CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

Just now, Baumer said:

I can't believe the reaction you guys are having to the reviews.  This is a movie that will be driven by the loonies, not the critics.  Why don't you wait to see what the general population thinks of it first.

Wow, you guys are seriously over reacting.

What's funny is people reacting like this is so shocking. Like, after the divisive reception Man of Steel had, they should've known to keep their expectations in check. But people never learn so...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nova said:

When it comes to Super Hero and comic book movies critics and the general audience are typically on the same page. Maybe slightly differing opinions but it's never been polar opposites. When was the last time a comic book movie had 40% on RT and a 46 meta score and was loved by the general audience? And it's not just critics...even fan boys have been mixed with the film and they're supposed to love it. Let's stop kidding ourselves when the writing is on the wall. 

agree with this. Comedies like Daddy's Home are where audiences can trend much differently than critics. I see it getting mid 60s from audience or so. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

What's funny is people reacting like this is so shocking. Like, after the divisive reception Man of Steel had, they should've known to keep their expectations in check. But people never learn so...

What expectations?  There's nothing to go on right now.  These are critics.  They are not the ones invested into this universe the way the fans are.  Batman has a massive following and if the film is anything near as good as what I have been reading from FANS then this is going to be an awesome movie.  I can't believe you guys really think critics are going to mean anything to this film, especially opening weekend.  I don't get you guys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, #ED said:

200M is not happening. I will be shocked if it happens. 

Not anymore, it would have had to have fantastic citric approval in order for that to be even possible, I'm at $184m.. wonder if that is too high now though.

Just now, Baumer said:

What expectations?  There's nothing to go on right now.  These are critics.  They are not the ones invested into this universe the way the fans are.  Batman has a massive following and if the film is anything near as good as what I have been reading from FANS then this is going to be an awesome movie.  I can't believe you guys really think critics are going to mean anything to this film, especially opening weekend.  I don't get you guys.

Some thought that a film from the same crew that made the previous movie, a very divisive film that many people had problems with (especially the uncomfortable level of violence in the third act), would still be able to turn this one around because "OMG BATMAN!!!!"

I'm still seeing the movie obviously, but I didn't particularly like Man of Steel and nothing about this looks like they really learned from its issues, so it's not like I ever had high expectations for this in the first place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I can't believe the reaction you guys are having to the reviews.  This is a movie that will be driven by the loonies, not the critics.  Why don't you wait to see what the general population thinks of it first.

Wow, you guys are seriously over reacting.

You're seriously surprised B ??

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

When fanboys who yes are also "critics" are giving it mixed reviews then yes we can sit and question it. I'm still going to go watch with an open mind obviously but it's not just the critics and it's something to think about when giving OW predictions. 

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Where have you been yesterday?!! The RT watch was the most mind-boggling thing I've seen in my life. I could've used some help.:lol:

• Like 1

The audience isn't made up entirely of fans. There should be plenty of non-fans who have been on the fence all this time, who would readily go see it if it got praised but don't have much interest now. (I'm one of them). That's money lost, even though the movie will still be a huge hit.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Not anymore, it would have had to have fantastic citric approval in order for that to be even possible, I'm at $184m.. wonder if that is too high now though.

switch the 8 and the 4 and you're on the right track!

2 minutes ago, DealWithIt said:

Fanboys are mixed on it? Well I guess you have to do what you have to do to fit things into your narrative. 

Have you watched the guys from Collider, IGN etc review it? It wasn't praised and was given a C in a lot of cases. The only positive reaction it got was from people who were at the premiere which happens with every movie. There is no fitting of the narrative but it just seems that some people can't handle the fact that the initial batch of reactions from people who should love the movie have been mixed/meh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Have you watched the guys from Collider, IGN etc review it? It wasn't praised and was given a C in a lot of cases. The only positive reaction it got was from people who were at the premiere which happens with every movie. There is no fitting of the narrative but it just seems that some people can't handle the fact that the initial batch of reactions from people who should love the movie have been mixed/meh. 

Who gave the 'a lot' of C scores? I'm curious.

29 minutes ago, Baumer said:

The movie doesn't work on a pretty fundamental level.

The audiences will notice it, trust me.

Bad reviews don't come out of a vacuum and even superhero movie sites and geeks sites are very disappointed with the movie, you know people who actually care about these worlds and characters.

I say this as one of the biggest Zack Snyder's fan on this board, I watched Man of Steel on Blu ray to hype me up, a movie that I still love to bits.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think so unfortunately ...

• Like 2

I predict this is going be MOS all over again:huge opening weekend but weak reviews and tepid WOM will hurt it's legs.

And I love the way Baumer in his posts seem to equate the General Audience with the Fans.

• Like 1