Plain Old Tele

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT - The Marvel/DC Kobayashi Maru Thread - BVS vs CIVIL WAR (for masochists only) | SPOILERS ALLOWED

I wonder if it would be possible to actually have a productive and interesting discussion here.

There are some some really fascinating aspects to explore, both with the way that Hollywood tends to come around to doing similar ideas in a number of different movies (Apocalypse also has that hero vs. hero aspect), and in the specific differences and similarities in these approaches.

Beyond that, the meta discussion about why MCU seems to click generally while the DCEU is more divisive would be interesting... just as long as it isn't sidetracked, even to the degree of calling one good or bad, much less calling the fans of either that.

But I'd guess its impossible to hope. There are too many members who are invested in the properties as a part of their identity to allow for that much distance.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Until BVS comes out, is there even a DCCU?

I think it's pretty divisive even conceptually at this point. There's been enough commentary about how they're doing it wrong. Usually it's couched in a comparison to the MCU as the right way to do things, but I'm really curious as to why that is. And even so, what is it specifically that's wrong? Is it because the DCEU is trying too much to be like the MCU or it's not like it enough?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

I think it's pretty divisive even conceptually at this point. There's been enough commentary about how they're doing it wrong. Usually it's couched in a comparison to the MCU as the right way to do things, but I'm really curious as to why that is. And even so, what is it specifically that's wrong? Is it because the DCEU is trying too much to be like the MCU or it's not like it enough?

Yeah, I don't really buy the argument that it's automatically wrong. After BVS and the first solo movies start to come out, then perhaps we can judge. Conceptually, I feel like it could work. What it'll depend upon is the execution. (And really, you could say the same thing about Marvel too -- they had a good game-plan but if the first couple IRON MANs didn't work (in terms of popularizing him and a potential larger Marvel universe), they would've crashed and burned.

53 minutes ago, #ED said:

So... Spider-Man felt out of place in that last Civil War trailer and none of the BvS trailers did anything for me. Looks like X-Men Apocalypse will have to do.

yes yes, come to our side

we have cookies.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, I don't really buy the argument that it's automatically wrong. After BVS and the first solo movies start to come out, then perhaps we can judge. Conceptually, I feel like it could work. What it'll depend upon is the execution. (And really, you could say the same thing about Marvel too -- they had a good game-plan but if the first couple IRON MANs didn't work (in terms of popularizing him and a potential larger Marvel universe), they would've crashed and burned.

I would argue that the first Captain America and Thor were just as important - obviously the explosion of Iron Man was the catalyst for all of it but the other two are super goofy concepts that were both reasonably successful and well-liked before the crossover. Their missteps, as it turns out, were the ones they could afford to misstep on (IM2 and Hulk reboot)

26 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

You hear both intermittently which tells me that people have no idea what they actually want, they'll just know it when they see it

• Like 2