CJohn

Creed 2 | Nov 21 2018 | Steven Caple to direct. Production begins March

80M domestic total would be ok (but of course I hope it will finish higher). Boxoffice.com is probably conservative again. Does anybody still remember what they predicted for the first Creed movie in their Long Range "Tracking"? I can't find it, I only remember that it was way too low and that hsx which is heavily influenced by these box office forecasts had Creed at only 35M domestic total till the very good reviews were released, then it rose to 40M (;)).

Creed started on a Wednesday and Thanksgiving 2015 was of course on Thursday. This one also starts on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so no change here. The OD will very probably be higher than it was for the first film (Creed: 6M OD, thereof 1.4M Tue). And probably also the second day (Creed: 6.5M). Then with a 3-day weekend of 23M it would already be close to 40M and if the reception from moviegoers isn't totally bad, a factor of only 2 (5 days x2) seems too low IMO.
As mentioned above, MBJ is much more well known now and I also think that almost all fans of the first Creed movie will come back plus those who want to have it a bit more nostalgic with Drago and his son and who want to see a really interesting boxing match. If the reviews are not completely terrible it shouldn't diminish, at least not 30M.
I mean it can also happen that the first five days are much more frequented than we think now.

Better keep your expectations down and a result of (far) over 100M WW with a probably not much higher budget than the last time wouldn't disappoint me at all.
But it's pure speculation anyway. As always, we have no idea what will happen.

39 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

buzz for this seems to be muted despite coming of a well revived predecessor

Seems to me another example where interest peaked too early. 

Hopefully it doesn't affect box office too much, but its already happened a few times this year (aka Christopher Robin IMO). The movie looks like it'll be great so I don't doubt its going to do well, but I felt more excitement for this a few months ago than I do now. 

• Like 1

Why would you feel any Buzz, for a movie in the $100m range, with the main target group of older males? 

There's just one thing, that might hurt it and that's a November full of movies targeting the older Demo. 
Bohemian Rhapsody, Spider's Web, Widows and to some degree Robin Hood as well.  That's a lot of movies. Creed 1 only faced a poorly received "Spectre".

8 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Why would you feel any Buzz, for a movie in the $100m range, with the main target group of older males? 

There's just one thing, that might hurt it and that's a November full of movies targeting the older Demo. 
Bohemian Rhapsody, Spider's Web, Widows and to some degree Robin Hood as well.  That's a lot of movies. Creed 1 only faced a poorly received "Spectre".

Green Book rather than Robin Hood. Also, RH's gonna bomb. 

IMO it's too early for real buzz. Probably that's the normal valley between trailers and the one or two weeks before the release. Especially when so many anticipated films are opening before like Halloween, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Grinch, Widows, Fantastic Beasts 2. It's also funny because reading the threads of this site there is no film where not somebody mentions the low buzz, for Fantastic Beasts 2 (where I see a lot of buzz here in Germany), The Nutcracker, The Grinch...:P. Not that it is wrong, I have no idea sitting here in Europe, I only mean that interest can pop up very fast and that seems to happen quite often in the last months.
I think interest (and promo) for Creed II will increase next week or rather the week after next. From trailer clicks it should be in front of the first movie (16.2M and 12.5M now to 11.6M and 3.7M back then) but I'm not 100% sure if I updated it till Creed actually came out; OTOH these numbers don't change dramatically in the last weeks, so it can't make a big difference.
And judging from the first tiny little presales it's way in front of the other Thanksgiving movies. When I looked today it was 31 to 6 (Robin Hood) to 1 (Green Card which will rather find its audience than Robin Hood in my opinion too), Ralph's did not start, and 18 for The Instant Family if I remember right. But as I said, it's way too early.

Off topic: When I looked for the Creed II numbers I noticed that The Mule has also fine trailer view numbers, around 8M. For a film with probably also fans which are (much) older than the normal youtuber that seems to be impressive.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 9:34 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

buzz for this seems to be muted despite coming of a well revived predecessor

If it wasn't for my going to check release dates and going "Oh, I have to see this and Ralph 2 on the same day?", I wouldn't even know when it came out.

No Buzz eh?

Tracking for 48m 5 day OW

https://deadline.com/2018/11/ralph-breaks-the-internet-creed-ii-robin-hood-thanksgiving-box-office-projections-1202493906/

Creed II is through the roof with African Americans, Hispanics followed by Caucasians. Males are definitely there, but it’s showing itself to be an event pic across all quads. Creed II‘s anticipated haul is poised to best the Ryan Coogler-directed 2015 installment which grossed $42.1M over the Thanksgiving period. In the history of the Rocky canon, the boxing champ movies —Rocky, Rocky IV and V have played the late November side of the calendar. This time the son of Apollo Creed, Adonis (Michael B. Jordan), fights against Viktor Drago, the son of former Rocky Balboa foe Ivan Drago.

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

Just now, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

No Buzz eh?

Tracking for 48m 5 day OW

https://deadline.com/2018/11/ralph-breaks-the-internet-creed-ii-robin-hood-thanksgiving-box-office-projections-1202493906/

Creed II is through the roof with African Americans, Hispanics followed by Caucasians. Males are definitely there, but it’s showing itself to be an event pic across all quads. Creed II‘s anticipated haul is poised to best the Ryan Coogler-directed 2015 installment which grossed $42.1M over the Thanksgiving period. In the history of the Rocky canon, the boxing champ movies —Rocky, Rocky IV and V have played the late November side of the calendar. This time the son of Apollo Creed, Adonis (Michael B. Jordan), fights against Viktor Drago, the son of former Rocky Balboa foe Ivan Drago.

That would make this the biggest Thanksgiving opening ever for a non-Disney movie, edging out the $46M 5-day launch of Four Christmases.

• Like 1