Kalo

Black Widow | July 9 2021 | ScarJo secures the bag from Disney

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Superbowl commercials , even without the Covid factor, are not the big thing they were a few years ago.

Yes, I know that...but they ran an ad for this last year, obviously... and Universal ran one for FAST/Furious, even though they now don't have a date...  😂

Widow will go simultaneous theatrical/streaming debut, that's still my bet.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

to me - sounds like they’ll push. Raya they’ll get away with because a lot of Europe including UK will still be closed so that’s effectively just a D+ PVOD launch and Mulan and Soul happened.

UK/Europe exhibitors are currently working out 20-30 day window arrangements with the studios - and while WW84 was a watershed moment, it was really one just for the US and Canada. Theater owners elsewhere appear to be fighting tooth and nail to keep any such moves just to the U.S. and Canada this year. If Disney could take this to D+ *only* in North America, maybe it could happen, but they won’t do that, it has to be everywhere the service is active. 

• Like 2

Admittedly, Disney will continue to experiment with release strategies until moviegoing recovers to a significant degree. Next month, the cartooned family film “Raya and the Last Dragon” is premiering simultaneously in theaters and on Disney Plus for an extra $30.

“Some films we will take theatrically. Some films we will take to Disney Premiere Access. And in some cases, we will take it directly to service [Disney Plus],” Chapek said. “It’s really about flexibility. We’re going to steer our decision making over time given [the needs] of our subscriber base.”

Disney Still Plans to Release 'Black Widow' Theatrically - Variety

Probably means the plan if it reaches the point is to delay this (the shows will be providing new MCU content for a while anyway) while Jungle Cruise (the only other movie yet to be released whose marketing began pre-pandemic), Cruella, and Luca all head to Premier Access.

• Like 1

I get King Kevin's reasoning. Just like EON's refusal to play ball and sell NTTD to Netflix or whoever, he doesn't want to devalue a MCU theatrical release. But ultimately he doesn't run Disney. 

Just imagine what nightmare he/they would be in if instead of a relatively stand-alone-not-major-MCU-continuity-necessary chapter like BW if this was friggin Endgame.

• Like 2

No guys, a hybrid release doesn't devalue a movie and is not a bad thing, it gives people who want it more options, and more options is always good for everyone.

Wonder Woman 1984 hybrid release helped Warner Bros a lot in the end with good BO numbers in times of pandemic but also a lot of subs for HBO Max.

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

No guys, a hybrid release doesn't devalue a movie and is not a bad thing, it gives people who want it more options, and more options is always good for everyone.

Wonder Woman 1984 hybrid release helped Warner Bros a lot in the end with good BO numbers in times of pandemic but also a lot of subs for HBO Max.

The Difference is WB needed to do it and Disney doesn’t. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I have to be honest, I'm not particularly interested in this movie anymore and I wonder how many other people feel the same. Black Widow is a fine character but this is not a game changer type film like say a Black Panther 1 or 2 being delayed, it's set in the past right after Captain America Civil War which came out almost 5 years ago and the character is dead in the current timeline so there's minimal stakes involved which means I personally can't get too invested in whatever happens in it.

Now I'm not saying the movie is gonna be bad, it will likely end up being just fine, but it needs to just be released at some point. How much longer can you wait? How much of the general audience is still interested in this enough to go out of their way to see it?

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

No guys, a hybrid release doesn't devalue a movie

Sure, I’m not a physical format snob. But as a BO enthusiast and Marvel fan, I’d prefer the option that gives a bigger more exciting run, and more profit.

25 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

more options is always good for everyone.

Nope. If piracy wasn’t a thing this would be a lot closer to being true though.

26 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Terrible theatrical revenue, unclear how much it will actually help with subscriptions. Hardly a shining success story that inspires others to follow suit (this isn’t just some fanboy thing, I don’t think releasing Soul for free was wise either although I immensely enjoyed it as a consumer).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, clockwork said:

I have to be honest, I'm not particularly interested in this movie anymore and I wonder how many other people feel the same. Black Widow is a fine character but this is not a game changer type film like say a Black Panther 1 or 2 being delayed, it's set in the past right after Captain America Civil War which came out almost 5 years ago and the character is dead in the current timeline so there's minimal stakes involved which means I personally can't get too invested in whatever happens in it.

Now I'm not saying the movie is gonna be bad, it will likely end up being just fine, but it needs to just be released at some point. How much longer can you wait? How much of the general audience is still interested in this enough to go out of their way to see it?

My thoughts exactly. If this were a film with significant ramifications for the MCU, I could maybe understand delaying it again, but it’s a midquel. It’s clearly not supposed to be one of the bigger MCU stories of Phase 4 or whatever this is, so I don’t see why it needs the constant delays. 

• Like 1

They already confirmed yesterday that some movies will be heading to D+ Premier Access but that's likely referring to titles that aren't certified guaranteed moneymakers like the MCU is. Kinda fits in with my idea earlier that they must be ready to write off projects that have been awaiting release like Jungle Cruise and Cruella (movies that were never 100% surefire blockbusters in theaters but would definitely generate a ton of streaming views as Disney vehicles with certified A-listers). Maybe Luca as well, although that would be the second Pixar movie (or third, if you want to count Onward seeing its theatrical run harpooned days after opening) to be turned into a glorified streaming release.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 5:32 AM, filmlover said:

They already confirmed yesterday that some movies will be heading to D+ Premier Access but that's likely referring to titles that aren't certified guaranteed moneymakers like the MCU is. Kinda fits in with my idea earlier that they must be ready to write off projects that have been awaiting release like Jungle Cruise and Cruella (movies that were never 100% surefire blockbusters in theaters but would definitely generate a ton of streaming views as Disney vehicles with certified A-listers). Maybe Luca as well, although that would be the second Pixar movie (or third, if you want to count Onward seeing its theatrical run harpooned days after opening) to be turned into a glorified streaming release.

Do people really care about this movie though? It's not linked to phase 4 and she's not a super-powered individual so I wonder, it feelsl ike a movie that would gross $650-700m pre-Covid; perfectly fine, profitable but not anything big.

As for the Premier Acess I think they will stop doing once things get back to "normal" even if it works well, Disney doesn't act like they want to make this a long term formula for some movies.

9 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Do people really care about this movie though? It's not linked to phase 4 and she's not a super-powered individual so I wonder, it feelsl ike a movie that would gross $650-700m pre-Covid; perfectly fine, profitable but not anything big.

As for the Premier Acess I think they will stop doing once things get back to "normal" even if it works well, Disney doesn't act like they want to make this a long term formula for some movies.

It's the MCU. Anything associated with it is a guaranteed moneymaker these days. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I am waiting since ages for the movie.

About her not having powers, still not 100% sure about that, she did so e things that seem way over the average already, it might be based on the extreme training she went through since a child, but if they do add more out of her comic origin, she got there a weaker Russian supersoldier serum way back.

The upcoming movie should give some light on her past too, a co-reason I can not wait for it, as I really want to know which details they will show and which ones not.

• Like 2