CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

28 minutes ago, Rth said:

Top engagements 25-27/3
all BvS

1-AMC Empire 25 NYC
2-AMC Garden State Paramus NJ
3-AMC Burbank 30
4-ST Palladium, San Antonio TX
5-AMC Lincoln Square, NYC
6-Regal Atlantic Station, Atlanta GA
7-AMC Gull Pointe 30, houston TX
8-Regal Kaufman Astoria, Astoria NY
9-Regal New Roc City New Rochelle NY
10-Cobb Dolphin , Miami FL
11-Regal Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn NY
12-Regal Ontario Palace, Ontario CA
(combined with Mills 30 would be #2)
13-Regal Irvine Spectrum Irvine CA
14-Regal Union Square, NYC
15-Pac Arclight Hollywood
16-Regal LA Live Stadium
17-AMc 34st , NYC
18-AMC Orange, Orange CA
19-ST Palladium , Richmond TX
20-Regal Marq, Houston TX

Top Canada
1-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto , 2-CPLX Cinema Banque Montreal, 3-CPLX Scotiabank Calgary

This is why my theater was so quite this weekend. Everyone went here...

11 hours ago, CJohn said:

BvS sold 107000 tickets on his OW here. 

Comparisons for OW:

Deadpool - 112000 tickets;

Avengers - 107000 tickets (5 day OW);

Age of Ultron - 101000 tickets (5 day OW);

The Dark Knight Rises - 110000 tickets.

Man of Steel sold in total here 110000 tickets.

So basically there are about 100,000 Portuguese people out there that will go see a superhero film OW regardless as to whether it is DC, Marvel or Fox :)  

• Like 2

• Community Manager
36 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

It was obviously reactionary. Snyder was on quote (literal YouTube interview) that he'd rather make Man of Steel 2 an evolution of Superman before we meeting new characters like Batman. It was a WB call, and it was made very obvious back then. Dismissing it as a fan site fallacy is actually somewhat insulting for those that actually keep tabs on how these productions go. 

Snyder might have preferred to have made Man of Steel 2 but not so strongly that he was willing to drop out of the project. It might have been WB's call but they thought they could deliver a strong Batman vs. Superman movie now. Snyder is a professional and I'm sure he did the best he could with the project that WB hired him to do. Trying to suggest otherwise is silly. For the most part, people don't set out to make bad movies. They try to make good movies. People who go into studios tend to do so for a reason (besides the money): they love film(s). They want to make good films. It doesn't always work out.

Here is Australia after 5 days.  BvS is reall falling behind FF7 now.

Both FF7 and BvS opened over Easter here.  We have nationwide public holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday.

FF7 had $0.3m in Wednesday night limited previews.

FF7 OD was $3.3m vs 3.4m for BvS

FF7 OW was $14.6m vs  $13.2m for BvS

5 day weekend was $18m vs $15.7m for BvS

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just spoke to a friend who saw it at Dolphin Mall this weekend. Heh. Shocked the Disney Springs and Universal Citywalk theaters didn't represent its largest business in this state.

I don't think I've ever seen Citywalk make the lists on my time here. When RTH posted his top Deadpool theaters neither were on there but Waterford Lakes was. 

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I just spoke to a friend who saw it at Dolphin Mall this weekend. Heh. Shocked the Disney Springs and Universal Citywalk theaters didn't represent its largest business in this state.

Yeah across the board Dolphin , Aventura mall & Disney Springs often big ones , Disney Springs BvS was about #5 in state

36 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Washington State seemed awfully quiet this weekend. Even the Boeing IMAX wasn't selling out all of its shows. Any theaters from here even make it in the top 50, Rth?

No not even close, biggest southcenter in Tukwila

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

It won't be. An astonishing second place though. And GREATLY deserved, mind you. :lol:

If Deadpool becomes the highest grossing superhero flick of 2016 thats awesome and well deserved.   I was really late to seeing it because I was initially wary of seeing yet another cookie cutter CBM(I think the the last one I saw was was GOTG) but some friends convinced me to see it.   It was fresh, violent, actually funny, and fourth wall breaking awesomeness.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Rth said:

Yeah across the board Dolphin , Aventura mall & Disney Springs often big ones , Disney Springs BvS was about #5 in state

Ooo, what were the other two (assuming the Dolphin and Aventura- lawd that place is always a nightmare- were the other two) in the state?

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think I've ever seen Citywalk make the lists on my time here. When RTH posted his top Deadpool theaters neither were on there but Waterford Lakes was. 

We saw movies at Citywalk and Waterford Lakes while staying with extended family in Orlando for the Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 holiday and both theaters were mad busy.

21 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

For the most part, people don't set out to make bad movies. They try to make good movies. 

Not even "for the most part". People set out to make a great movie. Even when it's something like a parody -- SHARKNADO -- the goal is to make something that people will enjoy watching because of its ironic "badness". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancelot123 said:

Ignoring the numbers, I personally think that BvS will be under Deadpool domestically. I just don't have any evidence or statistics to back that up at the moment. Just based off a gut feeling and the fact I hated MoS. I'm a huge Superman fan, he's my favorite superhero, but I almost walked out of that movie. Never had the urge to do that before or since. Have no plans on seeing BvS or any other DCU movies due to that experience. Which is a shame since the DC TV shows and cartoons have always been awesome. Especially The Flash and the cartoons; Batman: The Animated Series, Superman and Justice League.

From one Supes fan to another, you wouldn't like BvS.    They changed him to a depressed emo character who is also an idiot to make Batman look awesome.   Look for that trend to continue in JL but of course WW, Flash, GL, Aquaman, and Cyborg will be turned into idiots so Batman can be the "genius".

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I was, but that doesn't have anything to do with multiple superheroes or not. The whole "oh, audiences are stupid so we'll be able to just slip it by them" is not a part of any serious creative concept. Filmmakers (including producers and creative execs) just don't take that approach. Like I mentioned before, it's a fallacy that's really common here (and on other fan-sites) that a result should be equated with effort or intent.

Something just popped into my head...what did you think of that Kevin Smith story about the WB exec who wanted all those crazy things for the Superman movie Smith was writing?  (giant spider, no flying, no costume)    From that story it seems there are actual bad execs working in Hollywood who are behind some of these ideas.

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

It was obviously reactionary. Snyder was on quote (literal YouTube interview) that he'd rather make Man of Steel 2 an evolution of Superman before we meeting new characters like Batman. It was a WB call, and it was made very obvious back then. Dismissing it as a fan site fallacy is actually somewhat insulting for those that actually keep tabs on how these productions go. 

I tend to be forgiving of Snyder since Watchmen is one of my very favorite CB movies and I liked 300.    He might be taking more heat on this one that he deserves.   Was it really his idea to have Batman in this movie and make Supes a supporting character?   Was it his idea to wedge in 3 separate comic book storylines?

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Not even "for the most part". People set out to make a great movie. Even when it's something like a parody -- SHARKNADO -- the goal is to make something that people will enjoy watching because of its ironic "badness". 

Well for all I know there could be like ONE guy in the thousands of people who make movies that's said in an interview that's said he wants to make bad movies, for whatever reason, and for all I know iJack could have found said interview.

But yeah. I've read an interview from a writer who tried selling his work to The Asylum and he noted that they actually think they are making good movies and they take them very seriously.

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Oh lawd, that reminds me I once was flipping through TV and came across this gem from Asylum on SyFy:

And all I could think was "oh sweet merciful Christ, this is what finally brings Debbie Gibson and Tiffany together after all these decades?!?!?!" :lol:

• Like 2