kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

Why would this have any effect on future musical-adaptations?

This is not a failure of the source material, this movie was DOA as soon as the trailer hit.

I still can't believe that a bunch of pros didn't see this coming when greenlighting the film.

There were no unfinished scripts, there were no problems at set.

It was just a massive misjudgement of epic proportions. 

Let's see if it can still crawl to $200m+. 

2 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Why would this have any effect on future musical-adaptations?

This is not a failure of the source material, this movie was DOA as soon as the trailer hit.

I'm pretty sure there is no universe in which a film adaptation of Cats would've turned out well unless they had done a complete makeover of the source material. This isn't a Jersey Boys situation where it ended up in the hands of the wrong director.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure there is no universe in which a film adaptation of Cats would've turned out well unless they had done a complete makeover of the source material. This isn't a Jersey Boys situation where it ended up in the hands of the wrong director.

Hooper thought he could do is, so he is to blame, that he tried. 

I actually really like some of the creative choices -- particularly the set design of everything's BIG and their cat size.  It gives it a weird feel, which works, cause Cats is a weird show.  They just went so wrong with the CGI.

TBH, and maybe it's just cause I'm working on it, the whole thing reminds me a bit of Hello Dolly!'s Parade Scene.  Just because you CAN spend $3 million dollars and have 2500 extras on screen, does't mean you SHOULD.  Why are you spending more money on a musical in 2019 than you have to?  You are not going to recoup your budget with Digital Fur Technology.  Just put them in the damn fursuits.  

28 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Unfortunately its a paywall, so can't read the actual review.

Once seen, the only realistic way to fix Cats would be to spay it, or simply pretend it never happened. Because it’s an all-time disaster – a rare and star-spangled calamity which will leave jaws littered across floors and agents unemployed,  

Cats is a "nightmare production" with "nauseating lurches in scale and perspective."

"The Frankensteinian marriage of live performance, 'digital fur technology' and human/cat anatomical splicing – the boobs! they have boobs??!! – has such endlessly sinister impact that the film's U certificate ought to be an 18," says Robey."Finding any high point in Cats," signs of Robey, "takes some serious scratching."

For the first time since the head-spinningly dire dadcom Old Dogs in 2010, I'm giving a film no stars.

Edited by 1Robert1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1