Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

TWS only went up to 90% pretty recently, I'm not that into RT rankings but it always amused me that DS was higher than TWS since DS used to be 90% IIRC and has dropped to 89%. Then when I checked recently I'd noticed it'd reversed, so I guess new reviewers are adding their scores now.

Not pleased with spoilers probably going to be popping up around now, so I'm definitely avoiding twitter (and large parts of the internet tbh) until I see it. I was already going to make myself scarce since I hate the obsessing over reviews before seeing a movie myself but spoiler risk just makes it a necessity. I don't want to go in with too much info, and there's literally a week to go for me now. I just hope it isn't as cold next Wednesday as it is today otherwise I'll be freezing my ass off to see previews. 🥶

Anyway, love the new poster, rme @ comparing it to CM (just stfu reviewers who are doing that), can't wait to see the movie. We've had some covid scares recently around here and I've been praying that we can just avoid any kind of level change before BW because I'll be gutted if I can't see it in a sold out (or close to) IMAX on opening night. I've been waiting so goddamn long and I need this. I feel like even writing this is tempting fate but fingers crossed. 🤞

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude is horny, who cares?

You know how I act when it comes to my celebrity crushes and I'm one of the most sex-positive people you will ever meet.

However, I still think it's supremely unprofessional as a critic to take part in this kind of behavior in a review for a movie. Bradshaw could have easily talked about ScarJo's other attributes or even just talked about how he enjoyed Nat as an independent, femme fatale-esque figure. But instead, he just went off on a weird tangent that because he just couldn't take his hands out of his pants.

And yeah this stuff just...doesn't happen when professional female critics talk about attractive men in movies. Whether people like it or not, this is perpetuating patriarchal male gaze nonsense and it's bizarre to me people are fine with that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

You know how I act when it comes to my celebrity crushes and I'm one of the most sex-positive people you will ever meet.

However, I still think it's supremely unprofessional as a critic to take part in this kind of behavior in a review for a movie. Bradshaw could have easily talked about ScarJo's other attributes or even just talked about how he enjoyed Nat as an independent, femme fatale-esque figure. But instead, he just went off on a weird tangent that because he just couldn't take his hands out of his pants.

And yeah this stuff just...doesn't happen when professional female critics talk about attractive men in movies. Whether people like it or not, this is perpetuating patriarchal male gaze nonsense and it's bizarre to me people are fine with that.

I really don't see anything wrong with him talking about him something that the actress herself has admitted is part of her appeal. And we rarely see these kinds of remarks from critics in general. One review out of like 80 is a dude getting horny for ScarJo's voice. I'm pretty sure we'd see a female critic talking about how hot Tom Hiddleston's voice is or something in a review for Loki if more female critics wrote reviews for these big trades (and I'm pretty sure if someone digs a review up, they could find a similar remark about a male A-lister).

I agree that it's a weird remark, but I think it's nothing more than that.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Dude is horny, who cares?

Someone start a review for The Guardian and the first thing he have to say is show how horny he was because of the actress voice, and then he search for a twisted relationship from the character with her dad? This is strange, and not really unusual.

And apparently, some woman cares and personally i think they're right to call out this type of writing.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I really don't see anything wrong with him talking about him something that the actress herself has admitted is part of her appeal. And we rarely see these kinds of remarks from critics in general. One review out of like 80 is a dude getting horny for ScarJo's voice. I'm pretty sure we'd see a female critic talking about how hot Tom Hiddleston's voice is or something in a review for Loki if more female critics wrote reviews for these big trades (and I'm pretty sure if someone digs a review up, they could find a similar remark about a male A-lister).

I agree that it's a weird remark, but I think it's nothing more than that.

Doesn't matter how rare it is. These types of creepy remarks should be at zero. 1 does not equal zero. And while I will concede that this kind of stuff likely would happen to men if more women wrote for the trades and might have been done before...that still doesn't excuse it. It was wrong then and it's wrong now and people should call people out for this kind of behavior. If you're not offended, I respect that, but that doesn't mean other's can't nor shouldn't call out this kind of stuff, especially women who consistently deal with this garbage

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Doesn't matter how rare it is. These types of creepy remarks should be at zero. 1 does not equal zero. And while I will concede that this kind of stuff likely would happen to men if more women wrote for the trades and might have been done before...that still doesn't excuse it. It was wrong then and it's wrong now and people should call people out for this kind of behavior. If you're not offended, I respect that, but that doesn't mean other's can't nor shouldn't call out this kind of stuff, especially women who consistently deal with this garbage

I think the difference I personally see here is that other women don't have a Best Picture nominated movie that literally involves the sex appeal of their voice. I definitely think it would be bad if he made the same comment to some random woman.

And I totally welcome critics commenting about sexiness of both male and female stars in big-budget blockbusters. It's a big part of the reason why they land these huge roles and are liked by many. Critics already do this on their twitter accounts too.

Edit: I found out Bradshaw might've made sexual comments about Adam Driver's dong before too, so he's not targeting women here or something. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Does that…make it appropriate? Because someone has done it before? 

I just don’t see why this would be worth talking about. I’ve seen worse examples of critics making sexual comments in their reviews. It’s not like this is the first time someone has sexualized Scarlett Johansson. Her career has largely been built around being a sex icon. 

• Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I just don’t see why this would be worth talking about. I’ve seen worse examples of critics making sexual comments in their reviews. It’s not like this is the first time someone has sexualized Scarlett Johansson. Her career has largely been built around being a sex icon. 

And she said last week that she wasn´t happy with this, so?

People sexualized her a decade ago and this doesn´t make it fine that people still do it in 2021 even after she talk about how this isn´t good for her.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

People sexualized her a decade ago and this doesn´t make it fine that people still do it in 2021 even after she talk about how this isn´t good for her.

If she said that, then ok. That’s different. People were making it sound like the problem was that reviewers shouldn’t talk about this stuff at all, which came across as somewhat hypocritical to me. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, Internet rating systems would have you believe it was hated lol. 

Anyway, sorry to derail. Gorgeous new poster Marvel just tweeted out: 

Can I just say oh thank god… Every day we went without an updated official poster was slowly eating at me.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

>gets famous cause people find her hot

>doesn’t want people to say she’s hot

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b055c65ta0xloebmu569

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cap said:

ScarJo not showing up at the premiere... what’s the O/U on her preggo? 🤔

eta:

twitter going though the motions I see 

It was the London premiere where apparently Pugh was the only star from the movie in attendance (a result of the travel restrictions still going on in all likelihood). If they have a US premiere (and if they had one for Cruella I imagine they will for this too) I'm sure we'll be seeing her and Harbour there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It was the London premiere where apparently Pugh was the only star from the movie in attendance (a result of the travel restrictions still going on in all likelihood). If they have a US premiere (and if they had one for Cruella I imagine they will for this too) I'm sure we'll be seeing her and Harbour there.

They had one tonight and she didn’t show 🕵️

(by the way, I don’t say this in a negative way. Her and Jost just got married. That’s what happens when people get married. I am really shocked there wasn’t a Covid baby.)