La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

51 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't really think the box office is "depressed" like people keep saying-people just don't want to see the movies that are out over this one month span. Everything has a completely reasonable explanation for doing exactly what it did, and they would have done so in any climate. Civil War has audience fatigue (and lulz piracy), Neighbors 2, Alice, and TMNT2 are shitty looking sequels to movies with meh reception, and X-Men lost the entire original cast and had no real "hook" to it- not to mention the bad reviews. Conjuring 2, ID42 (maybe), Central Intelligence, and Dory all seem ripe to do very well. I don't think it's a condition of the box office/movie economy. It's just a slate of movies that regular people don't care that much about (outside of Civil War, but even there I have a lot to say about how audiences over 40 are sick of superhero movies). 

They had a strong hook imo but then they did this,

Spoiler

:apocalypse:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't really think the box office is "depressed" like people keep saying-people just don't want to see the movies that are out over this one month span.  I don't think it's a condition of the box office/movie economy. It's just a slate of movies that regular people don't care that much about

YUP.

• Like 2

Everything is flopping it looks like. Me Before You looks like the winner of the weekend. Popstar is D.O.A. Turtles could likely get $27-$29 million OW and probably might not make $100 million domestic :(. (Wanted it to light up June) well 2016 is beginning to die down now, wait till December and they complain about ticket sales then 2017 breaks record.

• Like 1

Well, Me Before You sure capitalized on its strong marketing, we might as well celebrate it as the winner of the weekend already. TMNT 2 gon BOMB, LAWL. Popstar was always DOA.

Fuck's sake, I hope to all the Devils that The Conjuring 2 provides the first real breakout of the Summer.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

Are you bringing your family, or do you just like a bargain?

The wife has wanted to watch Angry Birds since it released, but has been too busy with college which ended this week. And I liked the first TMNT and this one has all the favorite characters I remember from the cartoon when I was a kid, 9$ for 2 movies is a major bargain, and the drive-in is pretty close by as well

http://missiontiki.com/nowplaying/friday/

How can studios such Paramount, LGF and Sony (not to mention the others) survive a streak of bombs without any reaction. They still think the same way about movie market. Either those movies are not losing money and making low profit or these studios are counting on more investors and loans!!!!

• Like 3

So..... can I make the announcement?

Okay.

Remember that epic legs post earlier this year, when I accused 10 Cloverfield Lane of having Mary Liz Winstead legs, or The Revenant of having bear legs, or BVS of having a broken Superman toy's legs?

Well, this weekend, IT'S THE SEQUEL - LEGSTLEMANIA II!

following excited gif yes gif yay gif elf gif

#SUNDAYJUNE5th

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Why are you putting Civil War along those movies? "Audience fatigue" doesn't make a movie open to $170M+.

37 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Why are you putting Civil War along those movies? "Audience fatigue" doesn't make a movie open to $170M+.

I meant relative to expectations and the performance of comparisons like Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron, which featured similar characters and hooks. As you can see I still noted that it was very impressive- I just think Marvel has hit a ceiling. 

NOTE: And before this starts a flame war, with the exception of a break the mold TDK type movie, I think all superhero movies have. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't really think the box office is "depressed" like people keep saying-people just don't want to see the movies that are out over this one month span. Everything has a completely reasonable explanation for doing exactly what it did, and they would have done so in any climate. Civil War has audience fatigue (and lulz piracy), Neighbors 2, Alice, and TMNT2 are shitty looking sequels to movies with meh reception, and X-Men lost the entire original cast and had no real "hook" to it- not to mention the bad reviews. Conjuring 2, ID42 (maybe), Central Intelligence, and Dory all seem ripe to do very well. I don't think it's a condition of the box office/movie economy. It's just a slate of movies that regular people don't care that much about (outside of Civil War, but even there I have a lot to say about how audiences over 40 are sick of superhero movies). 

Easy to say this now, even if there were signs for all of them. 

Personally, Conjuring 2 will not beat the first but will cross $100m, ID42 will make over $300m, CI will not make more than $80m and Dory will lose to Nemo unadjusted.

Don't know why there is a difference between Dory and Alice 2 for example in terms of the trailer. Dory's trailers and plot have been substandard from day 1. Nostalgia probably won't cut it, and people are certainly less nostalgic about Nemo than Toy Story.