CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

I wonder if a point of contention with more casual movie going audiences is (very, very minor BvS spoilers, essentially nothing, but even if this is too much, feel free to edit it out)

Spoiler

that the titular fight doesn't happen until at least 90 minutes into the film. It's an eternity and people that showed for that promise may not like just how long the film takes to get there.

There are certainly larger issues with the film, IMO, but that's the sort of thing that can make people on the fence no longer feel inclination to check it out.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Really?? I didn't like it at all in the context of the movie. Red Capes is probably the only piece that really stands out to me.

I guess It's a part of the Wonder Woman hype:

Is She with You

iTunes:
#27 Singapore (+21)(+25)
#45 Taiwan (+6)(+55)
#75 Malaysia (+124)
#76 Mexico (+19)
#76 Thailand (+14)
#80 India (+95)(NE)
#97 Russia (+38)(+70)
#130 Ireland (NE)(NE)
#185 Turkey (NE)(NE)

44 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Does EU or latin American countries even have Good Friday as a holiday? I'm not quite clear on other countries vacation patterns. 

Even in a Muslim-majority country like mine, Good Friday is a public holiday.

Anyway, I know it's not good movie and most of the time I agree with the critics, but not this time. It's not that bad, more like a 55-60% RT movie for me, and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm rooting for this movie to get 170M+ OW.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:
1 BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE
Warner Bros.

$82,010,000

-- / $19,333
$82,010,000 / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A
2 ZOOTOPIA
Buena Vista

$9,519,000

+112% / $2,594
$226,928,409 / 22

N/A

N/A

N/A
3 MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2
Universal

$7,210,000

-- / $2,301
$7,210,000 / 1

N/A

N/A

N/A
4 THE DIVERGENT SERIES: ALLEGIANT
Lionsgate/Summit

$3,650,000

+92.2% / $976
$40,755,496 / 8

N/A

N/A

N/A
5 MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN
TriStar

$3,300,000

+106.3% / $1,083
$27,927,249 / 10

N/A

N/A

N/A
6 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
Paramount

$2,055,000

+91.3% / $733
$52,065,797 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A
7 DEADPOOL
Fox

$1,685,000

+104.2% / $721
$346,157,050 / 43

N/A

N/A

N/A
8 LONDON HAS FALLEN
Focus Features

$975,000

+84.4% / $449
$53,663,857 / 22

N/A

N/A

N/A
9 HELLO, MY NAME IS DORIS
Roadside Attractions

$515,000

+357.7% / $1,055
$2,082,764 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A
10 RISEN
Sony / Columbia

$315,000

+117.2% / $497
$35,412,421 / 36

N/A

N/A

N/A
11 EYE IN THE SKY
Bleecker Street

$300,000

+760.5% / $2,439
$1,022,107 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A
12 WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT
Paramount

$295,000

+31.4% / $348
$20,721,065 / 22

N/A

N/A

N/A
- STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS
Buena Vista

$261,000

+84.4% / $473
$933,118,528 / 99

N/A

N/A

N/A
- THE PERFECT MATCH
Lionsgate

$222,000

+79.1% / $337
$8,263,628 / 15

N/A

N/A

N/A
- KUNG FU PANDA 3
Fox

$220,000

+83.3% / $458
$139,073,218 / 57

N/A

N/A

N/A
- THE REVENANT
Fox

$143,000

+50.5% / $283
$181,766,117 / 92

N/A

N/A

N/A
- GODS OF EGYPT
Lionsgate/Summit

$80,000

+36.7% / $169
$30,026,369 / 29

N/A

N/A

N/A
- DADDY'S HOME
Paramount

$77,000

+70.8% / $370
$150,001,643 / 92

N/A

N/A

N/A
- EDDIE THE EAGLE
Fox

$65,000

+6.6% / $248
$15,085,264 / 29

N/A

N/A

N/A
- SPOTLIGHT
Open Road Films

$51,706

+38.8% / $251
$44,232,544 / 141

N/A

N/A

N/A

That Deadpool... O_O

17 minutes ago, James said:

Ok, I have a question. We have Good Friday and on Sat/Sunday business will be slower because of the Easter. If so, next week, the drops from Friday will be bigger, but Sat and Sun should have better than usual drops right? And seeing how you mentioned F7 was very frontloaded, why would you expect an ever bigger drop? Plus, this doesn't have summer weekdays so it's weekends should be stronger. Is a 55% drop really that out of the question, especially considering the complete lack of competion?

The drop next Friday will be huge. Not just because Good Friday was a semi-holiday, but also from 28m in previews getting dumped into that number. Saturday and Sunday should have normal-ish drops, but not enough to cushion that Friday crusher. F7 had great WOM and dropped 59.5%. This has considerably more mixed WOM, so expecting a few more percentage points seems reasonable. Yes, a 55% drop is almost certainly out of the question.

8 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Lol. Sorry. I mean Sucker Punch. 
But yes, it would be Snyder's best. But as it is, it is PTA's worst. 

Wonder why Zack Snyder hasn't made a movie yet, that is as well-received as his best-received film, "Dawn of the Dead"?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I don't get the kneejerk reactions among a lot of comic book fans.  Disliking a movie doesn't mean you're a troll for the other 'team'.  Yet the response to any criticism in the thread seems to be "you're just a Marvel fanboy".  Because clearly there's no other possible reason to dislike this movie.

I have always considered myself more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan.  I pick up way more DC Comics, I watch every DC animated movie that comes out.  I was - and still am - a tremendous fan of BTAS and JL/JLU (and really, everything Timm/Dini produce).  One of my biggest comic influences is Dwayne McDuffie (I was inconsolable for a long while after he died).  I even loved the cartoon version of Teen Titans.  I can't think of a Marvel cartoon I've watched in its entirety since the old X-Men series.  When it comes to the movies, I liked GotG, Ant-Man and the first Captain America and was middling on just about everything else.  So believe me when I say that I don't go into a film like this hoping it'll be bad.  I mean that's just a ridiculous thing to hope for.  If this movie is bad, then I'll never get my JL movie I want so badly, and if they can't make a decent movie with Batman and Superman, two of the biggest names in DC, then I don't have any chance of seeing some of my more obscure DC faves, like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, making their big-screen debuts.

I want to believe this movie is something I would like... but I don't believe it based on what I've seen in trailers and heard about both from critics and fans (both what they liked and didn't like).  I'm already not super huge on Zack Snyder's movies, finding that they tend to favour style over substance.  It's kind of like Michael Bay, but if Michael Bay wasn't obsessed with explosions and ball-jokes and was instead a hipster art student who really likes using colour filters on everything.  He seems to have no real ability to pick a story or show characterization, much less to show characterization consistent with what I've enjoyed in the comics.  

I think I would have liked this movie in someone else's hands.  The majority of the cast sounds great to me and I've heard nothing but good things about Affleck as Batman.  But given my personal experience with Snyder's films AND the criticisms I've heard that mostly confirm that this has those same elements, I don't want to see it.  And based on these factors, I'm pretty confident that watching it 'to give it a chance' isn't going to do anything but waste $30-$40 that I can't easily spare.  

Stating that I don't like it, in this case, has nothing to do with liking or not liking other Marvel/DC movies, and everything to do with past experiences, my knowledge of my own taste in movies and the reviews I've seen/heard.  Could I be wrong?  Yeah.  I'll probably watch it at some point when one of my friends inevitably gets the Blu-Ray.  If so, I'll be delightfully surprised.  Until then I'm not going out of my way.

TL;DR: Disliking this movie doesn't make you a DC Hater/Marvel troll.  People need to learn that there's more reasons to dislike something than because you're a fan of the competition.  That kind of back and forth discussion and accusation is really kind of pointless, isn't it?

• Like 6

I really hope Zootopia can sneak into 24 million atleast. 23 million looks more like the number at this point but I hope it can hold on better.

Heck I though last week that 35 milliom was the max that it'll do, but it did 37 million which is great. Hopefully it'll exceed my estimates again! :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I wonder if a point of contention with more casual movie going audiences is (very, very minor BvS spoilers, essentially nothing, but even if this is too much, feel free to edit it out)

Reveal hidden contents

There are certainly larger issues with the film, IMO, but that's the sort of thing that can make people on the fence no longer feel inclination to check it out.

I don't think it's much of an issue. Firstly, it's something you might care about more after the fact. And if you're that much on the fence, odds are some other factor would be a much stronger turn-on/off.

Seems like an acceptable number for WB.  Like Joss Whedon says, though, opening weekend is all about what kind of job the marketers did.  Every weekend after that is about the film itself.  

What's interesting about this situation is that we won't have to guess for very long how WB feels about its performance.  Either they are going full-steam ahead with Zack Snyder and the same script they have and start shooting JL in a few weeks, which means they don't care at all about the critical reception and are happy with the box office receipts, or we start hearing rumblings about delays and/or new script writers being brought in.  

22 hours ago, BK007 said:

Meh, this will do less than IM3 worldwide and will have a hard time beating deadpool in the U.S . Putting JL against the infinity war would have been a very bad idea so Warner was right to have a 2017 release date for that .  

8 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Maybe almost nobody takes care, but TFA increased over last friday, really  great late legs, i love to follow a box office recorder until last penny, its nice.

I dont think it´have any expansion but if´ll have maybe go enter the top 10 adjusted...pity..

• Like 1