kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

• Community Manager
12 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how people always claim Hollywood movies are predictable, boring  and unimaginative.

" We want original movies !!!!"

Throw them a curveball and they reject it vehemently.

They will praise West Side Story remake next year.

Oh, the sweet, tender irony of these people.

They are unaware conservatives.

Hard to be original when you're the second adaptation of a Broadway play. 

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Hard to be original when you're the second adaptation of a Broadway play. 

Not to mention that being "Original" and 'Outside the Box" is not enough, you also have to be good.

Lots of "Original" and "Offbeat" films turn out to be pretty bad.

But then I think Futurists act lost all amusement value it may have at one time had a long,long, time ago.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Free Drinks and Food are pretty much SOP at Critics' Screenings.

The critics on Breakfast All Day also noted the free alcohol offer at the Cats screening-if people who do the job professionally found it unusual, I'll take their word for it.

I looked it up on Twitter, the booze to critics looks to be a film festival thing, at least at Cannes, a bit more highbrow than local screenings and might explain the "festival highs" that happen sometimes. Also saw a 2011 tweet from an attendee of an early Johnny English Reborn screening, they noted lots of free food/booze on offer and concluded the movie was bad with the studio trying to win over the critics. 

I wonder how much the "improved visual effects" added to the budget?

Universal purchased the film rights to Cats decades ago and took it out of development hell in 2013, hoping to replicate the success of Les Miserables. Tom Hooper was brought on board to direct in 2016. He does seem passionate about it but doing it wasn't initially his idea.

Edited by EmmaPeel
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 9:44 AM, Eric Laurence said:

I love her

Bro, I can understand Elon Musk trashing Cats, but not Brie Larson. Hey , Brie, the cast of Cats are your fellow actors. What if your Captain Marvel turned out to be the worst movie of the century and other actors trashed it on twitter? How would you feel about that, huh?

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin

On 12/22/2019 at 1:25 PM, Madhuvan said:

Honest opinion :

I really loved Cats. It was very enjoyable movie throughout. I don't know what you all were expecting. I expected Cats and I got Cats. 

Yes, CGI was wonky at times but everything else was just perfect. A perfect movie for holidays. 

8/10 

Wish there was more Tay-Tay. 

Knowing that Tay-Tay kind of breaks out in Cats (relatively speaking when compared with other cast members), I just want her in one of those DCEU movies. :sparta:

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Any oscar condiseration ads would just get Universal even more laughed at over Cats then they already are.

Not going to be fun to be a Universal exec at the popular Hollywood watering spots for the next few weeks.

• Like 1

You read it correctly, West Side Story, a movie with no original bone in its body will be praised to the heavens next year from the same people who are, you know, very concerned by the state of cinema right now.

Oh, tender irony.

Sing to me that Alanis song.

Don 't you think ?

Yeah I really do think.

13 hours ago, The Futurist said:

You read it correctly, West Side Story, a movie with no original bone in its body will be praised to the heavens next year from the same people who are, you know, very concerned by the state of cinema right now.

Oh, tender irony.

Sing to me that Alanis song.

Don 't you think ?

Yeah I really do think.

Or maybe Cats is just a bad movie?

A Cats movie was always going to get bad reviews due to not having a real story. The play was always more spectacle and I do recall people saying that while popular, the play wasn't "great."

The problem with the film is that there's no spectacle, just uncanny valley. Well, more like uncanny black hole. The only way this film would have worked is two methods

1. Fully Animated Film (which almost happened) or "Faux Live Action" with photoreal CGI cats singing and prancing around.

2. Basically what we got but instead of CGI we have the actors in makeup resembling what was in the play.

No, what we got is a movie that made critics minds go bonkers and have some groups of people saying its the next big midnight movie like The Room and Rock Horror, when, it, it really is not. My God, its not.  Rocky Horror is legitimately fun and Room is a laugh riot, while Cats is just.......EHRUAGGH

• Like 2