CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is going to be lucky if it makes 1/6th of what the original did. Although it would've fallen by more than 50% had it arrived in 2004.

Probably will still be profitable for Universal, the budget is only $18m, will easily make that back just from domestic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

How much MBFGW2 needs to be a success? The budget must be very small.

Budget is small so probably not much.

That said, it's still headed for one of the most hideous sequel drop-offs ever, so it kinda balances out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, #ED said:

I'm going to say 170M OW. I guess we're all expecting WOM to suck, so I think Friday is safe and then everything will go down hill from there.

We have no indication of that. Reviews were at the other end of the spectrm than the fan reactions. So 200m is still happening.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, James said:

We have no indication of that. Reviews were at the other end of the spectrm than the fan reactions. So 200m is still happening.

200M is not happening. I will be shocked if it happens. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BourneFan #1 said:

Let's get this thread started off on the right track.

Is Gravity sci-fi?

Is Star Wars YA?

Should Donald Trump be President? :thinking:

Yes.

Probably.  

Not of the United States.  

8 minutes ago, James said:

$200 million is happening, just not for the opening weekend.  There was already some trepidation after MoS, and with the average reviews it won't have the momentum of Deadpool, Jurassic World or Avengers to carry it over $200.  Or even $180.

$173.7 opening weekend, heavily on Friday.   And the the downward descent beings, very rapidly.   Under $500 DOM.  

• Like 2

If WOM is as bad as the reviews are I have it at $150M and wouldn't hesitate going even lower. And it's not that the reviews are bad, it's the they've spent three years hyping this movie up so people are going with extremely high expectations that need to be met and if they're not met you can guarantee bad WOM will spread. 

And looking at the amount of show times in the theaters around me, it doesn't look like the theaters are adding any show times for The weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The47th said:

The budget for the first one was $5M! And this doesn't look more expensive at all.

Yeah but that was an "indie" 15 years ago. No one expected it to make 1/10th of what it made. The new one is kind of a franchise studio movie with wide release and a marketing push. Also I bet Vardalos, Corbett and all the other unknown cast members will get much more money than the first one. I think it's budget will easily be more than triple of the first one.

• Like 1