Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

22 hours ago, DAJK said:

I really don't think this will go under 20. An opening similar to Christopher Robin seems likely, but I'm finding it really difficult to gauge audience interest in this project. The trailer has been out for nearly a year, and it seems like a big enough movie that awareness will definitely be their for kids due to Disney's targeted marketing. 

In reality, I wouldn't be shocked at this breaking 30M for the weekend. But I'm definitely not expecting it. 

Oh, it will do OW between 20 and 30 Million OW, but for what The Mouse intended as a Holiday blockbuster that is a big disspointment. It's going to be a misfire for Disney.

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

what's the budget for this? I can't imagine that OS will care, though, and FB should cut its legs short. 

Oh, I wouldn't underestimate the attraction of The Nutcracker OS, especially in Europe. The Tschaikovsky ballet is still very popular (and maybe also the tale of E.T.A. Hoffmann in Germany). If the changes they made here don't piss off too many people and it's not horrible reviewed it will find its audience for sure.
Could also benefit from nostalgia like e.g. Murder on the Orient Express which made almost 250M OS (not completely comparable of course, the cast was more famous etc.). I can only speak for Germany but we still love these winter (fairy) tales like„Three Wishes for Cinderella“ which comes a dozen times on TV around Christmas every year (among several other Christmas classics). Maybe The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is released a bit too early in the year but OTOH IF it's well liked it has many weeks to collect fans.

I'm curious how it will do in its first seance in France tomorrow and on Wednesday; maybe then we know more.

And I'm sure if they wouldn't have messed with the originals this would have become a big hit.

• Like 1

Just now, el sid said:

Oh, I wouldn't underestimate the attraction of The Nutcracker OS, especially in Europe. The Tschaikovsky ballet is still very popular (and maybe also the tale of E.T.A. Hoffmann in Germany). If the changes they made here don't piss off too many people and it's not horrible reviewed it will find its audience for sure.
Could also benefit from nostalgia like e.g. Murder on the Orient Express which made almost 250M OS (not completely comparable of course, the cast was more famous etc.). I can only speak for Germany but we still love these winter (fairy) tales like„Three Wishes for Cinderella“ which comes a dozen times on TV around Christmas every year (among several other Christmas classics). Maybe The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is released a bit too early in the year but OTOH IF it's well liked it has many weeks to collect fans.

I'm curious how it will do in its first seance in France tomorrow and on Wednesday; maybe then we know more.

And I'm sure if they wouldn't have messed with the originals this would have become a big hit.

They did release a big budget version of the ballet a few years ago, and it did not do well at the box office.

And it looks less like a version of a beloved fairy tale but a rip off of one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The movie entered the Pulse top 5 earlier today. It's a Monday and there was pre-sales top 5 activity for a family live-action musical that isn't one of those Disney remakes (though it is Disney). I'd take it as a sign that Nutcracker is certainly not going under 20 million. Closer to 30, maybe.

It's selling really well around me for the weekend fwiw. I'm starting to think it'll see an opening similar to the last Christmas movie released by Disney on the first weekend of November (2009's A Christmas Carol, $30M).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They did release a big budget version of the ballet a few years ago, and it did not do well at the box office.

And it looks less like a version of a beloved fairy tale but a rip off of one.

I don't know what went wrong here, probably everything. I have never heard of it and was already a big fan of movie- and tracking-websites. I only saw now that it had bad reviews and at a max 115 theaters.

I think that with not horrible reviews (that is the premise) a Disney film with good promotion and the original story which resembles a lot that of The Beauty and the Beast would have had good chances. Presales for The Nutcracker and the Four Realms don't look bad today, even with all the mistakes.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6324221/Disneys-new-Nutcracker-movie-sweet-news-UK-film.html

Accounts for the two years to January show Nutcracker – filmed at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire and made by Mistletoe Pictures, an offshoot of Disney – had total costs of £103.8 million, with around £85.6 million spent in Britain.

• Like 1

Honestly, i think it could be a surprise hit. While i think Queen will win the weekend, this movie will be a strong 2nd place. i believe a 40 million opening won't be out of the question. Never underestimate a Disney Adventure especially when Venom is getting old.

Granted Fantastic Beasts is coming up in a few weeks after soo...

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Ok, I have a question. I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case cause it's a big change if true:

is Clara now the Nutcracker? cause the guy who is dressed like the Nutcracker (soldier) is barely in previews, all his scenes show him as her (comic relief?) side kick (as someone said elsewhere, like Rey and Finn) and he's very small on the group poster. OTOH, Clara gets dressed as the Nutcracker later and the title could be easily changed into Clara and the 4 realms cause it's all about her. The original story had Clara and Nutcracker (the Prince) as equally important but that doesn't seem to be the case here at all.

18 hours ago, Valonqar said:

@el sid Agreed and I corrected myself later that it should do decent in Europe cause it's a famous story. better than AWIT for sure. 

However, AWIT is/was alleged to be a beloved story in many circles. Therefore it was going to do great. We know how that turned out.

My pressing thought is: Are there enough double features to push Christopher Robin over the $100m this late in it's run?