CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Warner Bros biggest franchises:

DCEU

Harry Potter spin offs

Kong/Godzilla

Lego

They have alot riding on DC.

I'd bet anything Potter and the gang are back circa 2020-2021.

1 hour ago, James said:

I said the same thing last year when a lot of people were happy to give the OS OW record to JW for opening with 315m vs DH2's 314m, despite the fact that JW actually needed a huge opening from China to succeed. Actually, China aside, no movie ever came close to topping DH2's OS opening. Like, no other movie even managed to get over 300m. So saying it's unfair gives you nothing, even though I agree with you per se.  

To be even more accurate, exchange rates should also be taken into account. JW, for ex, opened with much worse ERs than HP8.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

DCEU

Harry Potter spin offs

Kong/Godzilla

Lego

Im not liking that IP collection vs Disney but maybe that was always going to be the case. They are gunning for clear 2nd place over Fox & others.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I'd bet anything Potter and the gang are back circa 2020-2021.

Count on it. Once FBAWTFT is done The Cursed Child is coming.

Edited by Kraken

19 minutes ago, James said:

The downbeat notices could still take a toll. The business that “Dawn of Justice” does over the next few weeks when it has the field largely to itself will be telling. But there are some positive signs.

“Fandango tells us that the repeat business has already been significant,” said Goldstein, “so we think the word of mouth will be just fine.”

http://www.thewrap.com/batman-v-superman-who-was-right-critics-or-paying-public/

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

DCEU

Harry Potter spin offs

Kong/Godzilla

Lego

They will probably get bond, but also only disney can say they have a stronger list of frachises with marvel, star wars, pixar, and their animation. paramount and sony are gone lionsgate is done and universal has JW and FF but thats it. Fox has X men and I can't really think of much else

Edited by boomboom234

40 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

What does Deadpool have to do with anything? I'd like to note that Superman's reputation in films had been declining for a while (when was the last Superman movie people actually thought was good? It was Superman II with Christopher Reeves. That was back in 1980. 36 years ago. Every movie since then has been bad or mixed including Man of Steel.) As for Batman, yeah he's solid.

A property most ppl including myself didnt know existed execpt for CMB fans had a OW of 130M even with a R rating.. Showing us that these big opening numbers arent that special anymore..  Superman reputation doesnt matter.. were talking about a iconic symbol here.. no movie in 30years or 1/2 bad movies doesnt change that.. He is still known and relevant to the GA..

It's opened higher than any Batman or Superman movie.

TDKR, 2d and a shooting that prob affected the OW with millions of dollars openend with 160M in 2012.. and a for the first time ever a batman vs superman movie in 3d in 2016 does only 10m more?! not really a big succes in my book..

Also, if a movie is going to open to at least $150 million regardless of quality and it opens to $170 million then that's a win in any book.

avengers did 200m JW did 200M.. iam pretty sure WB was going for a event movie and atleast aiming for something close to 200M

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kraken said:

Count on it. Once FBAWTFT is done The Cursed Child is coming.

And it will be insanely big. Not TFA but it will be a world wide mega smash.

2 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

To be even more accurate, exchange rates should also be taken into account. JW, for ex, opened with much worse ERs than HP8.

Even with the same rates, China aside, the 100m diference between them (china did 99M) is still absolutely huge. Maybe it would have done 20m more. And that is a big ass maybe.