Blankments

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms | Nov 2 2018 | Lasse Hallstrom

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Also had Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein, and this horrifying CG abomination as the titular Nutcracker.

hero_EB20101123REVIEWS101129987AR.jpg

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein singing about the Theory of Relativity to the tune of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.

6 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein singing about the Theory of Relativity to the tune of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.

It is apparent that Konchalovsky felt far more inspired, for lack of a better word, by his story’s antagonist, the Rat King (John Turturro, done up to resemble the Long Island Medium as a Whoville resident), who can lay claim to the film’s only sequence to approach the memorably ludicrous. To display his cruelty in front of his army of rat-men clad in SS uniforms, the fascist villain performs a PG-rated reenactment of the Joker’s “pencil trick” from The Dark Knight, sings the line “Welcome to a Stygian era!” (lyrics by Tim Rice!) and gleefully electrocutes a great white shark, which is shown slowly rising belly-up to the surface of its tank. The gung-ho hamminess of Turturro’s performance softens the impact of the character’s sadism, for better or for worse, but nothing can counterbalance the tastelessness of a later scene in which the Rat King photographs the crying children whose toys he and his soldiers are confiscating and incinerating in a giant furnace. Here Konchalovsky goes so far as to intercut black-and-white still photos of young tear-stained faces with the action, seeming to deliberately evoke Schindler’s List.

https://entropymag.org/happy-five-year-anniversary-the-nutcracker-in-3d-4/

This can't be a real movie. Holy shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol I was kinda contemplating seeing this because I love Disney and Christmas (especially together!) but nope, not now.

This is probably headed for the same fate as Alice Through the Looking Glass. Disney will have no problem sweeping this one under a rug as if it never happened.

Not so much that as Disney success rate is so high that it's flops are quickly forgotten.

Back in 2012, Disney had a huge bomb in John Carter, but a month later Avengers came out and no remembered.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

God, this sounds like a movie that really need to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Moral:There are some stories that just don't adapt well to the screen. The Nutcracker should probably stay in the world of ballet.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Not so much that as Disney success rate is so high that it's flops are quickly forgotten.

Back in 2012, Disney had a huge bomb in John Carter, but a month later Avengers came out and no remembered.

Not sure I agree, people remembered that bomb for year's:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/03/09/famous-flops-john-carter-became-shorthand-for-box-office-bomb/#7c142daa6828

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/John-Carter-Cost-Even-More-Money-Make-Than-We-Thought-67881.html (2014)

Books were released about it:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Carter-Hollywood-Michael-Sellers/dp/0615682316

People that greenlight the movies lost their job (Dick Cook),  than the people in charge of Disney movie when the movie got released lost is jobs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/disney-film-boss-quits-after-200m-john-carter-flop-1.1284276

The director never returned to live action.

There was even a strange conspiracy among the fanbase saying that Disney invented the fact if flopped to not do the sequels for some absurd strange reasons that went on for year's I think.

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, DAJK said:

How is Disney's deal with Netflix working? Is it all their 2018 releases will see some time on Netflix (so this and Poppins included) or is it that all Disney properties are removed from Netflix on Jan 1 2019? 

Jan 2019 is the cut off date for Netflix getting new films; they will be able to show movies released to Netflix before that date.

Disney might be able to pull something like simply delay releasing some 2018 films to streaming until their Streaming service is up and running; I don't know. But any Disney movie released after Jan 2019 goes to the new Disney service, which is scheduled to go on line next Septmeber.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

LOL, the Shay and all remember!!

John Carter was a much better movie.

• Haha 1

I said it before when the first trailer was released, and I'll say it again.

The moment I heard characters speak was the moment I clicked away in disinterest.

Two members of my family were in a production of The Nutcracker in my town. So I can say with certainty that if they had tried to go the artistic route instead of the pandering to children route, I might've had nostalgia for this.

It's a shame that Disney couldn't live up to the legacy. But what can I say? I think they're done making stuff on the artistic caliber of Fantasia. Artistry isn't where the money is. Not anymore.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

LOL, Disney shills on IMDB are hilarious:

Just another beautiful peice of art by Disney.

Suck it naysayers! This shill says all Disney movies are art and this one is no exception!

The most magical Disney film I have ever seen!

Wonderful movie

Another beautiful holiday fantasy from Disney.

One of the best Disney holidays movie

Outstanding!!!

:rofl:

• Like 1