CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Tired: Dune is the next LOTR, Star Wars, etc...

Wired: Dune is the next Baahubali.

Seriously though, Baahubali really feels like the best comparison to this from the past decade or so. I'm surprised even none of the other Indians on here felt like both films had similar vibes.

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Tired: Dune is the next LOTR, Star Wars, etc...

Wired: Dune is the next Baahubali.

Seriously though, Baahubali really feels like the best comparison to this from the past decade or so. I'm surprised even none of the other Indians on here felt like both films had similar vibes.

I didn't see much similarity. What similarities did you see? 

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

I didn't see much similarity. What similarities did you see? 

Aside from the fact that it's also one part of a two parter, I think what makes both Baahubali and this so similar is just that they're the only two films from the past 10 years or so that feel like geniune epics. And I'd say Dune is closer to Baahubali than something like the Avatar or the LOTR films due to how much of the production design, costumes, and even the music, is quite clearly influenced by West Asian and South Asian culture. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Aside from the fact that it's also one part of a two parter, I think what makes both Baahubali and this so similar is just that they're the only two films from the past 10 years or so that feel like geniune epics. And I'd say Dune is closer to Baahubali than something like the Avatar or the LOTR films due to how much of the production design, costumes, and even the music, is quite clearly influenced by West Asian and South Asian culture. 

Hmm, I got more of a Middle Eastern vibe from the production design/costumes/music. Didn't really remind me much of Baahubali or Indian culture in general. Were there any specific things that you noticed? I'm interested in this comparison. 

9 minutes ago, Menor said:

Hmm, I got more of a Middle Eastern vibe from the production design/costumes/music. Didn't really remind me much of Baahubali or Indian culture in general. Were there any specific things that you noticed? I'm interested in this comparison. 

It's all very broad stuff, nothing in specific (the most specific I could get is that the battle horn motif reminded me of Baahubali). And imo Middle Eastern and Indian culture visually share a lot of elements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Well, maybe that the Freman culture in the novel was clearly heavily influenced by Bedouin Arab culture has something to do with it?

1 hour ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

“Eternals” was never in any serious talks for Best Pic… “Dune” will probably get nominated, along with 8-9 other categories. 

It is going to be a while before a CBM get serious BP consideration .

Look at how long it took for a Scifi/Fantasy film to get a BP nod. COme to think of it, let's not forget the long drought between "Cimmeron" in 1931 and "Dances With Wolves" in 1990 for a Western to win, despite the popularity of the genre for much of that time.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Well, maybe that the Freman culture in the novel was clearly heavily influenced by Bedouin Arab culture has something to do with it?

People read a lot of stuff into movies that is not really there all the time.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It is going to be a while before a CBM get serious BP consideration .

And society is to blame for that, because every time an auteur director tried to do something different and unique inside the genre, critics and fans ranted about the lack of fun and jokes.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I hope Denis has something else he's working on before "Dune 2".

There ain't any time, if they're committing to having Part 2 out in October 2023.  He'll be sinking right back into the sands...

• Like 1

Villeneuve said Part 1 already laid out the ground work, now he can just go bananas (that's not a quote) with what he called "a cinematic party" in Part 2. Expecting lots of cinematic actions and less people talking (that's a quote).

kind of intrigued to see Denis Villeneuve go full action mode lol, Nolan is not too good at that.