kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

Just saw this on IMAX, and yes... it doesn't go deep, it's not tragic in the way people want biopics to deem them as "respectable" and it's certainly sanitized and thoughtful... but it's also a celebration of Freddie's legendary life, his talent and his flaws (they did show a lot but not in an explicitly graphic manner)

Malek gives one of the greatest performance EVER, because y'all know damn well how difficult is nailing a Freddie Mercury role and he makes it seems effortless. Anything less than sweeping all the best actor awards would be laughable (but it's not gonna happen, not "respectable" enough even though every review I've read praised him). As a gay man, the way they handled it was great. 

I've never enjoyed more watching a movie, this is a total crowd pleaser. People stayed the whole credits in awe.

Perhaps this will do better with casual fans (which is like everyone in the world) than with die-hard fans who wanted more behind the scene drama, but whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been out since Wednesday here, but we’re going to see Bad Times at the el Royale today instead. 

I’ve heard it was good from one person though, although he said it was tamed down to get a 12A rating. So maybe not so much of a deep dive into the life of the singer and more a jukebox musical. 

8 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Malek gives one of the greatest performance EVER, because y'all know damn well how difficult is nailing a Freddie Mercury role and he makes it seems effortless. Anything less than sweeping all the best actor awards would be laughable

😐

• Like 1

The film hasn't come out in the states yet so can't speak to word of mouth here. 

Malek has no chance of winning an Oscar so any hyperbole one has about the performance will end in crushing disappointment on the awards circuit.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

On 10/28/2018 at 9:22 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

The film hasn't come out in the states yet so can't speak to word of mouth here. 

Malek has no chance of winning an Oscar so any hyperbole one has about the performance will end in crushing disappointment on the awards circuit.

Gosling has no chance of winning either. Both are vying for one of 2 also run spots and also runs are the most vulnerable. Both have strengths and weaknesses:

Rami - popular movie, guaranteed blockbuster by the look of presales and how it's blowing up in UK, iconic historical person, praised performance, but bad reviews for the movie

Gosling - praised performance and movie, iconic historical figure but boxoffice bomb

Top 3 (in no particular order): Bale, Cooper, Mortensen.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Gosling has no chance of winning either. Both are vying for one of 2 also run spots and also runs are the most vulnerable. Both have strengths and weaknesses:

Rami - popular movie, guaranteed blockbuster by the look of presales and how it's blowing up in UK, iconic historical person, praised performance, but bad reviews for the movie

Gosling - praised performance and movie, iconic historical figure but boxoffice bomb

Top 3 (in no particular order): Bale, Cooper, Mortensen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gosling is not nominated all together. 

On 10/28/2018 at 6:08 AM, FantasticBeasts said:

The WoM for this is terrific. Reviews won't hurt it.

Yeah, it will be probably be similar to Venom in that way. Except less of a "terrible mess yet fun" vibe, because it actually contains a decent lead performance that doesn't seem lost in the mix. Still, this is Freddie we're talking about. I feel like a film that circumvents his personal turmoil with AIDs and his sexuality during that time seems like a major missed opportunity. I understand they're trying to celebrate the best qualities, but it seems like they're also avoiding them at the same time. To be honest, this sounds more flaccid than something like Velvet Goldmine.

Edited by ThePhasmid

4 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Yeah, it will be probably be similar to Venom in that way.

Well it also has significantly better reviews than Venom (55% v 30% on RT). Reviews are similar to TGS (56%) and Mama Mia! (55%), if it is a crowd pleaser then reviews are more likely to hurt its chances at awards - not necessarily the box office.

The systematic whining on Biopics movies have become as cliché as the clichés they whine about.

Not sure what people want with these movies.

Celebrating Mercury & Queen's music is not gritty enough ?

One of the worst trend of our current social media age is all those poeple who whine about historical inacuracies ( they didn't include this or that or whatever ...) about historical and biopic movies.

They are movies, Geez.

You want History ?

Grab a book or subscirbe to the History Channel.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Frozen said:

Is Freddie really shamed for being gay in this? I don’t want to see this if that’s true. 

I havent'n seen any material? I do not know. Might be more about how many partners (see slut...)?

On 10/29/2018 at 8:52 PM, Frozen said:

Is Freddie really shamed for being gay in this? I don’t want to see this if that’s true. 

He isn't.  It's made clear he did have a lot of partners and a lot of sex/drug parties but it's never too explicit. I never thought of it as shameful or distasteful.

IMO they found a way to acknowledge most of it but without going into a full tragedy (aka what some people wanted + behind the scene drama) putting his career in the spotlight. 

It's nothing (most) people haven't read before. 

14 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Straight Outta Compton will provide a more compelling portrait of a musical artist struggling with AIDs despite the various historical cornerstones the group was involved with. It's OK. People are just "whining" about important omissions.

straight outta compton showed a load of thugs whining about having it tough because they were indeed thugs. I wouldn't call them musical artists because their music is pure shit. they should all be in prison imo

• Like 1