Kevin Bacon

BLAIR WITCH | Sequel to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT | 9/16/16 | The Blair Witch returns as The Blair "Blair Witch" Witch

Gotta tell you guys, the reviews for this have me all tingly inside and out.  I'm not for reviews to influence me but I do respect some of the reviewers who have weighed in so far.  They pretty much all say that Wingard has blown the roof off of the horror genre and the last third of this film is going to rewrite the book on horror.

Slight spoilers in this little blurb here, but nothing that gives away plot pieces:

Spoiler

This is also a world where the characters have not only seen The Blair Witch Project, which presumably exists as a real document in their world, but where characters have enough technology and common sense to prepare. They have GPS, they don’t want to go off looking for their straggler in the middle of the night, they’re skeptical about all the legends they’ve heard. For these characters to feel peril, the film has to really strip away all their safety nets and it does so organically so that new threats can develop in the world of Blair Witch.

Blair Witch is a love letter to the film that began the found footage horror craze. Even though it would takeParanormal Activity and proliferation of consumer cameras to cause a glut of found footage horror movies, The Blair Witch Project is the one that started it all. Blair Witch honors its tradition and uses all the tricks filmmakers have learned in the past 17 years to make us scared of the woods again.

and then this beauty:

Spoiler

Blair Witch won’t affect seasoned horror fans (as much), but rest assured that it will destroyeveryone else. This film will hurt people. It’s the emotional experience that transcends traditional narrative storytelling and ascends to a place of Nirvana. What I mean by this is that, whether they can verbalize it or not, moviegoers understand the basic structure to a story. So, while someone watching Blair Witch may think they know what’s going to happen next, they don’t. The film breaks the mold of traditional horror and pushes the boundaries to the absolute brink.

While the complete annihilation of the narrative will throw viewers for a loop, Wingard sucker-punches them with a flurry of the most intense and jarring sound design in the history of horror, which is going to leave many viewers rattled. The sound is simply one of the many well-designed “props” in this relentless funhouse of terror thats coup de grâce is the claustrophobic tunnel sequence that will have everyone squirming for the exits

September 16th seems so far away.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Gotta tell you guys, the reviews for this have me all tingly inside and out.  I'm not for reviews to influence me but I do respect some of the reviewers who have weighed in so far.  They pretty much all say that Wingard has blown the roof off of the horror genre and the last third of this film is going to rewrite the book on horror.

Slight spoilers in this little blurb here, but nothing that gives away plot pieces:

Reveal hidden contents

and then this beauty:

Reveal hidden contents

September 16th seems so far away.

Welp, now I have to see Blair Witch Project now.

• Like 2

Wow, the reviews for this have it like some kind of masterpiece.

Gotta say: this has been the best year for horror in God knows how long. Possibly the best in the 21st Century. The Conjuring 2, Lights Out, The Shallows, The Witch and (I don't consider it horror but a lot of people do) 10 Cloverfield Lane were all smash hits. Netflix's Hush got strong reviews. The Purge 3 and The Boy were also highly successful. And now, Don't Breathe and Blair Witch are also getting raves.

Just hoping Ouija 2 doesn't ruin things... but I've heard plenty of good about the trailer (which I haven't seen), and it is directed by the guy that made Hush and Oculus (as is Before I Wake), so there is hope for that too.

• Like 1

I can personally say that it is a decent film, but the hyperbole is way too much.  It does the job it is supposed to do, but it to me is an over polished version of the original.  Don't go in with your expectations too high and you will enjoy.  It should do well in September.  

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I can personally say that it is a decent film, but the hyperbole is way too much.  It does the job it is supposed to do, but it to me is an over polished version of the original.  Don't go in with your expectations too high and you will enjoy.  It should do well in September.  

Does this mean I won't have to take Dramamine before going to the theater?

4 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Does this mean I won't have to take Dramamine before going to the theater?

I mean more that it looks too clean and the actors are too good looking compared to the original.  The production is also much cleaner.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Oh, alright then, gotta keep expectations in check. But then again, I'm pretty sure you're the guy that said that The Conjuring 2 is not a movie you were a fan of, so I guess our opinions don't have too much in common, then :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

I mean more that it looks too clean and the actors are too good looking compared to the original.  The production is also much cleaner.  

How many F bombs are in this?

I hope it's about 500 or so fewer, because the original was nothing but those people yelling "F***" for 2hrs.

6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I'm so excited for this.

Hoping it does what every horror film this year has failed to do: actually scares me. For more than 5 seconds.

How many horror films are actually outright scary, though?

I'm not talking loud "jump scares," but where you have sustained fear/tension.

I haven't been scared since The Exorcist, and that's probably because my aunt was a nurse who witnessed a possessed person, so I heard freaky stories and believe in the phenomenon.

4 hours ago, nilephelan said:

Fair enough but I've and hoping that there is another horror movie that comes along and kind of changes the game a little bit. I am going to go in and try to contain myself and not expect too much but there are some Publications that I do trust in terms of horror that have praised this pretty high so I am going to be pretty excited with it.

• Like 1