Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

So I was at the NYCC Panel where they showed the first 24 minutes and be honest, I honest to god can't tell if it will be good. The footage they showed was kinda this one giant action piece but it's also setting up a lot of characters that I honestly don't know if their going to get the screen time to develop them. I really enjoy the look of the film, but i'm curious how their going to promote this when we get closer to the release date. It could be a little jarring for GA

I was at the 20th Century Fox panel as well where they showed footage for Dark Phoenix and Alita: Dark Angel and the footage they showed for both, made me more exited then what I saw for Mortal Engines.  

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

This is going to get completely lost in the holiday rush. 47 Ronin/Assassin's Creed numbers are the best case scenario.

It's idiotically releasing against Spiderman: Into the SpiderVerse and will get mauled by Aquaman. It needs to move to like late February.

I don't want to seem like a troll or a hater but this movie wouldn't do well in any release date. There is no hook here, the story sounds generic fantasy stuff that is rejected by general audiences, the cast is unappealing, the setting is confusing. It would need stellar reviews promising some unique experience for people to get excited.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

What if I told you all other than Mary Poppins, this ended up being the best reviewed and most successful box office movie for December?

I'd believe you. This film is free from any franchise baggage that could weigh it down, if that's something the film wants to capitalize on. Plus, Peter Jackson's involvement in any capacity is a plus. His name is on the product.

41 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don't want to seem like a troll or a hater but this movie wouldn't do well in any release date. There is no hook here, the story sounds generic fantasy stuff that is rejected by general audiences, the cast is unappealing, the setting is confusing. It would need stellar reviews promising some unique experience for people to get excited.

Generic fantasy stuff vs generic comic book stuff, take your pick...

The setting is interesting and not generic at all, except for the fact it's post apocalyptic, which can mean many things, however. Big cities on wheels? Make for some exciting visuals.

Somebody compared the cast with the one in Valerian. Disagree. They come off as much more, dunno how to put it, less like putting an act on, likable. No big names? Sure, but i doubt anybody would look at this and say "i hate these people".

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

I don't want to seem like a troll or a hater but this movie wouldn't do well in any release date.

Think it would have done better at the date where Alita has moved, a few weeks with little (direct) competition - but now it is too late.

As it is, ME is going to be steamrolled by other December blockbusters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Generic fantasy stuff vs generic comic book stuff, take your pick...

The setting is interesting and not generic at all, except for the fact it's post apocalyptic, which can mean many things, however. Big cities on wheels? Make for some exciting visuals.

Somebody compared the cast with the one in Valerian. Disagree. They come off as much more, dunno how to put it, less like putting an act on, likable. No big names? Sure, but i doubt anybody would look at this and say "i hate these people".

I just think that's how the general audience could be perceiving it based on what the trailers are selling. That's not my personal opinion. I hope it does well, of course, but I don't feel like many people will be interested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

The name Peter Jackson doesn't carry much weight these days after The Lovely Bones and the no1curr Hobbit movies.

The lovely bones is a dark, uncomfortable and unsettling thriller/drama about a girl getting abused and kiiled in the process, without holding any salvation or solace for neither it's parents nor the audience (despite Tucci's fate at the end). No robots, no spaceships, no mutants, no OOOOOHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!-effects. You could put the name Cameron on the poster and it wouldn't sell better. (Iron Jimbo entering thread in 5, 4, 3,...)

The hobbit trilogy "no1currd" made slightly more bucks (2,935) that the lotr trilogy (2,911 - both series unadjusted). So I really don't get your point.

Edited by incognitoo
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

The lovely bones is a dark, uncomfortable and unsettling thriller/drama about a girl getting abused and kiiled in the process, without holding any salvation or solace for neither it's parents nor audience (despite Tucci's fate at the end). No robots, no spaceships, no mutants, no OOOOOHHHHHAAAAAAAAWWWWWW!-effects. You could put the name Cameron on the poster and it wouldn't sell better. (Iron Jimbo entering thread in 5, 4, 3,...)

The hobbit trilogy "no1currd" made slightly more bucks (2,935) that the lotr trilogy (2,911 - both series unadjusted). So I really don't get your point.

Point was is that his name hasn't been associated with high quality or must-see projects for a while (The Lovely Bones was an especially notable failed awards contender given how acclaimed the book was, and while the Hobbit movies made a lot of money thanks to their Lord of the Rings connection, does anyone even remember anything that happened in them nearly four years after the final one?) and that the afterglow of Lord of the Rings has pretty much faded away 15 years after the last one. I'm less inclined to believe that crazy Jackson stans that tout anything he attaches his name to still exist in 2018 like Cameron clearly does with Alita, hence why this will just fly under the radar and get lost in the holiday shuffle.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1