comfort zone which they rarely escape from.

You know what s rich ?

They accuse the franchise films to be unoriginal : movies where literally hundreds of artists create places, creatures, powers, machines, clothes, tech, colors etc etc you never saw in your life.

Am I the only one to truly see the fucking Irony in all this ?

It seems so.

Cinephiles scream "ORIGINILATY IS KING !!!! "all day long, "franchises films are cancer to creativity !!!!"

but they have uncontrolled erection to a fucking Queens and servants movie set in Victorian England ...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::hahaha::hahaha:

I can't even ... :hahaha::hahaha:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

They accuse the franchise films to be unoriginal : movies where literally hundreds of artists create places, creatures, powers, machines, clothes, tech, colors etc etc you never saw in your life.

Do they ever accuse film that come up with new creatures, powers, place to be unoriginal, did we saw so much talk about how unoriginal Valerian was or Alita ? The second one entry of the franchise... well they obviously have a point (franchise and never saw in your life tend to not fit together that well).

That reducing to originality to the concept are they humans are unknown aliens shape/new magic sound ridiculous, originality in film making goes to score, dialogue, pace/energy, cinematography, editing, etc... and is not limited to anything.

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

NEVER EVER !!!

The fact this movie was described as the epitome of great filmmaking in 2018 is depressing.

Cinephiles don't like to see new things, they have their comfort zone which they rarely escape from.

You know what s rich ?

Am I the only one to truly see the fucking Irony in all this ?

It seems so.

Cinephiles scream "ORIGINILATY IS KING !!!! "all day long, "franchises films are cancer to creativity !!!!"

but they have uncontrolled erection to a fucking Queens and servants movie set in Victorian England ...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::hahaha::hahaha:

I can't even ... :hahaha::hahaha:

what? you're dissing The Favorite? I thought it was incredible and so captivating. Of course, it presents an alternate history like many films these days....it seems to be the fashion in cinema,  but it was so well done.

@Walt Disney

It's not going to be LionsSummit Gate. They have the JWick series, but their last wide appeal was Hunger Games.

One less major studio amongst the Big Six actually means more money & time to market the same kind of movies

Suck the air out of smaller movies that have to "meme" their way to the top of a 25% market share

That's the competition

Netflix & Uber facilitate the accessible & affordable tech revolution.  Major corporate consolidation is a means to survive a dying industry. 

Edited by 2kt09

I have one last question. Last time I talked to you, I asked about Disney+ and at that point it had just been announced and you were like, “Yeah, we’re talking with them.” And now there’s been some announcements, but I’m wondering are you going to be using a Star Wars expanded universe [approach], like are these going to be prequels or how are they going to fit into the MCU?

Well, obviously I don’t want to get too specific. We’ve announced the Loki series and Tom Hiddleston’s involvement. But it will be MCU proper. Sometimes it will take place as Captain Marvel did in a time before current events, sometimes it will take place during. What I will say, whatever happens in those, in those shows and with characters that have been in the films, they’ll undergo transformations – not Loki necessarily – but will undergo transformations in their series and those transformations will be reflected in their next film appearances. Because we’ve been developing long form narrative stories for Disney+ at the exact same time that we’ve been developing a post-Endgame MCU, we’ve been able to do something we’ve never done before, which is interweave them from the start, from the plant. So it’s pretty exciting to be 10 plus years into the MCU and have an entirely new outlet to tell stories with new characters, with existing characters. And the way we like to do nineties action movie, political thrillers, heist movies, you hear us talk about this all the time, and now we get to do play with a medium even more in a multi-episode arc, which we’re excited about.

Well I guess Marvel is finally going to connect tv shows and movies.....just only the ones that are under the Marvel Studios brand. 

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm just stating the facts. The Flash was reportedly one of the 3 most beloved characters in Justice League test screenings alongside Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Flash wasn't beloved as far as I remember nobody even mentions that there was flash. People like Quicksilver from X-Men than Flash who just vanished in a Flash pun intended

Edited by Nero

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

NEVER EVER !!!

Am I the only one seeing the irony in an MCU fanatic condemning movies for not bringing anything new to the table? :hahaha: