Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Critics Consensus: Blair Witchdoles out a handful of effective scares, but aside from a few new twists, it mainly offers a belated rehash of the original -- and far more memorable -- first film.

So, the problem is that it is a rehash of the original movie? Well, it didn't seems to bother critics when came from The Force Awakens or Jurassic World.

"rehash" of old material is the number one criticism I have seen of franchises I like this year.   If the critics put into their reviews the originality they demand of motion pictures, the world would be a better place.

47 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

That's because both TFA and JW were better received movies..

But the critics are saying their reception to this is poorer because this is a rehash. 

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Force Awakens was paramount for the health of the american economy, literrally bllions were at stake, there was no way mass media were gonna trash or attack the film.

I agree.  TFA and JW were simply too big to fail.  Not that they weren't great, but a critic taking them on with 'rehash' platitudes would have been taking on a lot. 

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Fuck critics....I am seeing this. 

Horror films are so personal. "One man's trash the other's treasure" saying definitely applies to the horror genre.

Babadook is a perfect example. (Yeah I know this gets brought up a ton) See horror fans (the ones I know) didn't really enjoy the film that much. It isn't pure horror. Meanwhile, critics and artsy film fans ate it up and hailed it as the best horror flick in a long time. 

You want a good horror film though? It Follows. 

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Like 2

As the biggest fan of Wingard and Barrett on here (I made the thread when the movie was still called The Woods, and I never post threads in this forum), this isn't horribly surprising to me. The original film was one of the most divisive horror movies of all-time, and it's a very specific film that making a sequel that's true to the first movie, scary, and completely original is a tall, tall order. Now, I would've preferred if the movie just wasn't a Blair Witch Project sequel and was rather just scary and original, rather than worrying about faithfulness, and that movie would probably have been better received than this one. But as long as it's been known that it is in fact a Blair Witch sequel, this was the reception it was bound to get. And it's not even poor reception. It's just mixed. Which isn't bad. When was the last found-footage horror film to get universally glowing reviews? Even the first Paranormal Activity had plenty of detractors. The recent trend in critically-acclaimed horror is a result of a much higher standard of filmmaking in movies like It Follows and The Babadook. Unless they completely reinvent the wheel, you aren't getting that in a shaky-cam movie that takes place in the woods.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

As the biggest fan of Wingard and Barrett on here (I made the thread when the movie was still called The Woods, and I never post threads in this forum), this isn't horribly surprising to me. The original film was one of the most divisive horror movies of all-time, and it's a very specific film that making a sequel that's true to the first movie, scary, and completely original is a tall, tall order. Now, I would've preferred if the movie just wasn't a Blair Witch Project sequel and was rather just scary and original, rather than worrying about faithfulness, and that movie would probably have been better received than this one. But as long as it's been known that it is in fact a Blair Witch sequel, this was the reception it was bound to get. And it's not even poor reception. It's just mixed. Which isn't bad. When was the last found-footage horror film to get universally glowing reviews? Even the first Paranormal Activity had plenty of detractors. The recent trend in critically-acclaimed horror is a result of a much higher standard of filmmaking in movies like It Follows and The Babadook. Unless they completely reinvent the wheel, you aren't getting that in a shaky-cam movie that takes place in the woods.

Contrary to what the trailers for Blair Witch have failed to do, the initial trailer for The Woods actually gave me goosebumps. I was looking forward to it.

But after discovering that it was really a sequel to The Blair Witch Project, I felt like a balloon that had a hole punched in it. Not as creepy, not as exciting. That sense of mystery is gone now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Bacon said:

Paranormal Activity 3.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Reviews for that film were good, but I'm not sure how 68% on RT means glowing. I guess for the genre it does. 

They are glowing compared to the ones of Blair Witch lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emerald kikyou said:

so , I have two questions:

1- Does it end with a person standing in the corner?

2-Does it have pitch black darkness scenes that goes on for God knows how long?

Spoiler

kind of. two characters stand in the corner trying not to see the witch and both get 'tricked' that one of their friends is behind them so that they turn around. 

Spoiler

A couple but they dont go on for that long, it doesnt have as many plainly boring scenes as the original.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ainsleyb said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Then I'm good! Going tomorrow to see it :) Thanks for answering the questions.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

The courage to take a stand and declare you're going to see a movie no matter what those idiot critics say....I admire it. 

lol I'm like this too with some movies. For example, there are too many people in Collateral Beauty for me to pass on seeing it, even if I almost diabetes from watching the trailer.

I watched the original Blair Witch for the first time ever last night and really enjoyed it. Didn't really view it as a horror movie; more a meditation on terror that was really well-done.

Got the trailer for this one at Sausage Party last night. Maybe it was because I had just seen the original but it seems kinda like a remake, which isn't something I'm looking for. Still, I'll probably check it out

BTW, check out this oral history of the original film.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

lol I'm like this too with some movies. For example, there are too many people in Collateral Beauty for me to pass on seeing it, even if I almost diabetes from watching the trailer.

That particular movie looks like hell on earth, but see whatever movie you want! I've seen some movies most others would have no interest in. I just get a kick out of people who yell "Screw them, I'm going anyway!" as an act of defiance.

• Like 2

Just now, RichWS said:

I just get a kick out of people who yell "Screw them, I'm going anyway!" as an act of defiance.

lol yeah. Those always slay me.

Even better are those who blame everyone but the filmmakers and the studio. Yes, the poor critical reception for these recent DC movies is totally Hillary Clinton's fault. lmao. wut.